- advertisement -

Pods popping off like buttons!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by manda81, Mar 25, 2011.

1. manda81

manda81 Approved members

So, it's warmed up here quite a bit, and my boys have been outside if there is any daylight at all... and Brody cannot keep a pod on! It's not an adhesive issue, the sticky part stays on, it's the pod that literally comes flying off.

We've tried arms (bad for when they're wrestling... which is ALWAYS!), back (never stays), butt (ripped off by jumping out of the swings, TWICE this week), tummy seems ok, but we have an infected site on one side, and are running out of spots on the other.

What do you use to keep them in place when you have boys who cannot stop moving, jumping, climbing, and pretty much tearing up everything in their path?!

Or am I just going to have to find more spots on that side of his stomach until the other one heals, and say goodbye to all the other spots until winter?!

I was really excited to get to kick them out after being cooped up all winter, but I'm afraid it's going to cost me a ton in insulin! :p

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Could you put some kind of elasticated bandage / material over the top, to hold it all together a bit more tightly? I imagine that might get uncomfortable in the warm weather, though..

3. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

For the arms, I have hear of others using Vetwrap. It's a stretch type of bandage. Google it and you will find it.

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I think it's pumpwear.com that has pump bands. I am sure someone else with a pod will chime in here but check the site I believe I saw pod bands being used on the arm....someone help me out here:)

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Wrapping or covering it is a good idea. One other thing I like to do is to take some double faced tape and put it under the pod wherever it is not really stuck to the white adhesive. This secures the pod to the adhesive patch. It has eliminated the problem for us. The tape is 3m and widely available - I got it at Wallyworld.

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

Another vote for vet wrap! It's inexpensive, sticks to itself-not the skin, and stays on even in a pool or lake! You can find it at Petco or almost any pet supply store. Hope this helps!

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

It might be worthwhile calling Insulet and letting them know. If the pod has separated from that sticky attachment thing (for lack of the correct terminology) Insulet might replace your pods and perhaps suggest a solution that they have tested. Insulet told me once that we should call them for any reason concerning the pods.

We have not been through a hot and humid summer with the pods yet but if it is happening in Texas in March, it's bound to happen in Wisconsin in July.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

10. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Granted, D's arms are skinny... but when we use his arms I use an adult sized wrist sweatband around it. It's comfortable for him and keeps it nice and snug. When we swim, we use vet wrap. It survived swimming in the Atlantic ocean (leg sight) last week when we were on the Disney Dream. I was extremely impressed. I've learned that you do not need to put it on very tight. I make it snug enough to stay on, wrap it about 1 1/2 times around and wrap the end under an edge.

D's fav site is the abd (which I hate using as it's more difficult to reinforce). If he's going swimming, I'll place a tegaderm over it which works well. However, the tape starts itching him if we leave it on for a lengthy period of time.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what works for you! Hopefully our heat wave will be here shortly! (I just plowed our driveway on Wed where our drifts were taller than my snowplow. Hubby was in Atlanta.)

11. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Another plug for vet wrap here. Seems to stay even with major water wrestling and playing all day. Much more secure than a band for us as it sort of "molds" around the pod. Good luck!

12. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We have a massive supply of vet wrap (thanks to my parents and all their animals. =P) He's got every color under the sun, but when he gets sweaty, he says it's itchy, and wants it off. Which usually takes about 20 minutes.

Is the cover-roll stretch stuff from amazon the same thing as vet wrap?

We do call Insulet any time if there are issues with the pods, but personally I don't feel right asking for a replacement just because he's ripped them off being careless (and by careless, I mean a kid... lol but IMO it's not a product default).

I'm going to check out those pump bands. That might be our best option, other than sedation. =P

13. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Covering the pod with Medipore tape works for us.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

It's important that when applying the pod, the skin must be in the stretched position. For example if applying on the arm, the arm should be raised. If applying on the lower back, the knees should be pulled up. The pod's adhesive can compress, but if stretched it will loose adhesion.

15. manda81

manda81 Approved members

The adhesive isn't the issue, but thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We will be looking into a couple of these things and seeing if it works out better for us. :)

16. taximom

taximom Approved members

DS's favorite site is the upper (outer) thigh. For football, swimming, etc., he wears a pair of Under Armour shorts underneath(covering the pod) his shorts, swim trunks, football pants, etc. It never comes off or loose.

We also use Hypafix tape (same tape used on the actual pod) over the pod, if it seems to be coming loose (like on the arm).

17. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

This will make the biggest difference right here. If it "pops" off, chances are you're affixing it too tightly.

The pod needs to be able to rock back and forth on the longer axis. That means the pad needs to be compressed on application, and any tape you put over needs to be loose enough so that it can still wiggle.

Orientation matters. If it's on the arm or leg, make sure if points in the same direction as the limb, don't put it cross-wise. If on the stomach make sure it points horizontally to account for standing and sitting.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  18. Heather(CA)

No, it looks a lot like the stuff the pod is attached to now...But I bought a 6inch by 10 yard roll of it. I just cut off what we need. Made it though football season and we still have some left. This you would put on the leave it until you changed the pod again....

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Thank you, Heather! We will get some ordered & give that a try! :)

20. Heather(CA)

Cool, let me know how it works out :)