- advertisement -

Pod people...how many of your pods make it 3 days?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bnmom, Aug 13, 2011.

1. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Do the majority of your pods make it 3 days? 2? 1?

We love it, but we are going through pods like water. I know we're new to it and bound to burn through a few during our learning curve, but if we get 2 days out of a pod it's like a bonus.

A couple Bobby has torn/bumped off, but the most common problem is the pod itself detaching from its adhesive (even on a day where he laid around alllll day, so its not attributable to activity.) I am taping them down now, to the point that the only part not taped is the window.

A couple others have been pod alarms, one pdm alarm, then tonight - just an hour after he had put a fresh pod on - the cannula on the new pod actually came out of his body (no alarm, he felt something scratching him so I looked in window and saw it just flapping around...but at insertion everything had looked just fine.)

We are using IV Prep, Hypafix and/or Mefix tape, pinching up when placing a pod...I don't know what else I should do.

Honestly, at this point I don't even care about 3 days, I'd be THRILLED if we could consistently get even 2 days out of 'em.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The seemingly constant pod replacements are wearing on my son...to the point that today he said "let's get a different one mom, it's not worth the no tubing" (but I just found out our trial period has passed...apparently that clock started ticking when they shipped the pods, not when we started to use them - so waiting on endo's office to schedule our start screwed that goose :mad:)

Please help me figure out how to do this better!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

99.9% of our pods make it the full three days.

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Only the pods we have lost (6 or 7, I think) didn't make it 3 days.

When inserting, I pinch around the pod and put a little pressure (with my index finger) on the nose...this seems to help guide the cannula. Only one cannula has kinked so far.

My son wears an arm band when placed there to keep it more secure. We haven't had any problems with adhesive...if anything they stick too well sometimes.

I hope others will chime in. We just started using the Pod (almost) 9 months ago... Certainly not an expert here.

4. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Flutter...would you mind walking me through how you guys put yours on and if you cover them with anything?

Robbie...do you pinch up when placing the pod...or do you hold your pinch and apply the nose pressure until the actual insertion is complete? Maybe I'm letting go too soon. And do you use just a wrist sweat band (not sure what they're called, I'm thinking the tennis player kind) and stretch it over top of the pod on his arm or is it some other kind of band?

Thanks for helping - clearly I'm doing something very wrong, ugh :(

5. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Almost all of our pods last 3 days. If we have any problems, it is usually when she is wearing it on her arm. When on her arm, we will use a cut off sock (the band part) around it or hypafix for added security when she is swimming or running around like crazy. We've had very few kinks, and if we do, it is mostly on her arm for some reason. I've heard that even other pumps have issues w/ insertion, air bubbles and such - so, pumping isn't a perfect solution, but it does give my daughter more freedom and independence!

6. sdneese

sdneese Approved members

When we first started the pods in November we had the same problem. Now they almost all last three days. Recently we have had a couple fly off when he was doing back flips into the pool. I honestly believe as he got used to the pod being on his body we stopped having the issues. It took about two months of 1-2 days per pod to get to that stage, though. One thing he does now is sit as still as possible for about fifteen minutes after we put it on. He insists that's what makes it stay put. He also seems to be more aware of it and "protects" it. He wears them on his stomach and lower back and occasionally upper arm.

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Same here.

Occasionally if he's outside (sweating or swimming a lot) we'll notice it coming loose around day 2. If we know in advance, we use Skin-Tac under the pod, and if we don't, we use vet wrap once we see it getting a little loose on the edges.

8. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

Initially we lost our pods by day 2. Even now the pods start to detach from the adhesive by day 3. DD likes her pod on her leg. We use vetwrap whenever she is in water and medipore tape to reinforce loose pods. DD is a very active child ( tubing, kneeboarding, swim lessons, trampoline, dance). I think she is becoming more aware of her pod and as a result more protective than in the beginning. Today I am ordering a leg band for her and on her arms we use wrist bands or sections of old colorful tights.

When placing her pods I tend to put the window pointing up (legs/ arm). Also I try to find a spot on her body where the pod lays flat (if that makes sense).
    :)

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana has been on the POD for almost a year now and only twice have we lost pods before three days.
    Once she was at her friends house and they were wrestling :rolleyes:
    The other it got caught on her swim suit as she was pulling her suit up over the pod.
    She swims 5 days or more a week and we have no problem with them staying on without any additional adhesive.

10. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

we had a lot of problems in the beginning, about 3 years ago....for the most part, we last the full 3 days, but are always exceptions, like knocking it off, etc. We were ready to chuck the whole thing the first couple of months, but stuck it out and we've been very satisfied.. Good Luck!

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We were told to stop pinching up and just press the nose down instead because it prevents the kickback of the cannula insertion. No problems since doing that. We use two one inch strips of Flexifix across the pod to prevent tearing away. Didn't work on her legs though, so we went back to arms. Most pods do last the entire 3 days, but I do change them out at 2 days sometimes if she is running high for no apparent reason.

12. 5kids4me

We put the pod on, then pinch up around the pod(just a little) then place index finger on the "nose" right above the window. I do this until I hear the click of insertion. I have no idea if this is why we typically have good luck, but I am not changing anything just in case;)

Josh wears Nike wrist bands or bandsforlife arm bands (he has a cool one with skulls and another with green swirls that he likes a lot) over the pod when on his arm. They also sell thigh bands and I believe, belly bands. We haven't bought any of those yet. Many use vet wrap with success and we do too when he can't find an arm band:rolleyes:

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I bought 3 Bands for Life and they slip down constantly. I have made them smaller and they still slide down. Waste of money. I wonder if you ordered them smaller so that they fit really tight or what?

14. taximom

taximom Approved members

We almost always get 3 full days out of them. My son usually wears them on his legs (upper/outer thigh). We do not use anything special on them to keep them on. Just use an alcohol wipe before applying. Occasionally I can talk him into wearing one on his arm (when not playing football). Those may need a little strip of Hypafix tape to last the 3 days. They seem to wobble around a bit more on the arms.

When he is playing football, he always wears the pod on his leg. Then he wears a pair of Under Armour shorts (or any compression shorts that they wear for football or baseball) over the pod and underneath his football pants. This has worked out great for us.

15. 5kids4me

The few we have are a bit snug but do not cut off circulation. They are great during soccer season-the pod doesn't bounce around.

16. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We get 3+ days out of most pods. We have the occasional errors, he has torn them off a few times (high activity), we have never had a cannula pop out.

We do nothing special; clean the site with alcohol, let it dry, apply pod, pinch up and push down on pod nose, activate. We do not tape, he will wear a sport band over it when it is on his arm and he is going to be active.

Hope things get better, we love the no tubing.

17. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I haven't even read the thread because we don't use pods, but I have to say I get a laugh out of "Pod People" every time I see the thread! :D

18. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Thank you so much for your replies.

I think my 1st mistake is the pinching up. When the phone rep told me to pinch up, I took that to mean pinch up when putting a pod on...we do nothing during insertion...we just stand there and wait for the click. lol kinda embarrassing, cause I have been sooo careful now making sure I pinch up when we're first sticking the pod on. duh :eek:

Bobby getting used to it and becoming more aware/protective of the area makes 20 kinds of sense as well.

I'm not sure what vetwrap is, but Imma google it right now. He uses belly, love handles and arm sites - so a wrap for the arm pods is something I want to look into.

Thank you again, it is wonderful how willing everyone is to share their experience and help each other on here. You guys rock!

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

The best place to get vet wrap is at a local vet/farm supply store. We get ours at Tractor Supply. *lol* But 3-4$ for 4-6 rolls is way cheaper than where we have found it anywhere else. And they have a lot more colors/patterns.

20. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

At the most, 25% of our pods last three days. Some of them don't even last two days. We ran out of pods before the shipment this last time, so we had to go back to the MM pump for a couple of days. Very annoying :-(. We just had our prescription rewritten for a change every two days instead of three...we'll see if we run out of pods this time!