- advertisement -

Pre-diabetes in children

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Mar 4, 2008.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Anyone know anything about pre-diabetic conditions in children. I have a 6-year old son with Type 1 and a husband with Type 1. My younger son's fasting blood sugar was 107. He is 4-years-old.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

It sounds like you have a string family history of Type 1 but I don't think 1 off bg is cause to say your other son is developing it yet. Bg can be off in non-D people for a number of reasons. I would test him periodically to see if you get more high numbers. Or if he is symptomatic take him to the dr to get more tests done (like for the antibodies that show he is developing it). The TrialNet study will test him for free if your doc won't. I think when people speak of "pre-diabetes" (which is a featsing bg between 100-120) they really mean pre-type 2, a condition which could turn into type 2, hold steady, or get better. Type 1 is not really avoidable like that as I am sure you know.

3. momandwifeoftype1s

I'm signing him up for TrialNet, but we haven't started yet. Two diabetic kids plus a diabetic spouse would be really scary. My younger son is constantly thirsty and urinates often, but not so much that I think he is currently diabetic. I guess I'm on super alert. Is there a correlation between diabetes and Autism spectrum?

Amy

4. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We are also on #2 watch! My 2 yr old is peeing a lot. BG seems to be okay but I did have a 134 the other day.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

134 is pretty high. Are you doing the TrialNet program?

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We have done it but have not continued. I have thought about taking him back in, but in the end it won't change the outcome. I am just going to wait and see what happens. Obviously we are all more aware of the symptoms and would catch it much faster the second time. I am going to give it some time and see what happens before I sign him up for a blood draw.

7. Boo

Boo Approved members

Unless you are seeing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much about a 107, even if it was a fasting number. Remember that the meters generally have a 20% +/- margin of error, meaning that the 107 could feasibly be somewhere in the 90's. Given your family history, I'd keep a close eye on him... but as a mom of a type 1, and the wife of a type 1, I'm sure you already are!! ;)

8. momandwifeoftype1s

Pre-diabetes

That's good to hear. Thanks! Yes, I'm kind of super sensitive to diabetes with the family history. My husband's dad also has diabetes. I'll try testing Grant again in a few days. I just did a control test, but I'll hope that the meter was "off".

9. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

If you are seeing alot of signs and symptoms you can ask your pedi to run an A1C a C-peptide, and antibodies test. Since you are doing trialnet I believe they do all of those anyway.

10. Noel

Noel Approved members

momandwifeoftype1's.....

our familes sound a lot alike....

my husband has type 1 and so does one of his brothers, and one of my 2 son's is type 1. It is my youngest son though. I always worry about my older son. Any extra drinking or peeing sets off the warning bells in my brain.

I hope that we are worrying for nothing....you, us, Westinsmom and all of the rest of the families out there.

Michelle, I agree with you about trail net part of me wants to get Austin in but I wonder if I will smother the poor kid if I know that he will at any minute get d?????? I feel like you do, right or wrong, I will just take it as it comes.

11. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, our families do sound similar. I wish I could say that's a good thing - sorry for you too. I have not put Grant in TrialNet yet, but now I'm probably going to so he could have a chance of getting oral insulin (I think it's a 50/50 chance?). I'll do what I can to help prolong the life of his pancreas. I did breastfeed both boys because I had heard that it reduces the risk of Type 1 diabetes by 50%. Didn't work for Connor. Although, with a dad who has Type 1 and my family's history of autoimmune disorders (Lupus) I'm not sure if it would have helped. I think Connor getting diabetes has actually helped Brian (my husband) get over his anger about getting diabetes himself. Does your husband let you participate in his care?

12. Noel

Noel Approved members

Well....to some degree yes, but I usually just try to focus on Aidan. About a year ago, I came home from an endo appnt and told Keith that Aidan was going on a new pump and I would be handling the switch. Then when it actually happened I did and tweak the numbers to get setting right and such. I think at that time he finally realized that I did know what I was talking about and let me have more say with Aidan. He never did anything deliberate or mean to me regarding Aidan, he just sort of jumped in the drivers seat and stayed there until basically I kick him out of it.

Don't get me wrong he has faith in me and my ability to care for Aidan but I think it was the best way for him to deal with his own guilt. (The father passing it to a son thing)

I love his mother dearly but she is very outspoken and very I told you so....so I always tried to never be that person to Keith, I figured he had what he could deal with with her so.....

How about you?

13. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

momand wifeoftype1s- My DH is also a type 1, diagnosed at age 14. I was 3 months pregnant with our 3rd baby when our DS was diagnosed. Like everyone else I am on heightened awareness of anything out of the ordinary with our DD and our new baby DS. I think it's a natural reaction but I also don't want to be "paranoid" either. Admittedly though I have had a few "moments." I think it's hard not to worry and wonder if your other child(ren) will become diabetic or have any of the other related diseases. I find myself thinking about it often but I'm trying not too. The way I see it I don't have any control over it. I can chose to have my kids tested to see if they are even carriers and take it from there but even then it's a gamble as to whether they will actually develop diabetes or better yet if they do when it will happen. I just don't think I want to live my life or have them live thier lives constantly worrying and wondering if and when they will become diabetic. I agree though that if you want to have Grant (I had to LOL when you typed his name b/c that is what we named our baby who was born this past August) tested to see if he is a carrier in the hopes that there might be something out there to prevent/delay him getting diabetes were he to be a carrier then that's great. We do what we can to protect our kids and that's all we can do.

As far as the fasting blood sugar you got. I would at least ask your endo about it but as previous posters have said I don't think I'd stress over one reading. Test him a couple of more times (good luck with that. My DD has freaked out every time I've tested her and it terrifies me b/c she pretty much has convinced herself that she IS going to be get diabetes. She's 5 years old now and has had anxiety over this since her big brother was diagnosed a year ago).

Noel- I was very dependent on DH in the first couple of weeks after Nick was diagnosed but then he went back to work and I was left to handle the majority of his care. My DH does work long hours and travels a lot with work so I am responsible for nearly all of his care. It didn't take me long to realize that I am better at his management than DH is. hehe It bothered DH a great deal at first but I think he's over it now. I suppose I have the advantage of this all being fresher to me and being able to focus on the specifics of Nick's diabetes. DH has gotten much better about his management (and I have learned so much more about how to support him in his care too) though and he even broke down and got a pump in December. He's always been very anti-pump. HE LOVES HIS PUMP and his CGM! We had talked early on about how we thought we'd be interested in a pump for our DS though so he decided he would get one too so he could support him in that.

14. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I know that many endos believe that the first early sign of Type 1 is a raised fasting bg. I don't think this is always correct based on experience with several siblings of D kids being diagnosed early. The fasting glucose was the last thing to "go". These children were diagnosed based on high bgs after eating a relatively large amount of carbs. It was like the pancreas couldn't deal with a high amount of carbs anymore. Their fasting bgs were normal and their A1c's only slightly elevated or normal.

So its my belief that if you are concerned that your child is in the early stages of diabetes, having a normal fasting glucose does not necessarily indicate that they are fine. You should try testing blood sugars every couple of hours after a heavily carby meal. This is just a theory I have, I could be wrong, but I have now seen this with several kids being diagnosed very early, and have heard this from several parents with their 2nd child being diagnosed early also.
    Those here with a 2nd child dx'd, I'd be interested to hear about their diagnosis, how it was caught etc.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008