- advertisement -

please help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mac350, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son exclusively uses the Delica lancet device. He will no longer use the pokers that come with the OneTouch meters. It can be adjusted so there is no pain.

My son was dx'd at 3. He didn't like finger pokes much, but hated the shots more. Getting angry doesn't help anyone, but getting the job done quickly always helps. My husband and I had to hold my son still to do the shots. Try to do this matter of factly and quickly.

Using bribery with the stickers helps -- any sort of cooperation needs to be rewarded.

2. simom

simom Approved members

Some additional thoughts:
    cute bandaids. My son was diagnosed when he was three, and for a while he had a bandaid on every finger by the end of the day - we had Batman and Spiderman and Cars. Pick a finger, pick a new bandaid - time for a poke. The interest in bandaids wore off about the time he got used to having pokes and shots - so it doesn't last forever.

We also let him watch TV when we did shots - the distraction of the TV was enough to have the shot over and done before he felt it.

sides of fingers - make sure you are poking on the sides of the fingertips - fewer nerve endings there, hurts less.

concept of teamwork - emphasize that you are working together to keep your child's body healthy - the child needs you provide care, and you need the child to cooperate and help you do that - we talk a lot, even now about "helping keep your body healthy" and "figuring out what your blood sugar is so we can have insulin (or food) to feel well/strong/healthy."

I remember our CDEs telling us that it took most children 2-3 weeks to adjust, and begin to willingly accept pokes and shots. I thought to myself "You have got to be kidding me - how could a kid ever accept this?! How will we ever feel like this is just routine?" Well - they were right - almost 2 weeks to the day, and the fighting had stopped - it was just part of meal preparation - he barely acknowledged the request other than to stick up a finger.

You will hear people on this website talk about "new normal" - and it will come. It's never fun, and we would all stop in an instant if we could - but many of us have reached the point where this is just another aspect of the complexity of our lives.

You can do this. Your child can do this. Hang in there!

3. emilysmommie

emilysmommie Approved members

I agree with the multi-clix, this is the 3rd lancing unit we have tried. And my daughter was only diagnosed last month! She also is 6 years old. She started testing herself a few weeks ago, and she is so proud of herself (I am too!) She is fine doing the finger pokes....it's the shots that I have to give her that she still whines and fusses about :(

4. mac350

mac350 Approved members

thank you so much everyone

i am so glad to be here.