- advertisement -

Post nap hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by adjomomma, Jul 13, 2011.

1. adjomomma

adjomomma Approved members

My son Jonah who is just about to turn 2 was diagnosed 3 months ago. During the initial phases of his regulation, he became unable to self soothe and thus was not sleeping well. Subsequently we hired a sleep consultant and he is now back to sleeping 12hours at night and napping about an hour in his crib (Yeah, Dream Team Baby!). What is totally bizarre is that every time he wakes up from his nap, he is hypoglycemic. Has anyone experienced this? He never wakes up from sleep hypoglycemic but he is obviously much further from his previous insulin dose after a full night's sleep.
    Our diabetes educator has recommended manipulating his lunch IC ratio which hasn't fixed the problem yet. I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.:eek:

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Is he on a long-acting basal? It could be that his basal needs are lower in the afternoon (mine were for the longest time) and his overall basal coverage is just too much for him - and not something that adjusting the lunch I:C will easily correct. When I first started taking Lantus my fasting #'s were fine, but I'd have lows in the 40's (or lower) every afternoon. When I switched to a pump I found I needed MUCH less basal coverage in the afternoon, whether I had lunch or not.

The alternative would be to offer a small uncovered afternoon snack before nap time.

3. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

My Lily, who is 13 months, is hypoglycemic after every nap if we do not give her an uncovered snack before we lay her down. Our Endo said it is most likely due to the fact that she is so active before she lays down and then when she is asleep her body is looking for all the carbs it can find to refuel, which then leaves her hypoglycemic. It is not the perfect answer as some times she wakes up high, but I would rather be high than low during sleep. We are on MDI with Lantus at night so I can't really control her basal during nap times but she is getting the pump next Wednesday (yea!!) so hopefully that is something we will be able to fix once we are able to tweak her basal dosage throughout the day. :)

4. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

We have the same problem with my 2 year old--particularly if he doesn't eat much/any lunch (it's so hard to get a toddler to eat sometimes!)

After today's nap he was 54. He comes up easily, but I'm definitely considering an uncovered snack before naptime OR looking at reducing his basal in the afternoon.

5. adjomomma

adjomomma Approved members

It's so nice to know it happens to others! Since he naps shortly after lunch, we've reduce his IC ratio to 1:50 which is totally crazy since I just decreased his breakfast ratio to 1:10 to account for his hyperglycemia before his morning snack!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Your son isn't even 2 yet and he's getting 1:10 for breakfast?! That's more than my 70lb. 7 year old! :eek:

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

wow that is a lot of insulin for a little guy in the AM, Isaac's AM is at 1:35 and I thought that was a lot (the rest of the day he's 1:60!)...buy YDMV!

We've found since summer has started that Isaac needs no carb coverage for his lunch as he's so active all morning that he needs those carbs to cover his basal insulin and insulin from breakfast. It's worked well so that when he wakes up from nap there haven't been a lot of lows but rather numbers in the low to mid 100's, which is perfect for us to all be able to relax during the naptime with :)