- advertisement -

Please tell me she will be okay

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BRANDYB, Aug 1, 2008.

1. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Today is Haleys first day in the middle school. I am having a nervous breakdown right now. I know she will be okay but I am so worried about her. I just hope kids are not mean to her when they see her pump or find out she is d. I also don't want her to be embarrased to check her sugar when she needs to. She says she does not know where she will check it at. Middle school is a big leap from last year and fitting in means alot right now to her. I guess with the seizure earlier this year I worry so much more when she is not with me. I feel like since that happen my little bubble of security is gone. Before d I would drop the kids off at school and go do whatever,shop,go to lunch with friends hardly stayed at home. Now I don't want to leave the house while she is at school so if she needs me I can get there in minutes. Okay I just had to tell someone how I feel....I know you understand.:(

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

You said you don't know where she'll test bg...My suggestion is you go to the school now and work that out.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

big hugs. I'm sure it will be ok. I agree with Ellen. IT might make you feel better to get up to school and try to work that out for her so that she doesn't have to worry about it.

4. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

I agree with Helen. You need to know what will be happening with your daughters care. Ease your mind a little and call the school nurse and make a appointment to see her.

5. Denise

Denise Approved members

I have to sit down and talk to Molly about her testing herself in school but for right now, we do it anywhere and everywhere we need to w/o making an issue. Hopefully this continues in school.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. Kids CAN be cruel but sometimes if they are educated ... they don't act like such fools. However, I know at that age they are self conscious and don't like to stand out... what a catch 22!

Try to keep yourself occupied today....distract yourself with a book, work, whatever!:cwds:

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ellen's absolutely right. Go to the school and make sure they know when, where and how to test.
    Do you have a 504 plan set up? If not, check out this link:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_000.htm

It is normal to worry when they go to school. Once the first few weeks go by and we see that things go ok, then we calm down some.
    Is there a nurse in this school?
    Make sure they have your home or cell-phone number, the endos number in case too. They should be able to contact you anytime for questions and actions to take.
    Make sure there are enough test strips, snacks, glucagon at school.
    Make sure that they are aware of how important it is to take immediate action during a low and what they should do in case of a high.

When your child comes home, have a talk with her so she knows what the set-up is at school and who to turn to for help.
    Perhaps contact the ADA. Maybe they can give you further advice or send a diabetes educator to the school. A presentation by you and your child to her classmates maybe also be helpful, but that all depends on how comfortable you and she are with others knowing about her diabetes.

I know it's not easy to stay calm. I was a nervous wreck when my son started pre-k (totally different from middle school), but after the first couple of weeks, it was ok.

Wishing you luck!!

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

It will be OK. *SHE* will be OK. Head on over to the school and make arrangements for her to check sugar in the clinic (they usually have at least one semi-private place where that can happen.)

Tom was diagnosed during middle school and those classmates to this day are the ones who *get it* best.

8. josmom

josmom Approved members

My daughter is a bit younger, going into 5th grade but she used to go down to the nurse to check her bg and do her injection before lunch. We live in a rural community so her school is for grades 3-12. It's been my observation that the kids have been fascinated by Josie's D routine. They all just watch and even ask questions. Josie is a born educator so she just jumps right in and tells them about diabetes. I am a knowledge is power kind of gal so I want everyone to be aware of her condition and I know I have kids as well as staff that keep an eye on my daughter so that brings me some peace. That said, I do understand the fear factor. I sub at the school so I can be around if there is a problem. Not a lot of money but great peace of mind. Just don't underestimate the ability of children to have compassion. If we treat the disease like it's a secret than I think that can cause more issues. I tell my daughter all the time, we all have our stuff; nobody goes through this life without a few battlescars it's how we wear them that makes a difference. I don't know if that helps but it's been my experience.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son was permitted to check bg any where and at any time from 2nd grade on. He was also given permission to use the bathroom freely as well as the water fountain.In public school he had a 504 plan. Each child's needs are unique.

It may be helpful to role play with your daughter if classmates are being mean about the pump, testing bg etc....so she knows what to say in response...and still feel really proud of herself and how she manages the diabetes.

Kids in middle school can be mean - with or without diabetes. Martial arts with a fabulous instructor, can really help a child develop self-confidence, self-control, and learn not to feel like a victim.

Also, each and every one of her teachers should have an informational sheet on diabetes care for your daughter as well as supplies in the event of low blood sugar. We used to give either glucose tabs or a container of individually wrapped life-savers, juice boxes....Supply them with whatever your child likes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Matt hasnt run across anyone who has been mean about his pump. Most kids think it cool. His classmates even make sure he has his juice before gym. Perhaps a onetouch slim in her purse would make her feel more at ease, or they even have that tiny disposable meter that looks like a film canister clipped onto a keyring. a few one shot lancets (can get those at walmart) and she could even step into the hall to take her sugar should she feel low and not want to do it right in the classroom. I would reccomend to have her tell each teacher a signal that she is going to excuse herself from the general class for some reason. As for most, they have thier kids walk with a buddy when they have to go to the nurse, thats something you may want to discuss with her as well so she can inform her teachers... In middleschool, they are not usually with the same kids in each class, so she probably isnt assured of having a good friend in each of her classes she will feel comfortable doing this with.

11. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

I didnt mention earlier but I have went to the school. She can test in the bathroom or anywhere she wishes but they prefer her to go to the office. The thing is the office is on the other side of the school and when it is time for lunch everyone else will be going and she is worried that she will not have no one to sit with. I know it sounds silly but it is important to her. I know she will be alright. She never had a problem in the elementary school.

12. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

my dd starts middle school in a few weeks and i think the the kids will be good to her does your schools have times where they are taught about t1 my dd was dx right before fifth grade and she already knew a little bit about it because are schools have a day a week the counselor comes in and talks about different things and diabetes is one when she was in fourth a fifth grader who had t1 came in and explained it to each class and they asked my dd if she wanted to do it when she was in fifth i think it made the kids more excepting not so scared of the unknown.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Who gives a crap what they prefer?! I'd tell her to quietly pull her meter out during the last few minutes of her class before lunch and test at her desk. (Maybe mention to her teacher that she will be doing that.) That way, she's all tested and ready to go when lunchtime comes and she can get a seat with all her friends. That's not silly at all! Sitting with friends at lunchtime is a BIG DEAL in middle school! There's no reason she needs to be inconvenienced by going to the office just to test before lunch!

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

I completely agree - she should not have to go to the office to test. Tell the teacher that she will be testing at her desk prior to leaving for lunch. Don't ask, tell! ;)

15. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

also wanted to add my dd school nurse just told me she wants 2 meters one in the office and one in a purse or something she carries so she can test any where

16. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

The school is not very aware of d at all. When I went for the meeting yesterday they informed me she would not be able to carry her meter around due to the possiblity of another student taking it and hurting someone. I informed them there was no discussion about this matter...the meter would stay with her....she was not going to be punished and have her life at risk because some out of control brat didn't know how to follow the rules. So they said she could keep it with her. During the meeting someone said,"here at our school we do everything we possibly can to accomodate our special needs children." It broke Haleys heart. All along I have shown her she is no different than anyone else and they label her. I hope this will be a good year for her.....

17. LJM

LJM Approved members

Brandy,
    I have a son starting middle school early next month. We have a draft 504 plan turned in and when we get back from vacation I am going to push for it to be implemented before school starts. He tests in class and always has. I would fear too much instructional time would be lost in having her test in the bathroom or office--that is just not acceptable. One thing I hope we have going for us: at back to school night the Principal mentioned that his daughter (now grown) has Type 1. Not sure how this will play out, but I hope it helps us get things in place more easily.

If you want me to send you our draft 504, just PM me. It is for injections, not the pump, but could be modified.

Laurel
    Mom to CJB (age 11), Novolog, Lantus, and NPH

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do you have a medical plan from the Endo? At least here, and I
    m assuming there...They have to do what the Doc has written down by law. So, if the Doc says she can test in the classroom and self treat, they don't have a chioce but to let her. That should also be in a 504 too. Along with things like re-taking tests when high or low, unlmited restroom breaks, having snacks and drinks with her or kept in each classroom etc etc..:cwds:

I get it too, Seth is starting 7th grade on the 13th

19. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

My daughter is in high school. She is allowed to leave class 5 minutes early before lunch to give her the time she needs to test her blood sugar, count carbs, dose insulin, etc. This works very well for her. Lunchtime at school is so short that she needs the extra 5 minutes and then does not feel like she is missing out on her lunch with friends because of her diabetes. This also gives her a chance to save the best "lunch spot" for her and her friends. :cool: