- advertisement -

Potty Training

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by HanksMom, Feb 1, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

How did you go about potty training your little boys? What worked? What didn't? When did you start? How did you know he was ready?

Thanks!!!

2. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Sorry no help here, my daughter is 2 and a half and she is not potty trained yet, I would love to hear some advices too :D

3. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

No expert... but I do have 3 boys! For us, we waited till they were at the 3 year mark. I watched a close friend "train" her son much earlier (20-24 months) but they had an entire year of accidents. When we tried at 24 months and it didn't catch on I said forget it!

So my first tip would be to wait, especially for a boy. :)

Also, talk it up in advance. Tell your child.. next week you're going to use the potty like a big kid! I like the potty seats that fit on the toilet. Why make extra work w/ the little potty in the first place and then have to retrain when you want them to use the big one anyway?

I'd use a portable timer for every hour. Timer goes ding, it's time to go potty. Whether they go or not. :)

Rewards are useful in learning a new skill. Whatever it takes.. sticker charts work well. One sticker for sitting, 2 for going in the potty....something like that. Perhaps a toy or outing as a big reward at the end.

Ditch the diapers and pull-ups. If you wait till you're serious, just get the good padded undies so they can feel wetness during the day. I know I used pull-ups for nighttime and can't remember what we did for naps.

We planned for a week when we could avoid errands and just be at home. This let's the child know you're serious and it helps him succeed. You can be consistent in taking him to the potty with the timer --- you're both more focused.

And last but not least... don't give up! I remember the first day or two seemed disastrous. Would they ever "get" it?! They do! Push the liquids and just be prepared for mistakes and accidents along the way. It's normal and natural... not something to be scolded for... just heap on the praise for sitting when the timer dings and for going pee pee in the potty!

Oh, I do remember one son would hold his BMs until bedtime and the pull-up went on... I think one night we knew he was holding it and we just sat reading to him on the potty till well past his bedtime!

You can do it! Or should I say your kiddos can do it! :)

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I have almost no tolerance for washing out underwear or cleaning up puddles on the floor, so take my advice with a grain of salt. ;)

Neither of my kids trained until they were 3.5, and I basically waited until they were ready. NOTHING worked with my son - not threats, not bribery, not the promise of big boy pants...nothing until he decided he was going to do it. My daughter (who in general is an easier personality) was more interested in a sticker chart and small prizes, but in the end, they were trained around the same age.

There are kids who spontaneously train earlier, and there are parents who are willing to put in the work to train their kids earlier. I'd MUCH rather deal with an older toddler in diapers than a toddler who is "sorta" trained for months and months on end.

5. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

Jack was 2 years 5 months when fully trained. Started a month before by talking about it, bought big boy underwear. Looked for signs: waking up dry after a nap and in the morning. Paid attention to how long it took him to wet a diaper after a change. Spent a three day weekend, took him to the toilet every two hours to at least try and done. NEVER used pull ups, they are just pull up diapers; had three accidents; rewarded with hugs and claps.

6. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

I second this!

7. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Christopher started getting interested around 2 1/2. He would stay dry more days than not, but wasn't too great at knowing more than 10 seconds ahead of time that he needed to go. We went on a trip to Disney, and I think a week of loud bathrooms, being in a hurry to go, etc, really messed with him. We came back home, and he went back to pull ups. I left it alone, and just after he turned 3, he decided he was all done with diapers. He was really good with daytimes, and with going poop, and was almost always dry at night. He very rarely has any accidents, usually at night, and related to his blood sugar being crazy high.

We never did the stickers, rewards, etc. We had a little potty, but he hated it. He was much happier with the potty seat.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Both of my boys were trained by 3 1/2. I didnt want to try and force the issue because, as is true with most kids, you cant make them sit and go and I didnt want them hating the potty. I did offer rewards, "Here, sit on the potty and have a few peanut M&Ms :) One thing that helped with urinating for both boys was the allure of going outside. They liked being able to just drop their pants and go. Our pediatrician also suggested letting them run around without underpants on so I did that and it helped them to remember that they should put that stuff somewhere if it wasnt going into a diaper;)

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Toilet targets and m&m's. Keeping the portable potty nearby when playing (especially good for #2!!).

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Well, as a mom of 4 boys I have a little bit of experience with this. Granted, my youngest isn't old enough yet...

I did not start potty training until age 2 with all but 1 of my boys. Lots of consistancy. Only used a little potty for 1 of them. The rest used big toilet with a little toilet seat. I taught sitting down first, then let them stand after theygot it down well. Lots of sticker charts/bribes! They were all totally trained before three.

Good luck!

11. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

The little guy I baby sit we put cheerios in the potty to help him have something to 'target'

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My wife did the potty training. For both of our kids she used a book titled something like "how to potty train your kid in one day" and for both of them they were potty trained in one or two days.

I think everyone who wants to potty train their kid should read that book.

13. Trev

Trev Approved members

Potty Training - 5th kid in process

Hello all, we (my wife and I) have trained 4 out of our five girls. All at different ages. I agree that they need to be able to show interest and some degree of articulation to actually be "potty ready" Like above we didn't bribe, threaten or use any tactics except for much positive reinforement, clapping and cheering, jumping up and down when they finally decided to appease their curiousity towards to "porcelen bowl" Good luck! http://www.three2treat.com is my blog, to put some faces to the story.