- advertisement -

Pod Lost in Swimming Pool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, May 25, 2014.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

My son was swimming today when he discovered his pod was gone. The pool, though testing clean, is newly opened and still cloudy (my sister's pool) and we can't find the pod. It likely has 60 units left and is still dispensing after being discarded. I called Ominipod and asked if this was a concern to other swimmers at 0.8 U/hr. that it was still dispensing. The rep said that they didn't have an answer for that, but yes, it would continue to dispense.

To make the story even better, I somehow hit the buttons too fast in activating our spare pod, and it activated without being on him. I only brought one spare. Luckily, my dad, a Type 2, has needles and we have Novolog vial. I could kick myself. Luckily we will be home by 10 p.m.

My question is that does anyone know if we should be concerned about 60 units dispensing over next two days in an inground (30,000 gal) pool? Young kids might get some in mouth, but know not to drink. He is going back in, sans pod, and see if he can find it, but I'd like the info for future use.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If insulin could be ingested our lives would be a lot simpler. So no, no worries ;-)

3. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Thank you. Sarah that's reassuring. Now that you said that, I'm slapping my forehead! Yes, of course! Thank you for being there for me.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, the other day a friend with a non-D kid mentioned that her DD was throwing up. I asked, "do you have everything you need?" and she replied. "and that would be?"

It's easy to get tunnel vision and forget the obvious when it's such a big part of our lives :)