- advertisement -

Pod PSAs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Oct 5, 2012.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Has anyone ever had a pod window be completely dry after priming? In the 3 years we've been podding, I have always seen insulin in the window after priming. I have my little routine of tearing a piece of tissue while it's priming so I can wipe the window out before placing it. Last night, I primed a pod, had my tissue, but when I took the cap off, the window was bone dry. I decided not to put it on my daughter but activated it. No insulin ever came out, even after I bolused 1.5u into the air. It did shoot out after I pushed air into the reservoir.

CS told me that "sometimes it will be wet, and sometimes it won't." This is the first time I've ever had one dry. They also said that if I had put it on, it would have alarmed. I don't know how the pod knew where it was, or how they can tell me what it "would have" done.

Also, I'm getting the PDM replaced. We get a lot of strips that won't read, and after venting about it, someone told me it's actually a PDM problem. CS confirmed that there could be something wrong with the meter. However, this really only became a problem when we switched to the butterfly strips.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I've never paid that much attention to the insulin in the window, to be honest, however, what you are saying about blousing the 1.5 units and nothing coming out has me wondering. Every time we change a pod (this has been 2 years now), Hana goes super high unless we do a major bolus (talking like 3 units up front - not including any food she might be having) or she will be in the 300s or higher an hour later. So, if we change pod and do nothing else, she will end up high. If she eats at the same time as the pod change and we just bolus for the food (and correct BS if needed), she will go high. If we add an additional 3 units or more to the bolus/correction, she doesn't. This isn't a once in a while thing. It is every time we change a pod. I wonder if there is something with the initial bolus after a pod change not being accurate?

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We have the same problem sometimes, and I think that's something different happening. I've seen some very small bubbles in the cannula after priming, and I expect that they are pushed out after insertion (when you hear those additional clicks). Maybe not all of them are eliminated. But normally, the cannula is filled after it's primed. This time, there was absolutely nothing.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

It sounds like a lot of air got in there or perhaps the reservoir was defective.

I too would be suspicious if it was dry. I do not clean it out however I do give it a shake.

They can say what it "should have done" based on the programming of the pod - it's pretty straight forward and since there are pressure sensors built in I can only guess they were assuming there would be a condition that would have occurred after placing it that would have alarmed. I'm not entirely sure what that would be since it's hard to imagine what the difference is between being placed on or not except for the possibility of back pressure but that doesn't make a lot of sense in your situation.

There is a thread somewhere were the rise after replacing a pod is discussed in length. Some people see it some don't. We did see it but not so much now. Since the window is always wet I seriously doubt that there is 1.5U not available after replacing it. It is entirely feasible that the site needs time to stabilize after the insertion of the cannula. It could easily be a "body chemistry thing/healing" thing since the cannula is not the same as a needle as far as injecting into tissue.