- advertisement -

Possible Mission trip......long term

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dvane, Apr 9, 2012.

1. dvane

dvane Approved members

Has anyone gone a long term mission trip with their diabetic child? I have so many questions but I will start with that one.

2. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

We haven't; but we are kind-of in the same boat. We were headed overseas for 2-3 years when DD was diagnosed, and we are still trying to figure out if going is still a good idea for us. All the doctors & nurses, etc. advised us that we should not let D stop us from doing anything that we were already planning on doing. But, we did feel it wise (on the recommendations of other parents with CWDs) to wait at least a year from diagnosis, and re-evaluate from there. We are almost 2 years in, now, and still unsure.

I think a lot depends on where you are going (Europe vs. a developing or 3rd world country). Some things we are considering (or have considered):

*What is the medical care like there/how far to good (Western, modern) care?
    *If our CWD ever needed hospitalization or medical care in a different culture, would we be allowed to stay with our child at all times?
    *Would we have access to replacement supplies (including insulin in case something happens to our stash?
    *How will our CWD be viewed in another culture and is our family (especially our CWD) prepared to handle that on a long-term basis?
    *If we decide to go through an organization, what are their policies/feelings about sending a family with a CWD?/Are there any organizations that would send us with our CWD? (I hope so!) If not, could we handle going independently?

Not that any of these would necessarily be deal-breakers; but we want to go in with our eyes as wide open as possible. :cwds:

A good resource is the International Diabetes Federation: www.idf.org. Just type the country you might be interested in going to into the search box, and see if there is a chapter somewhere close to where you're headed. They will probably be able to answer many of your questions...just realize that some of their answers may be from the perspective of their own culture, which may be a different perspective from ours.

As I said, we have not made a decision, yet. Right now we are out of funds, so that's keeping us here, anyway. If we did have the money, we would probably go ahead and go. Our prayer is/has always been that we would have enough faith without being foolish.

All that said...I hope someone else has already done this, and has better info to offer! :D

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't see any reason not do as long as you can source the medical supplies and local medical care you will need (D related or not) while you are there.

In the grand scheme of things D is really not anything that should prevent you from doing this if it is something you feel called to do.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've never been on a missions trip with diabetes but I was supposed to go, it got canceled last minute (not because of d) I was going to Africa... I was scared out of my mind but I was just planing to bring lots of extra supplies and stuff, we were going to be right out side of Johannesburg so I knew there would be a hospital if I needed it

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD