advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

potty training a diabetic toddler.... tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

DD just turned 2 and is trying her darndest to potty train herself, despite my attempts to dissuade her. I just potty-trained my 3 yo and I'm not really in the mood for this. But she insists on sitting on the toilet at every diaper change and occasionally pees and poops in there too. While it seems easier to just keep her in diapers, I suppose I could just go with it and see how she does.

But in the hospital someone said that potty training a diabetic toddler is difficult because when their bg is high, they pee a lot and have accidents. I'm also worried about this and don't want to make potty training stressful (for me and her) if she's going to be prone to accidents she can't really avoid.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Advice? Should I insist on the diapers until she's older?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can tell you that Jack was potty trained during the time right before and right after diagnosis, and he's never had a pee accident. He's kind of a freak of nature, though. He can hold it FOREVER. (He was also older too - 3.5 years).

3. Charlotte'sMom

Yeah, I tried potty training my son when he was closer to two. We spent all year going back and forth. I told myself I'd just wait until DD was older. But she's got other ideas, much to my dismay. (But on the other hand-- it would be nice to only have 1 in diapers. ;) Just a couple months ago I had 3. :eek:)

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Max was D when we trained him (at 2.5 yrs old) and he was super duper easy (compared to friend's stories of their kids). So, for us, D didn't make a difference.

Oh, except that if when we check his BG before we go to bed, if he's running a little high, we'll get him up to go potty so we don't have an accident.

Good luck

5. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Wow, I'd love Ava to self potty train! She does seem to have accidents, but she's two and a half, so I'm not sure if it's a d thing or a toddler thing. I'm trying to keep her in big girl pants at home and diapers for naps and going out.

Good luck. Maybe pull ups as a compromise?

6. Charlotte'sMom

Okay, maybe the diabetes won't make a difference. My biggest worry is when I dare to venture out of the house with all 3 kids having her have an accident or needing to help her go potty-- I only have so many hands. If she keeps this up, maybe I'll break out the underwear and let her try.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We started potty training with pull ups. I know for some it doesn't work. What we did was put underwear on and then the pull up, so they feel the wet and gross and the clothes don't get wet.

Emma was old enough to understand incentives. Here's what I did (in progression over about 2 weeks):
    - 3 M&M if she went on the potty (when I took her or when she asked - I did it every 30 minutes)
    - Then, 3 M&Ms if she went potty and her pull-up was dry (I still suggested it)
    - Then, 3 M&M if she went potty with HER suggesting it (she didn't get them if I suggested it, but my suggestions were now at about 2 hours)

She still sleeps in a pull-up for naps and overnight because she does still go high or low, meaning she is pumped with a lot of juice overnight. I'm not ready to wake her up to pee before I go to bed because 1) she wouldn't go to sleep for an hour; and 2) she's already disturbed enough with our checking her overnight

8. andeefig

Maybe when you go out, and you notoce she is running high, you can just suggest the bathroom more. That's what we did at the beginning and it worked out well. You could try pull-ups when you go out, too, but I always felt like they were glorified diapers anyway (JMO). :eek: Good luck!

9. Charlotte'sMom

Yeah, I've never bought pull-ups. I do have some waterproof trainers I can use for her when we go out. Maybe we'll start tomorrow. Wish me luck! :p

10. andeefig

Let us know how things go!! :D fingers crossed!

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony still wears diapers at night cause he tends to spike up and pee half the time. Other times, we describe it like the scene out of "A league of their own" when Tom hanks character pees forever-it's like this when he wakes up:p
    When we lived in TX and he started to show interest, we had tile floors, and we put a little potty in the living room so he could make it in time. We went through a lot of swiffer solution during that time. We also make sure that he has pants on that it's easy for him to get off on his own, cause I always have a baby attached to me I can't get up and help him.
    If she wants to do it, go for it!

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My DD was easy to potty train, but she has a huge bladder and great control.

Does she wake up from naps dry? if so then she is probably phisically ready. But you have to be ready too. So if you are up to it go for it. I never liked pull ups they were harder to get off than a diaper. Gerber still make training pants, three layer absorbant cotton in the crotch, this is what we endend up using for car rides and outings. She did great, and I only hopr that my new little one does as well.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Good luck!:cwds:
    Be patient.;) Your child needs to be ready. All you can do is encourage and wait.

My D son turned 5 in December and he still has occasional accidents day and night. He was 99% potty-trained a bit before he turned 5.:eek:

My non-D son is not at all potty-trained. Once in a blue moon he'll want to sit on the potty or toilet, but he just sits there. He thinks it's funny and makes the sounds of pushing:eek: I'm waiting for the Spring to arrive to make him walk around the house with no diapers on.

For going out, put on pullups for the time being. No harm/embarrassement in that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  14. bisous

bisous Approved members

You know, I think that D actually has less to do with it than other factors. I remember being in your shoes and wondering about how D would affect potty training. DS was quite slow to be trained (just in the nick of time before turning 4!!) but in his typical developmental pattern, once he was done he was DONE. He rarely has accidents, even when very high, even when he gets juice and then milk in the middle of the night. For DS he just needed to be mature and ready and then his body was able to do what it needed to, despite D.

BTW, I didn't see if you are on the pump or MDI? Just asking because I do think that pumping can be tricky with potty training. DS had his sites on his bottom and the pump pack that we used also got in the way. I was thinking that if I ever "had to do it again", lol, that I would get one of those backpacks to hold the pump so it isn't anywhere near the potty.

HTH,

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

About pump packs and potty training -- my son wears his pump pack belt loose, so he just take it off and puts it around his neck. If he needs help, he just asks us. That's how we potty-trained him too.

16. bisous

bisous Approved members

Ooh. Paula, that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

17. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Anna potty trained just after turning 2. She is now 3.5 and still in nappies for night time. I must say it was hard, as in if BSL's were high, she would need to go non stop all day. Then there ws the problems with her pump site being yanked down while she desperately tried to get her knickers down, still happens from time to time. She still has the occassional accident if her BSL is really high. I dont see night time training anytuime soon, she wets probably once every 4 or 5 nights when she runs a little on the high side, the others she stays dry. I aint too stressed just eyt.

I say if she is ready, go for it, just lkike any kid, they will go when ready. :)

18. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

Maxine (2,5) has potty trained herself for the last weeks and she is fine now through the day. She is wearing diapers at night but that is not realy necessary because if she pees the nappy won't last..... . We had only two or three accidents and we didn't have more trouble when she was high. But she seems to have a huge bladder and she can wait for ages to go.
    But we have a site problem. When the site is in her leg she does't want to pull the pants down herself. But that's ok, she calls us and we help her. When the site is in her tummy she does everything herself.

19. KellyH

KellyH Approved members

Are we the only ones having probs, and yes I think the Big D contributes

I am reading this thread with interest as we have been seriously potty training for over a year now. I really think the Big D is a big factor for us. Abby understands everything - will go on the potty every single time for poop, but the pee is harder for her. I give her one m&m if she goes pee and her pants are dry - and sometimes she will ask me if she is dry when she is clearly wet. I don't know if she is just angling for the candy or if seriously she can't tell. She's real good about telling me that she has to go right after she pees in her pants, and it is a lot of pee:rolleyes: I was getting quite stressed out about it, until my friend suggested that maybe she can't really read her body signals because of the day to day blood sugar swings she has. Right now we have gone back to pull ups when we are out and about, and underwear at home. I really thought she was potty trained two Thanksgivings ago to give you an idea about how long we have been working on it.

She does wear a pump pack and she knows just to flip it up when she sits on the potty - it never was a problem for us.

Good luck and any advise would be most appreciated.

20. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

No, you aren't the only ones with problems. When I suggest the potty, Yossi yells "NO!" and runs the other way. I'm used to it. My 10 YO just made it for the third night in a row without wearing Overnites. I'm overjoyed!! One in four that's finally potty trained.