- advertisement -

Possible Cures for Type-1 in the News (Nov-2012)

Discussion in 'Research' started by joshualevy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Summary of Three Months of New Trials

This is a quick summary of all of the new clinical trials into type-1 that started between July 1st and October 1st, 2012. These are trials which were entered for the first time during these three months. I got this list from the FDA's clinical trial database, which is on line here:
    www.clinicaltrials.com

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]37 New clinical trials in total[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]-- ----------------------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]14 Delivery / New Insulins / New Test Kits[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]06 Long Term Side Effects[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]03 Artificial Pancreas[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]03 CGM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]01 AAT[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]01 Psychological[/FONT]
    [FONT='Courier New', Courier, monospace]08 Other (1 of these was a Vitamin-D trial)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]
    My only comment is that only one of these (the AAT one) might lead to a cure. That's not a lot.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]
    What's Up with AAT (alpha-1 antitrypsin)?[/FONT]

The new AAT study reminded me that there are now a total of five AAT studies ongoing, and that's enough to have a summary of AAT research, so here it is.

I've blogged on AAT before, here:

http://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com/search/label/AAT
    and some background on AAT is here:
    http://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com/p/drugs-and-treatments-in-clinical-trials.html

Study Number Phase Size Sponsor Duration Completion Date

NCT01304537 I 24 Kamada 1 year November 2012
    NCT01319331 I 15 Omni Bio 2 years September 2013

NCT01183468 II 16 NIAID 2 years November 2014
    NCT01183455 II 66 NIAID 2 years November 2014
    NCT01661192 II 24 Kamada 3 years December 2016

Initially, that looks pretty good. Unfortunately, one of these trials (the second one, by Omni Bio) released some early data, and this data was only slightly positive. The treatment showed no benefit to people with established type-1, and relatively small improvements to people who took it soon after diagnosis. No specific numbers were published, which I consider to be a bad sign. The first complete study (Kamada's) should be done very soon, and that should give us a much better "feel" for the level of success. By 2015 we should have results on four studies, which should be definitive. [FONT='Courier New', Courier, monospace]
    Another Trial for Zhao's Cell Educator (if they raise money)[/FONT]

I've previously blogged on Zhao's work here:
    http://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com/search/label/Zhao

It looks like researchers in New Zealand are raising money specifically to replicate Dr. Zhao's work.

Here is their description of what they want to do:

In the first trial we would infuse activated stem cells back into the patient and measure their ability to switch the behaviour of aggressive T lymphocytes to ?peaceful? T regulator cells. Trials like this are occurring internationally but without the activation step, and results are not yet clear. The second trial will be similar to the Chicago study [Zhao's trial, which was actually done in China]. The stem cells from each person will be used in the laboratory to ?condition? their white blood cells in the laboratory, before re-infusing the white blood cells.
    I don't usually put information about donating money in my blog posts, but I've gotten several requests for information on how to help fund Zhao. I don't know how an individual can do that effectively, but the researchers in New Zealand have these instructions:
    If you would like to make a donation towards this cause, then the Spinal Cord Society NZ website www.scsnz.org.nz provides a means for you to do that. An email plus a donation will ensure that your contribution goes only towards the joint SCSNZ-Diabetes research work.
    Please remember: I know nothing about these guys or this organization. I am not endorsing them!

News: http://www.scsnz.org.nz/assets/Uploads/diabetes-winter-2012-focus-2.pdf
    News: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/7914909/Stem-cell-study-holds-diabetes-cure-promise

I want to especially thank Brian Braxton for the information and sources he provided, and everyone else (there were several) who pointed this news out to me.

Joshua Levy
    All the views expressed here are those of Joshua Levy, and nothing here is official JDRF or JDCA news, views, policies or opinions. My blog contains a more complete non-conflict of interest statement.
    Clinical Trials Blog: http://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com
    Cured in Mice Blog: http://t1dcuredinmice.blogspot.com/

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

3. carbz

carbz Banned

I am so ready to try any god dam human trial that exists. I am so messed up from forty years of fake insulin I believe my only chance of survival is beta cells doing what they do. No one can come close to what the pancreas does no matter what mgnt approach they use. If I have to wait for an FDA approval I will be dead. In the meantime its gonna remain suffering bad day in and day out.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Carbz, there are still human clinical trials with human cadaver islets - with immunosuppression. Are you interested in that kind of trial to restore normoglycemia?

5. carbz

carbz Banned

I would obviously prefer to try to get into Viacyte's trial when they start but being I am in Fl and am still working it's not very likely. Not sure how this works but apparently Jay Skyler from the DRI is on Viacytes advisory board :confused:

6. carbz

carbz Banned

Ellen, I am not sure if you know the history of my issues but I believe I have a very rare problem with diabetes. I've documented over and over that I really need to be no more then around 100 MGDL about 2hrs after my shot/meal and between 75 and 90 once completed my for me to rather feel somewhat well. Ideally I feel best right around 85 fasting.That is virtually impossible to do but once in a while no matter how you manage diabetes. I am better off going down too low and eating a few carb grams to tweak it where I feel ok then having even a slightly elevated sugar. I've been told its my eating, my not enough testing, not using the correct insulins...etc.. but I know my body better then anyone else. This morning when I woke up it was clear to me my fasting sugar was gonna be over 100 and sure enough it was 107. How many diabetics do you know that would have a problem with a 107 fasting? I could feel it. There are a variety of symptoms I get with no exaggeration that put me over the edge. I'm not even so sure an encapsulated transplant would fix me but living like this is killing me. I am being honest when I say I'd rather continue to live with diabetes with the ability to not feel the sugar swings then actually get rid of it and still feel the way I do. I am very desperate for relief.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Of course you know that 107 is +/- 20% either way.

Have you registered to be an islet cell recipient? http://www.citisletstudy.org/ Are you near UF or UM?

8. carbz

carbz Banned

Ellen,

I am aware of the fact that the meters are not 100 percent perfect but still even if I was 130 or so should I really feel like jumping out of my own skin? Most diabetics I've spoken with seem to feel rather fine up to around 180 and the general symptoms of elevated sugars are your typical dry mouth, urination, tiredness, some fatigue. I get wicked irritable, body temperature is off, hunger, pressure in my hands and head and extremely anxious to where everything around me doesn't look right. I think diabetes has screwed up my central nervous system. Now I will admit this is not happening 24/7 and sometimes I do feel OK and even great here and there but most of the time I am walking around either angry, sad or in total distress. Oddly my nights and much better then the mornings and days. I do believe that if I had perfectly normal glucose fluctuations and levels I may feel as well as any non diabetic but at this point I still wouldn't bet on it. I can only pray that one of the research groups preferably Viacyte would see my problem as the same as someone with severe hypo-unawareness and offer me an opportunity for the their transplant when ready. In the end and in my mind the transplant must be able to offer tight glucose control just like a non diabetic to have a chance to help me. At this moment I am not registered with any islet transplants but thanks for the suggestion.

9. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

Any research papers published?

Are there any research papers published that anyone has seen? I can't find any only the company press release.