- advertisement -

Plug for paradigm silhouette

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anja821, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

How vitally important is it to put a plug in the set when I take the pump off for playing in the sprinkler? If I'm tied up with something and Evan wants to play with the hose, I just disconnect.

Would I need to do a fixed prime if he's off the pump for a while? Does the insulin that's in the catheter leak like a straw would without the plug?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know what you're supposed to do, but I think he'd be fine without it in the sprinkler. We don't put it on in the bathtub, and he even went swimming the other day without it, with no adverse effects.

3. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I am waiting for the answer myself..havent gone a summer pumping yet. But at pump classes the teacher did say that if she went swimming in a lake or pond to put in the plug, today she went simming in a pool and we didnt..to tell the truth I forgot all about it, I didnt prime either. So far we never have when she takes the pump off but then again she hasnt had it off for long yet either

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I never plug it (only if he's in sand)

and you shouldn't fix prime. Because once you disconnect whatever is in that cannula should still stay there as it's got nothing to push it through. (in theory) If you primed again you'd run the risk of giving too much insulin.

5. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I agree, no priming. If you have insulin coming out of the site, the site needs to be replaced (just ask me how I know-- thankfully only on me, not on Grace).

6. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

the only time Jesse plugs his site is when he's on the beach- we've had too many experiences where the sand gets in and he cant reconnect...
    Plain water( shower,pool etc ) cant hurt it.. Its sealed - nothing goes in or out..

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we use the quicksets, they work different than the other sets.. I know the quicksets it would be nearly impossible for something to get in there or insulin leak out because of the way they are set up.. but we still cap it just to make sure (creature of habit, really).. if you can cap it, I would.. Iwouldn't worry so much about the sprinkler but in a pond/lake Iwould want it capped:)

8. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

cap vs no cap

OK, so yesterday was my experiment day. since he was off the pump for so long and not capped, I ended up doing a fixed prime then bolusing for dinner. His BG was great, but at 10pm he was 90 so DH got him some milk. BG was the best it's ever been overnight, but he ended up at 265 by morning.

Today I kept him capped and didn't give as much insulin after being unplugged so long. We'll see how his overnight numbers are.

9. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

Austin never caps for swimming, and we don't do a fixed prime when reconnected. Like others, I'd cap for sandy areas. We don't have to worry about it this summer as he is taking a 'pump break'.