- advertisement -

Possible Stomach Virus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Nov 27, 2012.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

This Sunday was my birthday....spent the afternoon in emergency with my mom who was tripped at work and got a dislocated shoulder. Extreme pain if you've ever had that happened.. Within a few hours of being there I started feeling ill. I will just tell you I ended checking myself in to emergency getting iv'd with fluids and anti nausea meds...By then my husband had taken my mom home, and I drove myself home around midnight....Doctor said there was a bad stomach virus going around....I thought it might be my lunch I had eaten(barely when I got the call of my mom hurting herself)...or nerves of being with my mom.. But now Daniel is feeling unwell..and ready to throw up and I'm thinking "crap" it might be the stomach virus.. So far he hasn't thrown up, but he feels the need. Here is my question. Doctor prescribed my zofran to take as needed. Should I give to him right away if he starts throwing up? What about immodium ad, can he take that if he gets diarreah? He had barely started to eat some bread and lettuce, and I hadn't given him any insulin yet because I was going to wait to see how much pasta he was going to eat. At this point none....He was 202 when I checked at dinner.. Anyway any advise?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Don't dose anything until after he's eaten and kept it down for a bit. Even if he isn't vomiting, his appetite may not be at normal levels and he may not finish what he usually would.

When he does eat, he may not absorb his carbs normally. Be prepared for lows after dosing. Some viruses have my daughter using 50% less bolus insulin for two weeks; others don't affect carb absortion in the least.

Check ketones regularly, even if his BGs are normal. Do you have a blood ketone meter? If not, there are ads regularly on her for free NovaMax ones. I'm looking at one now.

Don't be afraid to call your doctor at any point. Even with experience, these are the times we need them.

Good luck. Flu bugs and diabetes are the pits.

3. danielsmom

He is throwing up.:(. Gave him zofran, but before that dissolved he threw up.. gave him another and most of it melted but he threw up again shortly. Don't want to give him more right now...should I attempt gatorade? I have the smart water that has the electrodes...I just afraid to raise his BG....will it hurt him not to eat anything for a few hours? I should lower his levemir you think then? He supposed to get that shot in a few hours...Only keytone urine strips..

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'd be hesitant to lower his basal, but call your endo. Sometimes the kids can go just on their basal and with illness they usually need more basal, not less, because of fevers. When my daughter was on MDI, we did correction doses around the clock for the length of the fever. Temp basals on the pump are much nicer.

We've only had one vomiting episode since diagnosis, and my daughter hung over the toilet fighting to keep the carbs down.:(

Again, call your endo and let them carry some of the weight of this for you. Remember, too, needing to go to ER is not failure; it's keeping your child safe.

5. danielsmom

If bg is going up do you correct if no other carbs in?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

How high is he? Does he have any active insulin in him now?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

depends on how high and if he is still throwing up.

The first day or so of a stomach bug where I can not be definate that my child will eat, or absorb any carbs I usually keep basal the same and not correct until over 200. Then when I do correct I do so with a higher target, just in case. so we aim for 150.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

IMHO this is really good advice. The dehydration can be a real issue no matter what if you have repeated vomiting, so watch for that. Also a call to the Endo is often a good idea.:cwds:ali