- advertisement -

please help if you can :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mummyof4, Oct 14, 2008.

1. sofaraway

sofaraway Approved members

not correct, people can enter medical degrees at 18 after A levels (done either at college or 6th form). high school finishes at 16 after completing GCSE exams.

2. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Certainly no offence taken! You can't be far off in your facts!

I believe the has been a who-ha recently over test strips. I'm not 100% sure where is came from, but the NHS are trying to limit Type 2's from testing regularly, saying it's not necessary. And some doctors now limit test strip prescriptions. I'm presuming this is why Tracy's doctor says only to test twice a week!?

Many GP's have very little knowledge of Type 1. Tracy's doctor is really stupid and ill informed. Guidelines say it should be a same day referral for diabetes. He obvioulsy either has no idea of this, or chooses to ignore them. Unfortunately I don't think he's alone in his ignorance, although certainly amongst the worst, I've heard of.

In the UK you need to have gained certain results at school to go on to University to study medicine. (or anything for that matter) These exams start in 4th year, (Scotland) with further exams in 5th year, by this time most will be 17 years old. There is also a 6th year you can do at school which takes you to 18. You can leave school at 16, but the majority would not have gained the passes required to go to University. (unless exceptionally gifted and sat exams earlier)

I'm unsure what age medical students start University, but I expect few (if any) will be under 18. I'm not great at explaining things, but just wanted to give you an idea of how our education system works... I only know about Scotland!

A x

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

The other thing that sounds appalling about Tracy’s doctor is how quick he is to respond with the “you’re not telling me anything I don’t already know” reply. From my experience good doctors are always humble and quick to respond that with an “it is not really my field when they really don’t know.”

One of my previous endocrinologists was quick to tell me that I would know much more than any GP or family doctor about diabetes. Another told me that most GP’s would not know that people without diabetes can and do spill ketones.

18 is still young to be short-listed and put on the path to becoming a doctor. In the US and Canada you would need a minimum of a 3 year undergraduate degree to even apply to medical school. A four-year honours degree would be a more likely scenario, and still many successful applicants would have postgraduate degrees.

MCAT’s are also a tool used for weeding candidates out, and only an extremely gifted 18 year old would be able to perform well on an MCAT.

Anyways, I get the feeling that GP’s in the UK get monetary incentives for getting patients to comply with the 2 test strips per week guideline since I understand that they definitely get monetary incentives for having certain numbers of patients with in range blood pressures etc.

4. Val

Val Approved members

Hi! My name is Val & I haven't been reading the forums in a while, but took specific interest in your story. I think you have received some wonderful advice so far. I wanted to add that, my son was 22 months old when he was diagnosed. I had been to 4 different doctors,starting at age 18 months old, who all told me that he could not possibly have diabetes. It was just a mother's hunch that told me to keep at it. Simon was wetting through diapers a lot, but what really alarmed me was the amount of water he drank. No one took notice until I actually measured how much he drank (over 80 ounces per day). That doctor said "Oh that IS alot!" Finally I was able to convince them that they should run additional tests! I think you are on the right track, but it may take some time before it fully develops. I remember him asking over and over for oranges & we joked that he had a hollow leg because he could eat so much! He was not that high when he was diagnosed & only required a tiny bit of insulin. Apparently his pancreas was still producing enough to keep him healthy "looking" so no one seemed to be concerned. Keep monitoring & bothering those doctors! This is a wonderful place (as you already found out) to find some great support.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
    Val

5. mummyof4

mummyof4 Approved members

The people here have been fantastic! more help than i could ever imagen getting from a computer!

i do beilve that doctors don't know everything and i have concerns about holly that a feel should be check out, even if they think i'm crazy or over reacting.

like i have said before i hope i'm wrong? but somthing is telling me somthing is not right :confused:

i would never forgive my self if i just let this be and it turned out she did have D

thank-you so much for showing your support it mean's alot xxxx

6. mummyof4

I agree hun,
    i don't really understand much about the process needed to become a doctor so i am not going to pretend i do ;)

but i do feel that doctor nurses ect need to become more up to date as times go on? i feel that my doctor was reffering to type 2 diabetes and not type 1. when i first went to him about holly he said to me that he is more likely to get diabetes than holly is? i didn't really understand what he was saying at the time because i didn't really understand much about D my self! i understand a bit of it now and i'm sure i have alot more to learn! i think that this could become a big problem if doctors are not understanding the diffrence between type 1 and type 2! as my health visitor seemed to have the same problem!

xx

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Tracy,

That is such nonsense comments your doctor saying that he is more likely to develop diabetes than Holly.

With the fact that her blood sugars have been found to be out of range, and the fact that you even suspected diabetes it shows that you must have really good intuition or something.

From everything you have reported I do believe your daughter is developing some form of diabetes. It is not likely to be type 2, but it could be a form of monogenic diabetes which of not for your great intuition you would have never noticed.

In terms of monogenic diabetes if she did have monogenic diabetes it would likely be a form that is usually diagnosed in teenagers. There are forms of monogenic diabetes that are usually diagnosed before the age of 1, but I suspect if your daughter had one of these forms her blood sugars would be much more out of control then they are especially considering her age.

I think your goal should be to get NHS to pay for an appropriate number of test strips, alcohol swabs, lancet needles etc. although I do hope this has all been a big mistake. It really does sound like your daughter is in the process of developing diabetes.

8. mummyof4

Thanks hun,

i do belive that somthing is not right here, i am not sure what but it is what i belive to be D. as i have been told that there is no other reason her numbers should be as high as they have been?

the problem i have is it's not all the time? her pancreas seem's to still be producing some insulin! thats the only reason i can think of?

i have been buying the strips ect my self! i have had a few very kind people send me some and that has been a really big help as they are quite expencive but i don't mind as long as i can keep an eye on my daughter.

i know someone people do not agree with me testing holly but i have to say that it's my choice and i would hate anyone to be in the situation i have found my self in now :(

i hope to god that this has just been a big mistake but i will feel much better once i have had the tests done.

most of the people here have been fantastic and very supportive, i will just be so happy when all this is put to an end xxxx

9. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Tracy,
    Have you heard anything about the referal yet?

10. mummyof4

No not as yet? i did get a letter saying that.

The health visitor has recently referred Holly to the consultant community paediatrician.

This referral is inappropriate for our service and it would be more appropriate for the hospital paediatricians to see Holly for assessment

please accept this referral.

So they have sent it on to another doctor, i have had 2 referral's one from the health visitor and now one from the doctor, i would have thought i would hear somthing soon? as they both state urgent!!!

xxx

11. Ladder223

Ladder223 Approved members

What ever happened with your daughter ? I was on this site asking the same advice for the same situation. My daughter is 2 1/2 and showing symptoms of early onset. I;m wondering what ever happened with your daughter.

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I'd love to have an update too.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

This was one of the most viewed topics ever (17,772.) I’d be interested to know what happened also.

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I would like to know as well.

15. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Can anyone get ahold of mummyof4? An email, anything. I read this and was just thinking 'oh my god' because it seemed so familiar to me as Im sure to alot of people. I hope the baby is ok! I'll be checking this thread. I hope someone is able to get in touch! :(

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

She was on here February 10th. I've always had my suspicions about this particular situation, and the lack of any response kind of confirms them.

17. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Meaning she wasnt for real?

18. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

I just tried to PM her, and I told her to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond either by replying to my PM or posting an update. If she visit the forum again and doesn't do it, I don't know what I'm gonna think.

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I read on another thread that mummyof4 is usually on the UK forums.

20. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I emailer her a while back and never got a response.