- advertisement -

Pneumonia and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieJane'smom, Feb 26, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Not a great combination! Although, it does explain the high bg's. She needs to be on steriods but the doc agreed with me that she just couldn't handle it so he's doubling up on 2 different antibiotics. He's worried about DKA and her bg's being so high all week but she's only having trace ketones.

She's more concerned with missing her first HS track meet that's tomorrow. Poor thing! We'll just stay home and rent a movie. BLAH!

2. dvane

dvane Approved members

So sorry! We were in the same boat last week only it was both of my boys. Hope she gets well soon.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I agree stay away fromthe steroids. we're on our last day of a 3 day course.

I took my dd in to the doc for a pain she was having and got some steoids for her asthma.

It has been horrible. Its made her terribly moody. even with teh cgms hooked up. it would be much easier if she'd let me drive. but I'm the backseat driver

I think Ellen found a study about prednisone saying it really wasn't effective.
    or course my doc hasn't read that study.

4. SarahsMum

SarahsMum Approved members

Sarah has had Pneumonia 3 times. It really did upset her Diabetes.

We didnt try steriods though and had her on 2 Anti-biotics.

Here is hoping the meds all kick in soon and she is back to her happy self in a few days

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh shoot! I didnt know KatieJane had pneumonia:( Poor girl and poor Mom. I hope she feels better soon and the antibiotics kick it out of her system quickly. Remember to give lots of probiotics to replace the friendly bacteria thats lost and lots of liquids of course. She'll be back in running shape in no time!

6. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Becky!! I need to get some more yogurt for her.

The sad thing is we might could have avoided this. The doc diagnosed her with a sinus infection on Tues. and she kept saying "But I'm sicker than that!" I called Wednesday to tell them she was worse and they told me to wait until Friday to give the zithromax time to work. So, instead of listening to her, I listened to them and waited until today to take her back in. Meanwhile, she's missed 4 days of school and crazy high bg's. So frustrating!

7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

UPDATE from FACEBOOK posted just moments ago:

Kristi Brashier posted on Facebook - Dr. is admitting Katie Jane to the ICU at Medical City. Thank you to all our peeps that are sporting HOPE on your hand today! We need a cure SOON!!!!