- advertisement -

please help if you can :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mummyof4, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mummyof4

mummyof4 Approved members

oh sorry forgot to answer you first question,
    no she hadn't eaten anything before lunch? she had a glass of milk but didn't drink it. maybe a few sips x

2. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Hi Tracy

Holly's H1c was good. But to give you an idea, my last one was 5.2 and I'm type 2. I don't test often now, but I do still get readings of 11, 12 ish.

Marc's H1c is 6.4. He often has BG reading's of 15+, but also has lots of hypos.

How did you get on changing doctors?

A x

3. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Yep. If you have highs offset by lows, your average (A1C) may well come back "normal."

4. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

I must be quite low much of the time, I don't take hypos though. Just wanted to show although my Hba1c is "normal," I am diabetic and still get some highs.

A x

5. mummyof4

6. mummyof4

I contacted the careline and here is the reply i got, same advice you gave me really xx

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your email, and I am sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I can appreciate your concern over your daughter's possible diabetes not being
    taken seriously by her doctor, and as a result her not having all the proper
    diagnostic tests carried out. I would advise you to seek a second opinion from
    another doctor either within the practice or with another surgery. It is very
    important for you to know for sure what may be the problem with your daughter
    and if it is diabetes then the treatment to be started as soon as possible. If
    it isn't diabetes then it is important to know what is causing the symptoms she
    is experiencing.
    Meanwhile be aware of the food you give your daughter in respect of sugar, fat
    and salt content, as ideally she should be on a healthy balanced diet, which
    will help her to control her blood glucose levels and be as healthy as
    possible.

i want to keep checking her my self and am going to try with my doctor one last time (you never know i may just catch him on a good day?)
    also want to say a big thanks again to those of you who have donated some test strips i know i keep saying this but all your support means so much :)

7. mummyof4

Ok somthing really aint right here, holly has been asleep for about 4 hours had toast at about 8am then went to sleep around 10am she has just woken up feeling dizzy, crying and just not all there? i checked her blood sugar levels and they were 3.0 is that normal in a non diabetic to get such a low reading? i gave her some milk and more toast and shes now gone back up to a normal level of 6.9
    :confused:

8. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

The only reason a diabetic would get that kind of reading is because they are taking insulin and may have taken too much. It isn't normal for most people to be three. Something isn't right. Keep testing and recording and get her to the doctor again...

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Isn't it possible for someone to have ups and downs like that before diagnosis?

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

This sort of occurrence is not uncommon prior to Type 1 D diagnosis. DD had lows prior to being diagnosed. Our endo called it "overshoot", when the functionally impaired pancreas which is straining to bring down a high BG level puts out too much insulin.

IF this were my child I would keep measuring BG regularly (and recording the results), and trying to make the diet as easy on her pancreas as possible. Small meals, balanced with proteins, fats and carbohydrates (with a focus on low glycemic index carbs), no pop or fruit juice, and as little as possible in the way of sweets or junk food will help.

11. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I know it's often that I get the shakes after drinking a Tim Horton's large coffee double/double and eating a chocolate chip muffin. MMMmmm, on top of the overload of chocolate chips, they put these huge sugar crystals on it. *drool* Probably a serving of 150g of carbs and caffein spike. About two hours later I get so shaky and my mind can't focus and get really hungry. All symptoms that Emma says she gets when she's low. I assume that my body over compensates for the super excess amount of carbs. To make myself feel better, I eat something. I never tested myself because it usually happens at work where I don't have a meter.

12. BozziesMom

Without a doubt. I think lots of people experience lows prior to dx - along with highs of course.

13. mummyof4

When the doctor first ever tested her she was 3.4 and nothing like she was yesterday? he said it was quite low but shes fine? asked me if she had anything to eat (she did brekfast about 3 hours before) and that was that sent me on my way? i had no idea like i do now at the time, if i did i would have questioned him more :( xx

14. BozziesMom

Well, how could you know? Yeah, that's low. So what's your next step? I know you're fighting like mad to get some help.

15. mummyof4

Well,
    i am planing to test her for the week and then take her in again monday.
    i have had the flu all week and feeling really ill, i think holly is coming down with it too. all the others have had it so it's just me and holly to go now, i was wondering if he would take notice of the numbers if she had the flu? (would he just put it down to her being ill?)

when she had the 3.4 at the doctors she was ok not dizzy, sick? just her normal self, but yesterday when she had it she wasn't her self? she said she felt dizzy her belly was hurting and was just kinda ratty.
    thats not like holly to be like that at all she's always happy ill or not she always has a big smile on her face :) xxx

16. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

The fact that she is getting the flu, could somewhat be a good thing in getting her diagnosed, or at least the doctors to look at the high numbers. Many kids are diagnosed after the flu or some other illness because their insulin needs go up and their bodies cannot keep up. I would keep on checking her and make sure that she doesn't get ketones. If she is diabetic, the flu could be the thing to push her over the edge and make her sick, like the doctors want her to be for a diagnosis.

17. mummyof4

Oh ok,
    Makes sense I just checked her at 10:30 and she’s 9.1 she normally would have gone down to a normal range by now?
    She had dinner at 7:30 tonight and then had a lolly at 8pm (from Halloween) xx

18. mummyof4

Ok this is real???? 13.1 now? but checked again to be sure and it was 11.5?

:eek: i think she really has this :( xxx

19. mummyof4

Ok this has been holly tonight.

14.41 she was 4.9
    15.54 she was 8.5 double checked and it was 8.3
    20.01 she was 9.1
    22.46 she was 8.7
    00.00 she was 13.1 double check and it was 11.5
    00.24 she was 9.4

she has just woken 1:30 and wanted a drink and somthing to eat? i wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to give her food? so i just gave her water? 1:30 she is 6.3 back to normal again?

20. BozziesMom

Man alive. I hope someone helps you on Monday. This is just wrong to be dismissed by so many. I'm just disgusted on your behalf. Outrageous. Please let us know how it goes Monday.