- advertisement -

Please Help with Insurance Ideas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WhoDat, Jan 6, 2011.

1. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

My husband lost his job this week and our insurance will be terminated at the end of the month. We are eligible for cobra but it will cost us $1,200 a month for our family of 6. This is unaffordable for us now that we have no income untill my husband finds a job. Does anyone have any ideas that they can share on how to get affordable insurance or can you recommend any carries who offer reasonable rates? My daughter is on a cgms and the supplies are another issue in itself.
    Thank You!

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

First, I want to say that I am sorry about the job loss, it is scary.

Make phone calls--your state insurance commissioner office is a good call to place--ask lots of questions.

That just happened to us. I called our state insurance commissioner's office and was told that we have 63 days in which to find coverage, or pre-existing conditions might apply when obtaining the next health insurance. You have to pay the prior two months of COBRA if you elect on day 62--but it will also cover those medical bills that happened at that time in those prior 62 days--I have told. So, I was told that there was no harm in waiting the 63 days and electing COBRA on the last day if we chose. COBRA will not pro-rate and refund you if you cancel a partial month--I was told.

I did not look into Medicaid-- but I encourage you to check all of your state's insurance programs for health insurance--especially for kids, including Medicaid.

We chose to wait and DH was employed again with insurance under the 63 days--so we are covered with pre-existing issues and we did not pay COBRA $1400/per month. We did end up paying a little over $100 out of pocket for medical care and Rx with no insurance--but insurance would not have picked up 100% of that cost anyway.

3. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

Thanks for the advice and responding to my post. Sorry I'm just getting back here to see your response. I'm surprised more people didn't respond, I guess they're all fortunate enough to have never had a job loss and have been in this situation.

Yesterday my parents have offered to help us pay for our Cobra untill we get a job. Hopefully my husband will find something soon and we won't need to go have Cobra for long . Thanks again for the ideas and advice.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I honestly don't have any advice, but I am sorry you are having this problem. (((HUGS))) and good luck.

5. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

What state are you in?
    We didn't had insurance when my son was diagnosed! It sucked !
    Also, try talking to your endo. Ours was very helpful and understanding and hooked us up with loads of free samples !

6. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am so sorry to hear about your DH's job. When we had to go on COBRA, our premium was subsidized two thirds for the first nine months. Is this no longer the case?? This was about a year ago and brough our premium to $500/month instead of $1500....

I wish you best of luck...I can totally sympathize with your situation... Best wishes for your DH to find a new job quickly...

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

So sorry.....

Most states have a health insurance program for kids without insurance. Look to see if your state has one and at least you can get your kids on something.

When we moved to IL, we had no insurance for 2 months while waiting for coverage to start with DH's new job. (The kids were on the state program while we waited.) We didn't qualify for medicaid (DH was working at a new job) but based on our income, medicaid would kick in if we had over $6000 of expenses or something like that. So it was a relief to know that if something horrible happened, we wouldn't be bankrupt forever, there was at least some coverage in an emergency situation.

Let us know what state you are in, that would be helpful since all states are different.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

united health care has medical grants, let me see if I can find the link.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

children under age 19 are guaranteed issue, as long as you or your husband qualify, he is able to get coverage.
    I'm going to pm you

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

That ended in April or May of 2010. So, they didn't offer help for very long. :(

11. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

Tennessee. Our endo did offer to help in any way he could but did say he can't help with pump supplies. I owe medtronics $1700 right now as it is ..sooo expensive!

12. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

13. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

Ok Thanks!

14. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

Thank You!

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sometimes threads get lost in the shuffle, I saw your title and was going to respond then "lost" you for a couple days!

We paid COBRA for about 16 months out of fear, it really depleted our income, but we just had that nagging fear of any gap in coverage for our pre-existing condition kid.

Finally got brave enough to get the help of a great independent insurance agent.

Here's what we do now:

Our diabetic daughter has coverage through our state's pool for people with pre-existing conditions. It is a program that the state pays into and insurance companies pay into but it is insurance, you pay a premium monthly. It costs us about $220 a month. Coverage is comparable to Aetna before.

The rest of us got a high-deductible plan. We pay less than $6000 a year for the four of us for premiums. Our deductible, however, is $10,000. There are no copays for doctor visits and once we hit the $10,000 everything is covered 100%. I like the simplicity of this program and even though we had a ton of medical costs last year for our middle daughter, I still think we came out ahead even paying everything out of pocket.

We then have accident coverage (pre-existing conditions don't matter for that, since they don't affect being in an accident) for about $60 a month, and get a discount card for prescriptions through that.

Cobra cost us about $1300 a month, so this is a much better way to go. Plus, Cobra ends.

Of course with the new health care laws your situation will be different from ours, we started this before that went into affect. But this just to tell you that there are a lot of good options out there and it can be all right, as long as you face it and stay on top of it (we hid for awhile, but now we're out of the closet!).

I encourage you to get a good independent insurance agent looking out for you as soon as possible, it won't cost you a thing. You may also qualify for state programs for your family or for your kids, and the agent can help with that. If you think you qualify for and would like to use medicaid, check into it right away, I've had friends in that situation recently and the last thing you want when your kid is at the doctor is to have to start figuring out all that paperwork, get it done ahead.

Good luck.