- advertisement -

Pod irritation!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I tried to search it first b/c I know it's talked about quite often, but I couldn't find what I'm looking for...what is the stuff to put on the skin to help with pods irritating the skin? Ashlee breaks out horribly on her little tooshie from the pods and I need to order something today b/c I keep putting it off. I remember that recent post about using cortaid as well. Now that I'm thinking about it, let me go check out that post too! Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

3. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel has a reaction to the pods too, he uses the new Cortaid lotion after he removes a pod.
    He puts the Flexifix under the pod but puts the pod so canula does not go through the tape. Then skin tac on the flexifix then the pod. He just started spraying Tinture of Benzoin on his skin first and he says it works great..then he still puts the Flexifix, skin tac and then the pod.
    He sometimes still has adhesive trouble and has to use Neosalus and Desonate gel which is for colostomy patients that was prescribed by his dermotologist but works well for him.

He will only use his legs so he sometimes just switches back to MDI to give them time clear up.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Another mom recommended Cortaid Spray, then barrier wipe or skin prep and then the pod.

Walgreens sells the cortaid spray, fyi.

5. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Thanks for your responses!! I ordered some barrier spray and I'll go check out walgreens for the cortaid...I really hope this helps her!! Is the tincture of benzoin a barrier spray?

6. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

7. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

My Omnipod Tips

Well, I get aggravated with them, too, sometimes. I use Mastisol, which is a skin adhesion liquid glue before I put the pod on each time. That is put on after I wipe with a regular alcohol swab and let it air dry. If I have one that I must take off before the 3 days are up, I use a Uni-Solve towelette to dissolve the adhesive. I have actually pulled skin off my arm before when I didn't use one. It hurt and was very sore for days. I learned my lesson! When I'm wearing a pod, I use extra-heavy-duty large size tough fabric bandaids. I cut the cottony part out of the middle and just put the remaining 2 band-aid pieces on either side of the pod (1/2 on pod 1/2 on skin). It looks junky, but it gives me peace of mind about it ripping loose. Hope that helps.

8. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

9. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

I'm the mom that recently posted about the cortaid spray. So we use alcohol first, then cortaid spray, then Bard Barrier wipes, then Tegaderm HP, finally the pod. It is a process but it works for us. We also have doctor's orders to change pod every 2 days which we mostly do. It just causes less problems however sometimes he leaves on 3 days. I use to stress about him not keeping them on b/c of running short but now we don't have to worry.
    Hope it helps...good luck!!:)

10. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Yes it is a spray, I feel like it acts as a barrier because when he used it the skin under was not red much at all which it usually is..but I don't think it is advertised as a barrier?? but not sure. HeatherCA may know more she is who told me about it.

I got it from www.americandiabeteswholesale.com