- advertisement -

please help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shaz, Jul 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. shaz

shaz New Member

my son is 21 and has now left home. He was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 5.I was taught to do his injection, This has always been a huge problem. Since turning 18 and moving to the adult side, things have just gone down hill.He has been given 8 sessions of psychotherapy to help with the fact he just cannot do his injections. We have now been told this is all the help that is available.He is a bag of bones he doesn' t eat all day so he doesn't have to inject. He has 1 injection a day, his night one that his girlfriend does, the hospital know all this but they don't seem to care, he`s on the verge of loosing his job he`s always ill . last year he nearly ended up in intensive care as they thought he was going into heart failure. Yesterday he called me crying saying I need help mum, his eye sight is going and his in constant pain with his legs,he`s depressed and is very negative about everything.I know I will have a call soon and it maybe to late. We are under Brighton Hospital. Does anyone know of any other help.ie hypnotherapy. I have suggested a pump but they said no not until he has good control. I am watching my son die and it breaks my heart I cant do more. THERE MUST BE MORE HELP.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'm not sure anyone here is going to be able to do much for you. Honestly it sounds like the best thing for your son right now might be a mental health hold at a hospital or other facility, perhaps one that treats eating disorders. He is certainly a danger to himself.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Are you in the UK? Perhaps other posters located there can chime in on how to respond to the hospital's decision about the pump. Is there an appeal procedure available? I can't imagine how heartbreakingly frustrating it would be to hear that he can't have a tool to help him address his control issues until he addresses his control issues.

I second the prior poster's suggestion to look into i-port; your son could also consider insulin pens. However, it sounds like there are some basic psychological issues that need to be addressed as well as the insulin delivery method. How close to you does he live? Is his girlfriend available at other times of the day to do other injections?

Very best wishes and hugs to you!

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I 100% agree. Your son's phobia is endangering his life. Inpatient treatment where insulin injections can be administered regularly by nursing staff whilst he receives treatment for his mental health issues would be the safest option. I think your son needs more help to address his issues in the long term than simply finding different insulin delivery options. Good luck, I hope your son can get some help.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree with nebby3. It sounds like what is going on with shaz's son is beyond what can be remedied in an outpatient setting. I'm in the U.S., so I know only about how involuntary hospitalizations work here (and as a matter of fact, the laws vary from state to state.) But after reading shaz's post, I would consider her son to be a danger to himself, which is one of the criteria utilized to facilitate involuntary hospitalization here in the U.S. I suspect this is not very different in Europe. This situation is far more serious than what an i-port or an insulin pump can "fix".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why can your son not do his own injections? He's had type 1 for 16 years and cannot do a shot? Has he always been unable to or did something happen to bring this on? If his GF can give I shot can she not give more than one per day so that he might eat?

I have never heard of anything like this.

I don't see how a pump will solve this - if he cannot do a shot then how will he manage an infusion set? And he checks his blood glucose or is that a phobia as well?

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm curious as to your son's history. Who has been doing his diabetes care for the last 16 years? Is this something new that he can't do his own care, or has it always been this way?
    IMHO, I don't think at this point a pump or an I-port will help. I think he needs some serious help from his healthcare providers including having a complete psych evaluation. This is more than just a person being non-compliant, this is a cry for help. I hope you are able to get him the help he needs.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Your son is mentally ill.

He needs to be hospitalized, as he is clearly a danger to himself. As his next of kin, you need to take the steps needed to get him hospitalized in a mental health facility so he can get the care he needs.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I have been thinking about this family all day.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Ditto (but maybe not quite all day for me...) I hope shaz posts an update once her son's situation is resolved (or at least on a better path).

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

3 days pass, 1 post?