- advertisement -

Positive for Celiac Disease

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StayingStrong, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I'd like to clarify what I mean by "diagnosis" -

Positive TTG and EMA antibodies is sufficient for diagnosis of autoimmune gluten sensitivity, AKA celiac.

A biopsy IS requried to confirm that celiac is actually causing damage to the GI tract. A positive biopsy confirms celiac. A negative biopsy means you have latent celiac disease.

Latent celiac disease has been proven to cause health damage if gluten continues to be consumed, even if the annual biopsy continues to be negative (see article I posted above). Celiac is an elevated-antibody condition that affects much more than just the GI tract.

So it really depends what you are tring to diagnose: Celiac, or GI damage which is just one of many possible health effects of celiac.

2. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

Celiac was quite a blow for us too. Neither of our kids had any obvious signs. My husband tested nonceliac and is actually the one with all the symptoms! And I always have it in the back of my mind that it's only a matter of time before our youngest child is positive too.

We've adjusted pretty good though. Here at home we have lots of good food options. School cafeterias and some restaurants are limited though. So gluten free is more of an inconvenience than anything else at this point.

You'll get there too. Check out General Mills website: liveglutenfreely.com. It's an easy place to get started.

Good luck!