- advertisement -

Positive OmniPod Stories??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Nov 25, 2013.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So my husband is on the Omni Pod and loves it! Like, LOVES it. He was on medtronic for years and loved that over MDI, but now he says he would never go back to a tubed pump!

So, I find myself considering it for my daughter. With kids it seems so great to have the tubeless option. But, I find I hear a lot of negative things on here about Omni Pod? Can you tell me the good, the bad, and they ugly for a small child on Omni Pod? (she is just 3).

Also, have people found the difference between minimum 0.05u/hr basal (omnipod) and the 0.025u/hr in animas/medtronic a big factor? Or not actually?

And I'm thinking CGM - the Vibe will be here shortly, but I'm not sure Im concerned about the CGM being integrated into whatever pump we get, because she is so little, I actually like the idea of the receiver separate for me to deal with the alarms. Yes, or is it better to be integrated?

Any stories, compare, contrast, insight appreciated!!

Thanks

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

CGM. We did integrated MM for a year and then switched to Dexcom. Having the Dexcom as a separate unit is far better. Kids don't like parents patting them down to see the CGM receiver. The range on the Dexcom is big, all over the house for us, so it stays in a central location that whoever is curious can look at it without a pat-down. While I wish the RECORDS were integrated, I don't wish for an integrated receiver. The best of both worlds would be to have an integrated receiver on the pump, along with a parent receiver.

Pump. My daughter has Metronic and wore Omnipod last summer through Cut-the-Cord. She likes Omnipod for summer but prefers the Medtronic the rest of the time. She likes having a clock attached.:D I think the bulk of the pod would be a bother for her right now, but it's a definite win with water activities in the summer. With a little one, though, you might like the remote of the pod.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You have the advantage that your DH uses the omni-pod so you can easily see how much real-estate it needs on a 3 year old.

Personally, I'd opt for a tubed pump via insurance and do an out of pocket purchase for the PDM or, if possible, the cut the cord so that you have options.

I would not base my decision of what I want now on what may or may not be on the market in the future. Who knows how long approval will be and you can't trust any of the reps as they all just make it up.

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

The vibe has actually already been approved in Canada. The issue is that animas didn't think it would be approved that fast so they are a bit behind with it on their end is what the animas guy told me. He said they *should* have it out by summer and that if someone wishes to have the ping instead of the vibe than they can get either its their choice. The vibe will have the integrated dexcom but not the meter remote.

Personally I'd rather have the meter remote with the ping and the dex separate.

I got some demo pods and wasn't very fond of it. It was ok at first but then with different outfits just didn't work. It stuck out a bit more than I'd like and I didn't like the feeling of getting the pod wet and how much heavier it felt when it did get wet. I'd imagine it would be even a bit heavier with insulin inside. I'm also a person that would possibly forget the PDM and I'd rather have a pump where I can bolus directly from if I don't have the remote.

I also do competitive cheerleading so being able to take off a tubed pump for certain things and for competition is much easier for me than wasting a whole pod and however much insulin is left.

5. Wren

Wren Approved members

We had a really rough start switching from MDI to pods this summer. 8 or so failed pods that first month. 400s at midnight get old fast. We had pods alarm, pods not alarm but no insulin getting in, pods failing with .05 units left to bolus, you name it.

The past month, we've had 1 fail. Part of it seems to be finding the right spots (tummy doesn't work for us), and part seems to be improvements in the recently produced pods.

The long hold times for CS seem better, and I personally have had only great experiences with reps.

I'm glad we stuck with it, but it wasn't easy at first.

6. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

We love the pod

The pod is the only pump my 7 year old daughter has ever used. She started with it on June 18, and in that time we've had 4 failed pods, oddly they were two pair back to back. Just a weird coincidence. They replaced them all via mail within a couple of days of us calling.

She has swum with them, wore them at diabetes camp. My Dad has learned how to do Pod changes, she has done one of her own. We love them.

She was in a stage play with a corded mic at the time of diagnoses, so that was the closest the we had to compare to for a pump with tubes. It drove her crazy trying hold it all when she went to the bathroom, and finding a place to put all the wires. We sewed special pockets into shorts, wrapped the wires up in a hair clip, wound them up in rubber bands, clipped them into her hair with bobby pins, taped them to her back down her shirt, and rigged up all kinds of stuff for that mic. She had an idea that a pump with tubes would be similar and wanted no part of it. I had to go with her to the bathroom to help her hold stuff.

She never ever forgets the remote because it's in the kit with her juice and test strips and lancing device and everything else a PWD always needs to bring anyway, so that's not been an issue even once.

She has been on a total daily dose ranging from about 12 to 15 units since diagnosis, and we haven't had any problem making the granularity available on the Omnipod work for us, but all we have to which to compare it is MDI so naturally any pump would be better compared to that in terms of granularity, and it is certainly more finely tuned than a syringe!

She is not 3, she's 7, so bigger than your girl, for sure, but she's petite and slender, and she also wears a CGM and we haven't had trouble finding real estate for the Pod. She wears them on her arms most of the time, but we do move them around. She has a lot of fun decorating them.

She loves them and it's hard to imagine using anything else.

As an aside - We have found that she has to keep the Dexcom on her person. Another poster said the receiver stays centrally located in the house. We tried that, but hers can't see around corners in our house, so she wears the receiver on a lanyard around her neck. I think because our house is older (1919) and is built of a lot of dense real wood, perhaps. I bought her a bunch of cute lanyards, they come in so many designs, everything from One Direction to Phineas and Ferb and from The Tardis from Doctor Who. She's an eclectic girl.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good thing a pump with a tube is nothing like ^ in RL.

8. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

I don't have any real stories, but my daughter is 9, started pumping with the omnipod almost a year ago, and absolutely loves it. She can do the insertion herself because it just requires her pressing a button. She has so much independence. She doesn't have to disconnect for shower, swimming, etc. She doesn't need to worry about having a pocket or place to clip the pump on her clothes and she doesn't need to sleep with the PDM in her bed.

We did have some problems with the new pods, but I think they're getting better. Those problems did not in any way lead me to reconsider our choice. We love the omnipod.

Good luck with your choice.

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana loves her Pod. Started it at 9. She swims competitively and dances. Can't even tell she has it on. She's pretty skinny and lean but have no problem finding a place to put it.

We did have our share of issues with the new pods,but we got them early on and we had some of the earliest manufactured batches that had issues. For us atleast, the problems have ceased with the newer manufactured lots. No issues.

Love the pod.

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

My son started pumping with an Omnipod when he was 2, and we've never used anything else. We love it, and really haven't had issues with pods falling off, adhesive reactions, running out of sites to use. So many people told is we would have problems with mot having the smaller dosing units, but it has never been an issue.

He was due to upgrade this past fall, and had no interest in considering anything else. I would have no hesitation recommending Omnipod for a toddler - although for full disclosure, we've never tried anything else either :)

11. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Christopher has been on the Omnipod almost two months now and it is the only pump he's had. We love it. He loves it. We've had a few pod failures, but overall, the convenience of it is awesome.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD started with the Omnipod just over three years ago. When we started, the larger pods seemed to take up a lot of space and were bulky. We rotated between belly, bottom, and eventually arms, but at first were not able to use her arms because the larger pods were not secure (she did not have enough arm for it to be flatter against her skin and they rocked a bit). The larger pods and her small frame made it harder to rotate sites as effectively. That said, we were sold on the tubeless nature, automatic insertion, and user-friendly PDM.

I was concerned about the basal rates, but by the time we started pumping, it was not an issue. If it had been, I'm not sure what we would have done.

Overall, we are very happy with the Omnipod.

13. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to hear some positive stories - I'm leaning towards it for a few reaosns, including the non-tube and that its what my husband is on. But, i feel like its not favoured for children, so wanted to see if anyone had positive experiences!

Doesn't look like the cut-the-cord is available in canada :( I'd love to have a tubed and Pod! :)

And, I need a dexcom!!!

14. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Here's the link for dexcom canada they started rolling out yesterday and I know some people in toronto have gotten theirs already.
    http://dexcom.com/en-ca

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I do not think it is right that Omni pod bills the assistive devices program 7000$ in Ontario. They need to come up with a better price point and not make it so that Ontarians are locked into the omni pod for 5 years.

I think they could find some way to make this work given the cost of Omni pod supplies.

Omni pod needs to roll out something comparable to the cut the cord program in Canada. 7000$ for an Omni pod unit is exorbitant considering you can acquire the unit for something like 250$ in the US.

Omni pod in Canada is really taking advantage of the situation. I respect that Omni pod in the US is taking a more reasonable approach.

I do find it a little bit odd that the pods are manufactured in China. I have not come across any other diabetes supplies made in China.

16. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I think the pods are made in China because it's cheaper to manufacture there. If you think about it the most important part of the pump (what I was told by a rep) is the mechanism that pushes the insulin at a set amt every hour in few min intervals. Since the pods are disposable that piece that pushes insulin isn't the same as the one in the tubed pumps because throwing away a piece that expensive would be stupid and costly to omnipod.

17. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Right? Yesterday my DD had blocking on stage and I was in the auditorium with the receiver - it doesn't get any better :)

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I just never come across medical supplies made in China. Syringes and pen needles are relatively cheap for example, yet the pen needles I have are made in Ireland and the syringes are made in the USA.

Its not customary for diabetes supplies to be manufactured in China.