- advertisement -

possibilities unlimited: what our kids can do!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AlexsDad, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yep.

I am glad this thread makes people feel good, that is great. I just never felt the need to toot her horn about her accomplishments "because" or "in spite" of the fact that she has diabetes. But there is nothing wrong with other people doing it.

Ali, your point is well taken.

2. Christopher

I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad :rolleyes:

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

That's great, and I also enjoyed watching her violin performances. My non-D son who's in grade 9 plays. He bought himself an electric violin this year from money he earned playing gigs and busking. You might need to get Leah one of these some day... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUrgCheqwL4&feature=relmfu

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That video of your son is fantastic, I am showing it to Leah right now!. She has one, a purple one! We're still trying to figure out how to make use of it though. your post reminded me when I thought she'd have to stop playing when she was dx'd becuase of the fingerpricks, but that never stopped her either!

5. Christopher

I remember the same issue being asked about a newly dx child and playing guitar. I commented that they should be doing the fingersticks on the sides of the fingers and not the pads. The pads/tips is where they get the calluses. Don't want to discourage all the budding musicians out there. :cwds:

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I agree that HAILEY does not take D into account when she wants to do something..she just goes for it, although she has had days when she has expressed the wish that she did not have to deal with D. We treat her like any other kid and she would never think to use D for any reason, negative or positive. However, it would be entirely disingenuous on my part to say that I don't take D into her life. I realize the difficulty that she deals with and the planning that goes into making her world happen the way she wants it, like any other caregiver. Hailey doesn't think twice about wanting and doing all of her activities. I think the fact that your Jack feels the same way as my Hailey is something to celebrate about YOURSELF, and I'm glad you did. I think most of us could say the same thing about OURSELVES, that this is the gift we have given to our children. That does not mean, I at least, at times, don't sit back in wonder at all she has come through, particularly in her case, the death of her father, but including D, and admire her spirit. I am glad this thread is here to celebrate Hailey for being Hailey and Jack for being Jack. Good job moms and dads, it is terrific to hear about your kids and to share our pride.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I loved this commencement address, especially after the 3 min mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfxYhtf8o4

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

9. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Electrifying the violin definetly makes things more complicated. We started with a pickup on his acoustic violin, but it was finicky and difficult to get the tone right. For the electric he's get a small amp with built in effects and he has a loop pedal.

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I agree. It didn't occur to me until people started sending me links to things and I started seeing posts about PWD doing great things that I started to wonder whether I should be concerned.

This is definitely not to criticize those who have posted. I think threads like this offer a lot of comfort to other people, and now that I am over my original concern, I kind of like seeing them, too. They just really threw me for a loop and upset me in the early days.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I like this guy playing electric violin :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV2POl-c6No

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

And that is what is most important for anyone D or not.

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I have stayed me, I've let diabetes change me (because some thing as big as that changes a person=) But I'm ok with who I am... even with diabetes.

But my biggest "accomplishment" is probably playing lead in a play and still knowing all my lines even though my blood sugar was in the fifties! (on opening night of course)

Love this thread!

14. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Wow! What a wonderful bunch.
    My favorite thing about ella is her creativity. Her most recent projects have included doll furniture for her sisters (a table out of a jar lid, duct tape and thumbtacks), a cape and sword for Caleb's birthday, ?dozens of friendship bracelets, a decorated test strip container to hold daddy's guitar pics, ?and a book of poems (that she carefully bound with needle and thread but would not let me read a word of!)
    She is active in soccer, basketball, dance, yoga and gymnastics. And she's been learning ASL since she was six--all her idea! She saw a deaf boy at the park and wanted to learn to speak with her hands like he did. 4.5 years later she's fast and profient (nearly fluent!) with only a handful of formal classes. She's also the best big sister and has the biggest heart for everyone. She's spunky, quirky and eentergetic. Even at some of her lowest points with d, evans syndrome and illness she's been able to keep that fantastic spark about her. So proud of her, and the rest of the kids here too! :)

15. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I dont think of any of her awesome qualities being in spite of her conditions nessicarily. I know her doctors all think her broken immune system is one of the most interesting parts of her, but to me that isn't half as interesting and amazing as what she can make and do and be.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Maddie just finished 5th grade. She won first place in the school talent show with a dance piece she choreographed and first place for the science fair. She tested different ways of cleaning her fingers to see if that made a difference in her blood sugars. My well rounded girl!