- advertisement -

Poll review

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Armyemily, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

Okay this weeks poll. How do your other children handle Diabetes?

Brought a memory up. Last month I was at my middle brothers house. We were sitten around talking (his long childhood friend was there) and my pump started beeping I took it out of my pocket and he asked what that was. Now he knows I have Type 1 and he knows that is why I used to take shots but he really never understood what type 1 was. And my brother said "That is a insulin pump it gives her insulin through that tubing every 3-5 min. Then when she eats she takes what is called a bolus instead of taking shots. She also have a CGMS (he used that) that helps control her blood sugar by taking it every 5 min. and sends it to the insulin pump and when she is high or low it beeps and tells her"

:confused::eek: HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!!! "Well when mom told me you were getting a insulin pump I went online and researched all of the different kinds and learned how they worked I even went to a siminar and asked a bunch of questions, I wanted to wear one but you have to have an RX. did you know that there is one that does not have tubing" :eek::eek: I started to tear up and was like "I didn't know you really knew that much" "Well yeah sis I love you and wanted to know what you were going through"

My brother my sweet sweet brother. He went through all that trouble just to know what I was going trough. Well I just thought I would share that.

Have a great day!!!

2. whistler

whistler Approved members

Awww, that's so awesome! I can't say the same though, I don't think either of my sisters nor my brother known nearly that much! They know as much as I tell them, which is usually just little tid bits here and there when I see them. They are all older than me and only 1 sister still lived at home when I was diagnosed.

3. missincali

missincali Approved members

aww.. thats so sweet! Can't say my sister went out of her way because she was actually diagnosed with type one before I was. But she was there for me to let me know it'll be ok when i did. Just can't imagine how you felt when he said that.. still.. just sweet. The only thing I have is my boyfriend actually joined this site to learn more about it so he's "prepared" when we move in together. Big thumbs up for your bro tho!

4. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

WOW, Emily, that's amazing!! :D

My sister and I have gotten much, much closer in the last year or two. When I was diagnosed at 16 (she was 12), we were not close at all and hardly even spoke with each other, so she appeared indifferent to my diabetes and only brought it up if we were having a fight (lovely, huh?!?!)

She started asking me a ton of questions about it once we started getting close and now she legitimately cares about my diabetes, as it is part of me. HOWEVER, she doesn't overdramatize it (like my mother sometimes tends to do) and understands that it's really no big deal, which is awesome. I've heard she's been quick to correct other people's misconceptions about diabetes, which also earns her some brownie points :D