- advertisement -

Post pod change highs. Trick to try...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Worth a try. Here is the text of the link that was posted.

Posted by Alexis PollakAugust 21, 2013
    This post is short and sweet, because it?s about an extremely easy trick I just learned that actually works and really helps with Omnipod site changes.
    I?ve blogged many times about how I suffer from highs when I change my pod. The transition can be a bit rough for the first few hours into a new site, and I?ve tried many strategies to combat this including raising my initial basal rate and bolusing a few units with the old pod before removing it.
    Then, my CDE told me about one simple change I could make that seems to be helping with pod site changes: after you fill your new pod up and it?s ready to start priming, lay it down with the side with the adhesive on it facing down. Most of us lay the pod on it?s ?back? while its priming, but flipping it over, for whatever reason, seems to get things flowing faster once the pod is on. I?m sure it has something to do with the cannula filling up and being more accurately primed, but whatever the actual mechanism is, it works. I?ve noticed a smoother transition with better blood sugars when I fill the pod this way.
    So there you go ? there?s your hot tip for Tuesday! Isn?t it nice when it?s really easy to do something to make diabetes easier? Gotta love that.

3. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We haven't been having pod change highs on the new pods, but this would go against what the reps are telling us to make sure there aren't errors during priming. They told us specifically, leave the pod in the plastic holder and have it touching the right side of the PDM. I would hate to lose pods during priming from trying this...

That said, if you do try it, let us know how it turns out, maybe the new pods touching the PDM during priming isn't as big an issue as they are making it out to be.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I don't think we've ever had the PDM and pods touch during priming, so it shouldn't be an issue. If we were supposed to, we were never told, so we haven't had them any closer than we do for bolussing. Our big concern has been being far enough from the storage drawer to not activate the stash in the drawer.:D

5. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

Oh my gosh - I never considered that. I realized when I read this that I stood right by the cabinet with the big stash in it while I activated his pod last night. :eek:

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

Having the pod and pdm side by side for priming is in the instruction manual. Old pods needed to be close, but weren't required to be touching. New pod instructions say specifically to have pdm and plastic pod container side by side touching.

You aren't going to accidentally activate any that aren't filled with insulin. The two beeps after filling with insulin indicate that the pod is "awake" and ready to be activated.

I would be concerned that turning a pod upside down or otherwise not
    following the instructions would cause errors. If we have a failure, I want to be able to tell insulted that I followed their instructions to the letter.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

For us, one of the best things about the new pods is that we have not seen any post pod change highs, so I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing them.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We've never seen a post change high in 6 years.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Darryl! No fair. We all know that your DD is perfect!:p Stop making the rest of us feel bad!!:D

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

No, not that... I just think other things should be looked at. Was the old site getting resistant by the time the pod was changed (we've certainly seen highs at the end of day 3)? Was there a delay inbetween pods, even 20 minutes, when basal was lost? Were all air bubbles tapped out of the syringe before the pod was filled? Not sure if it matters but was the pod always filled with 200u (we always have... just in case)?, does the child feel pain when the pod is inserted and could that cause an adrenalin reaction? Who knows. But don't think that filling the pod lying on the back vs. front side would make a difference given how it's designed.

My earlier post was a little short. What I meant to say was "we always fill with the adhesive side up and have never seen a post-change high in 6 years." I'll try the next one adhesive side down, and if we see a low, I'll post it here.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm just teasing you :p Leah is like the poster child of glycemic control :cwds: I couldn't help myself:p

12. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I tried this yesterday and Bethany did go a little high but not as much as she has in the past. Her post change highs are very inconsistent but she has sometimes gone into the 300's with her thigh. So I'd have to try it a few times to see if it
    really does work. She went to about 200 last night 3 hours after the change but that could have been anything.

Will post again....

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If I put an omnipod into my thigh my BG would probably go to 300 too and I don't even have diabetes! I bet the pain or anxiety of insertion has something to do with it.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We experienced seemingly inexplicable post pod change highs on the old system, but none on the new. I have wondered if the shorter cannula or something different about how the pod primes. In any case, I'm glad to have our post pod change voodoo (we'd bolus 1 full unit and increase basal by 50% for 2 hours and DD's I:C ratio is 1:150) be a thing of the past.

15. Lizzy731

She has less pain and anxiety on her thigh then on her belly and doesn't go high when it's on her stomach.

ETA: There is more muscle on her thigh so this is most likely the reason for post change highs. I wish I didn't have to use her thigh but skin is less sensitive then stomach not to mention the necessity of site rotation.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  16. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son uses his thighs exclusively during the summer months. He's never felt any pain or anxiety. He actually prefers them on his thighs but I make him switch to other body parts after the sweaty summer months are over. With the old pods we always had a post pod change high, whether it was his thigh, arm or lower back, if we didn't bolus a unit upon insertion. With the new pods we haven't had to bolus or had any post pod change highs.

17. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana has had highs since the beginning with the old pods. She would go Into the 300s if we didn't do a substantial bolus with the change. We still have the highs with the new pods but not consistently. It's not from missed basal as she doesn't go more than a minute without a pod. I'd say that more than enough people have experienced it that it is not from some other factor. I've asked our cde about it and it is well known that their are post pod change highs. She said almost all her podders in their practice experience it.

18. Lizzy731

Yes with the new pods we have experienced less post change highs but they are still there. And since we've been podding for 6 years its pretty safe to say I've tried every technique out there and do everything we "should be" doing in between changes. It just happens to some people...YDMV

19. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

I am not sure that our 'pod change high' is the less efficient old pod or ramping of new pod.

I figure out what five minutes of basal rate would be and bolus that amount before pod change (obviously impossible on occlusion) or bolus that the basal rate amount for how long it was occlusion to new pod time...0.15 if we are at home.

Most times for a standard pod change we just use .05 before we 'kill' old pod. We also do BG check before pod change for tracking purposes...if he was already up then it is something before pod change that elevated it.

That was probably clear as mud. :cwds: We get a little bump up with pod changes but not too bad.

20. Lizzy731

On 2nd pod with priming trick and no post change highs!