- advertisement -

Pod malfunction. Again!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoveMyHounds, May 12, 2012.

1. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

It just happend the second time - when I try to fill the pod with the insulin, I feel the pressure and I cannot depress the syringe plunger. I do everything correct, I think, just like it is written in the user manual, but it's still happening. Does it happen to you guys? You have any advise? It makes me really mad, because I pay 100% for the pods :(.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Do you take it out and re-insert? Sometimes the needle just goes in at the wrong angle. Sorry, I know it seems obvious. I think we've only had 1 legitimately not be able to be filled.

Oh, and you are calling these in to be replaced, right? Especially since you pay out of pocket.

3. LoveMyHounds

I did today, even if we're not supposed to. Then pushed the plunger really hard and the insulin came out of it!

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Make sure that the syringe is now drawn past the 200u mark when you fill it. It can "catch" beyond 200u.

There were a bad lot of pods a few years ago that were really hard to fill, but also made a clicking noise when filled. If you don't hear the noise then the pod is probably OK and it may be an issue with the syringe or the way you are inserting the syringe.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

We had a couple like that a few years ago. I learned NOT to force it, as I ended up in an insulin bath. :rolleyes: Are they from the same lot? Irregardless of whether you pay for them out of pocket or not, contact Insulet and they will replace them.

6. LoveMyHounds

Oh, we draw the minimum - 85 units, but with those two "bad" pods even one drop of insulin couldn't go into the pod.

Syringe and needle are fine - no problem with withdrawing insulin from the vial.

7. LoveMyHounds

You think they would?

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Definitely. Save the pods in case they need you to send them back. We've called for failed primes and non-beeping pods mostly. If it's just a couple, they'll probably send them with your next shipment. I did have to return 14 at one time (they were shrieking in the packages and I didn't want to use the rest from the same lot), and they shipped the replacements right out.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

This. Also Insulet WANTS to know when a pod is malfunctioning so they encourage people to call. Definitely call them! :cwds:

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Call them in. We've lost very few pods but they have replaced all without issue. They just ask for the number on the pod and then if I want them sent now or with the next shipment.