- advertisement -

Popsicles at preschool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Susanne, May 31, 2011.

1. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Finally summer made it to New England. With summer, however, Sophia's school started to hand out popsicles in the afternoons. I let her have one the first day (bolused for the 8 carbs). But today she was inthe low 200s all morning so I asked them not to give her one (8 carbs still raise her BG about 80).
    How do you handle popsicles? Do you let your kids eat regular popsicles on a daily basis? I do not want to get the sugar-free variety (stomache issues) but would prefer some less carbs in a (daily) popsicle. Any products you like that I could maybe deposit in her schools freezer so she does not feel left out?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

if you're pumping, I'd just let her have it. Even if she was highish. correct and bolus.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I assume school is almost out? I'd just let her have the popsicles and work out with the bolusing/basal. We had a similar thing at preschool where the teacher gave juice everyday :eek: to the kids at snack time. I spoke to our D team. I wanted to not let him have it, but they convinced me to just let him have it and work around the bolus for that. Turned out alright.

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

What about making your own juice pops? Or the small ice pops? Or sugar free/low sugar that don't have sugar alcohols? Or frozen yorgurt in an icepop mold? Or chocolate pudding in an ice pop mold? YUM!

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

would just let her have the treat and correct. matt always gets what others have at school.

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Can't the school just dose for the 8 grams?

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Is it every day so that you can count on her getting it? What time and how long after her last bolus?

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

an 8c popsicle is pretty low.. I'd let her have it.. I never want K to be left out of a group. If she's pumping, have them give 8 carbs for it.. for us, we would typically not bolus for that because the running around and heat will cause a low anyway.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm with those who say that I'd just let her have it. Jack's morning snack at preschool always came at the peak of his breakfast spike, but I learned to just sort of overlook it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. :)

10. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Absolutely let her have it. Popsicles are one of the best parts of childhood and summer. Let her enjoy and bolus. That's why we have the pump. :)

11. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Can you bring a box of sugar free pops to school and have them give her those for snack instead of regular popsicles? We give K sugar free pops (4 carbs) and most of the time we don't bolus her for them.

ETA - I just read that you don't want to give her sugar free pops....so I guess my only other suggestion would be to make your own with juice that is diluted with water, that way it would be lower in carbs?

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Sugar free popsicles

I buy sugarfree popsicles that are 4 carbs each. You could buy these and give to the teacher - or just let her eat what the other kids eat and bolus for that. Either way - she probably needs a bolus.

My son is only four - so 4 carbs is definitely not free for him.

13. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony's preschool did stuff like this too, argh! I let it go uncovered because right after a little carbfest they played on a playground and he burned it off.

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I think it more important that my child do what the other kids are doing -- even if it means a slight rise in the blood sugar.

I would let her eat the popsicle and correct for it later.

15. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I agree, thats what we would do:cwds:

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would just go ahead and let her have one and correct.

Does the school administer insulin? When my daughter was in pre-k the school wouldn't administer insulin, so many times I would let her have the snack and then I would come in and do catch up with correcting at lunch.