- advertisement -

Pls tell me all about pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ginagbaby1, May 10, 2010.

1. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Hi Everyone,

David really really wants to get a pump and our Endo said that we could get it but I'm still nervous. I know that it will be more work than MDI and that it will require a lot of monitoring. Another girl at David's school has the pump so he's seen it from the outside. We will probably get it next month.

How about when he takes a shower? How does it work? He also plays baseball and is a cub scout. Will this interfere with BB or when the scouts have a round of kickball?

What are some of the supplies (like a carrying case) that we will need for the pump? Any other info is greatly appreciated.

2. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

Which pump is your son interested in? Tubed or no tube?

My son has a MM722. You can disconnect for showers. You could disconnect for sports if you wanted to. There are spibelts etc. he could use during sports so he would not have to remove the pump.

3. Ginagbaby1

He's only see the tubed kind and was fine with that but I'm thinking about the no tube kind and wondering what would work better. Our CDE likes the MM and so does the little girl's mom from David's school.

4. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

in some ways yes a pump is more work but at the same time it also gives you allot more freedom imho ..if he wants an extra treat all you have to do is push some buttons instead of deciding if its worth an extra shot and you can be very accurate with dosage and adjust basals to fit each time of day as needed or special events like a bb game

as far as sports its a ydmv thing some go hi from all the excitment some go low from all the activity so you have to figure out what works for you but with the pump its easy to make changes for specific things with temp. basals

as far as showers..depending on which pump it is he can either just wear it like with a pod or disconnect the teatherd pumps

allot of people also find using a pump pack in a child that young helpfull to keep it from getting so banged up ...we dont use one dd never liked wearing it so we just use the clip

dd was dx 2/5/08 and we started pumping 5/1/08 ...for us i cant imagine going back to mdi, the pump made things so much easier on her...we still use lidacain or elma cream for every site change also which is a wonderful tool for numbing the area but not everyone uses it so you may or may not want to try it ..it does make site changes take longer where the cream has to sit on but for us its worth it

GOOD LUCK!!!
    which pump are you thinking about?

5. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Hey Gina! Our kids have the same Diaversary ;) Ella was also 6 when diagnosed!

She just started on the Ping and we love it! She is able to dose herself which is helping her be more curious about carb counting. She wouldn't ever give herself a shot, and I wasn't expecting her too, really, but this pump helps get her more involved. It is more work at the beginning, lots of testing, esp overnight, etc... but it's worth it! I love being able to go out to eat on a whim or something and not be able to b/c we didn't lug her needles/insulin with us. The other thing I've noticed that I love is that we are not "fighting" with the lantus. Her basal is adjustable. So, for example, if she is going low overnight, I can turn down the basal (as well as try to get some carbs into her!) and not worry AS MUCH ('cause we are moms, so we worry anyway...) knowing she's not also battling insulin. Does that make sense?

The reason we didn't do with the Omnipod is because I didn't want her to have to be responsible for remembering the remote to and from school. You can only get one and as far as I know it's VERY hard to replace. With the Ping (and MM) she can dose herself right from the pump.

She wears a spibelt most of the time. She also has one from PumpWear. She will also just throw the skin on and wear it on her pants or the belt from the Pumpwear pouch.

Hope this helped!

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

It's more work but we really like it over MDI.

We use the medtronic pump. For showers (or baths or swimming) you disconnect the tubing and put a little cap over the infustion set.

For sports or rough play he also disconnects. We find that the basal he doesn't get during sports is balanced fairly well by the physical activity.

When he's disconnected we don't suspend the basal. Our endo's team recommended that for two reasons. One, you don't have to worry about turning the basal back on and two, there's less chance of the insulan crystalizing and plugging up the connector.

Our son doesn't use a carry case, he clips it to his pants. I got him a spi belt but he doesn't like having to open it to get at the controls.

We got a couple of small stacking plastic containers (each with 3 levels) to carry his supplies in, one for the pump and one for the CGMS. We of course have a couple of china cabinet drawers full of supplies, but these small containers are good for keeping all the day to day stuff organized and handy when travelling.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

8. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

We have been thrilled with the Omnipod. The disclaimer here is that we have no experience with any other pump and, from what I can see, most everyone loves whatever pump they have. It comes down to your own preferences. DS wanted no part of tubes, so the Pod was the answer. He is the one wearing it and he likes it so I am ecstatic.

With the Pod, it stays attached all the time (showers, swimming, everything). DS is 8 and plays baseball and basketball, along with whatever other outside boy stuff he can do. He is VERY active. We sometimes add a little extra support (tape or a wristband around the Pod if it is on his arm) but we have had no real problems with activities.

The Omnipod came with everything we needed to get started, including a case for the PDM (wireless controller/meter). We have bought some extras to help with Pod adhesion (tape, SkinTac, etc). There are no real extras that can be used, since the Pod is attached and the PDM is wireless.

It is more work to start, but once you get things adjusted, the flexibility of a pump is great.

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

We use the MM..I do like it..however...2 gripes....I wish it had louder alarms on it..and I would love shorter tubing for little ones...We disconnect for baths, swimming etc..it cannot get wet..(cannot be submersed) www.medtronicdiabetes.com
    you can see the pump there....good luck..you will love pumping...yes it is more work, but well worth it..:)

10. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

We have my 6 year old on the omni pod no tubing and we absolutly love it I was afraid to start the pump too. But it has made our lives so much easier. WE have so much more freedom and jack feels so much more normal.. puting the pump on and running it is so easy it walks you through everything step by step. I say go for it!

11. Ginagbaby1

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I spoke with our CDE and we made an appt with the Medtronics rep to come out to our house tomorrow. Our CDE wants David to wear an infusion set for a couple of days to see how he feels. I'm nervous but excited.

12. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We haven't looked into it but doesn't medtronic have tubing in more lengths now?

eta: It looks like they have 18 inch tubing in most of their sets.

13. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Good luck--we love our medtronic!

14. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I have the Animas 2020 (Ping was just released in Canada awhile back but I've not bothered up grading)
    and the pros are that it is waterproof. I swim with mine all the time. I also ride horses, play sports and never really take it off. I keep it in a pump pouch I can't even tell it's there half the time. Animas pumps also come in some cool colors and have low basal rates (0.025)
    I love my animas :)