- advertisement -

Post for newly dx'd regarding schools..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Denise, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Denise

Denise Approved members

I know that things can be very scary right now and at this point in the year, many people are posting that they are having troubles with their school regarding accomodations. I want to say that not everyone has issues. I am very blessed to be at a school where the moment I walked in the door post diagnosis, the principal and staff said to me "Just tell us what we can do!" and has stuck to that since that day.

Every year I walk into my medical meeting a day before school and the staff is smiling and eager to hear how things went over the summer and to hear how they can help Molly have a good year. It is like this very every student there, not just because I'm a cafeteria worker there. There are three diabetics there and all of them have the same experience.

Please know that people tend to post more when they need help..and this is why you see more negative than positive posts regarding schools. There's nothing wrong with that, I just want you to know that there are great schools out there who do accomodate students and they have a great support system.

Here's to a great school year!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that's a really important point, so thanks Denise ;)

We've also been very fortunate in our interaction with school. And no doubt, judging by the threads put up this time of year one would assume that most schools are horrible, when in truth, and thankfully, most of our kids are able to go to public school with great success. :cwds:

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Kudos.

I also can say a supportive team at school is a blessing. One we are all the more aware of as or blessing came after some stress.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Well said Denise!

We too are blessed with a very supportive school staff.

5. simom

simom Approved members

We too have had great luck. Our school lunch company has done a wonderful job on the carb counts they provide. Our teachers, as well as the after-school staff, have been outstanding.

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Thanks for posting. We have had a great experience with our schools as well. Kayla is transitioning to high school this year and we just found out her school nurse from middle school took a job there. I am so happy.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Ditto on the no problems here!:D

In September Tyler will be going to the middle school (grades 6-8), so his third school since diagnosis and we have never had problems with the school district that we live in. At his 504 meeting in the spring the middle school came to the meeting and basically said...what would you like changed on his 504 plan for next year, if anything.

In most cases if you ask for reasonable accommodations you will recieve them.

8. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Us too! Wonderful supportive school system from the principal to every teacher in the school (its a small school) making an effort to learn all they can to accomodate us. And the school nurse is like a family member at this point. So there are schools with great D experiences.

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Great reminder! We have had very accommodating and caring staff, teachers, etc. No problems...have always given us everything we asked for and needed.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Good point Denise:) We've had some issues over the years at school but nothing that couldnt be talked through and dealt with. I often think problems arise when schools arent knowledgeable about what their responsibilities are. Steven was the first in his schools recent history to have type 1 diabetes so the staff there were really clueless about his condition. Over the years Ive printed out info for them and held meetings to educate them, for the most part theyve been very receptive