- advertisement -

possible cure insight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyfani, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Tyfani

Tyfani New Member

link not working

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

pig cells???

Sounds great in theory but the concerns that our team had were....Yes great the transfer of those cells do definetly work but what are the long term effects of humans and what else are you subjecting the patient. The diseases that pigs carry would also be transfered to the diabetic patient as well and I for one would not even want to subject my child to that type of risk even though I would give my life in order to cure my child and everyone elses as well!!!

~Teri~
    Mommy to a beautiful 5 year old
    Dxd with type 1 diabetes 1 year ago

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

This is exciting research but I am cautious with my optimism because:

1. Monkeys do not have type 1 autoimmune diabetes so the antibodies that attack the islets in our children's bodies, are not present in the monkeys.

2. Immunosuppression is toxic and not an option for an otherwise healthy person.

I'd be much happier if these islets were encapsulated and didn't require immunosuppression.

That said, I have tremendous admiration for Dr. Hering.

4. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

transplant not a cure

Research is good, but I wish they wouldn't hale any kind of transplants as a so called "cure". I still believe that this is just another form of treating diabetes. You are still taking drugs that are life sustaining. You don't take the drugs, your body rejects and you are back at square one only worse because of the damage that the immunosuppression drugs have done to your body. The only "cure" for me is going to be one where no continuing use of drugs is involved and I think that may only be done through stem cells and even then what is going to stop your body from destroying those newly created cells - more immunosuppressive drugs? Perhaps not as bad or as strong as for transplant recipients but still toxic.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I don't see it.

5. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

I was happt to read the article. My daughter is 5 yrs old and just diagnosed in Dec. 2005. The article says they hope to start testing on humans in 3 years. Even if it take 10 yrs plus to make this thing work, it COULD still work in her lifetime. I would welcome any new research that would help. A cure overnight, I do not expect but to see what research is being done is a bit of a promise for a better future for my daughter. Thanks for the info.