- advertisement -

pre-diabetes turned into Type 2 last Monday

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by kitty, Jan 19, 2006.

1. kitty

kitty Approved members

Last Monday, my Mom took me to the hospital for a really bad kidney infection (these are common if you use a Foley catheter 24/7). When I was there, I told the doctor that I had pre-diabetes.
    He did a blood test on a meter and it registered at 300mg/dl, so he drew some blood for a lab test. The lab test said the same thing, so he said I had Type 2 diabetes. I was put on an IV and 2 days later, I was relased from the hospital, but had to take a little bit of insulin still to keep my blood sugar down (I'm using the Novolin R Pen). The shots don't bother me one bit, becuase Mom has to change my infusion site in my back where I get medicine delivered for spasticity once a week (I hooked to a special pump that delivers the medicine into my back), so I'm used to needles.
    My Mom was shocked that pre-diabetes turned into Type 2 diabetes so quickly. The only symptoms I had recently was really bad fatigue and I had to empty my leg bag more often.
    I still have to do 4 blood tests daily, eat healthy, exercise and am still taking a small dose of insulin once a day. My main doctor said that in a couple days, if my blood sugar has stayed down well, he'll put me on oral medicine. I also have to test for ketones whenever I feel sick or get a bad infection (the MediSense company gave me a Precision Xtra meter to do this with).

Is it possible that the kidney infection made the pre-diabetes progress into Type 2 quicker? In December, when I was told I had pre-diabetes, the doctor told me that my levels were only 20 mg/dl away from a Type 2 range, but he said that it would go down with better eating and exercise.
    I'm so confused!

Anyone want to chat? Did you get diagnosed quickly?

Jessie:cool:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Approved members

Have you gone to an adult endocrinologist? Sometimes when you have an infection with Type II insulin is needed to get the BG down. My Father-in-Law had an infection after a knee surgery and they gave him Insulin in the hospital...refused to continue at home and increased his oral meds until the infection was gone. The point is...maybe the insulin and/or oral meds may not be needed after the infection is gone. An endo would probably give you more information and peace of mind in what you are dealing with.

3. kitty

kitty Approved members

Mom took me back to the main doctor yesterday afternoon, and the kidney infection is completely cleared up and I don't have to take the insulin anymore. Right now, since my blood sugar has gone back down, he is just having me eat better and exercise more.

The endocrinologist I saw that day said that my levels were only a few mg/dl away from Type 2 diabetic level, so she said I most likely have Type 2 diabetes. At first, she said that I still had pre-diabetes, but after doing some tests, she confirmed the Type 2 diagnosis. I just got the results back later that day. I'm scared and upset about this, but Mom said to just learn to live with it like I have with my other 2 disabilities (epilepsy and spastic paraparesis), so that's what I'm gonna do. Sorry for the confusion earlier!!

Man, I'm so confused!!!! I told Mom that I had never been more scared in my life like I was on Monday! Thanks for letting me know about the adult endocrinologist! I'm glad I saw her!

Jessie

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006