- advertisement -

please help if you can :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mummyof4, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mummyof4

mummyof4 Approved members

Hi there i was wondering if anyone could help?
    my daughter is 2 1/2 years old and has every symptoms of diabetes, i went to see my doctor yesterday to discuss this and he check her blood sugar levels they were 3.5 and told me that she dont have diabetes and that i must not worry? is this the correct way to test for diabetes? i was not conviced so i brought my own and tested her before her evening meal. the results were 10.7? i then tested her again this morning and the results shocked me???? 17.1? thats high right? however i am not totaly sure that she didn't eat as she was awake before me with my other children but they say she never had anything to eat, so i am going to do another tomorrow morning so i can be 100% sure. is this result normal even for a child not belived to have diabetes please any info would help many thanks for taking the time to read this xxxx :)

2. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

This is from Wikpedia

Normal values

Despite widely variable intervals between meals or the occasional consumption of meals with a substantial carbohydrate load, human blood glucose levels normally remain within a remarkably narrow range. In most humans this varies from about 80 mg/dl to perhaps 110 mg/dl (3.9 to 6.0 mmol/litre) except shortly after eating when the blood glucose level rises temporarily (up to maybe 140 mg/dl or a bit more in non-diabetics).

The dr. should do a urine and a blood test, not just a finger poke. Make sure that when you check her that her fingers are clean, residu will give you a higher reading.

3. mummyof4

thanks for the advice i will keep it in mind for next time, i am going to talk to the doctor again about the test but i just wanted to see if i have any cause of concern? anymore advice would be appreciated thanks again :)

4. ROVERT81402

What symptoms is she having?

5. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Hi, just wondering whereabouts are you?

I was also going to ask what symptoms she has. When I took my daughter to the GP to be tested, I took some urine with me in a clean container, and he tested it with a dipstick and found loads of sugar there. So I would make another appointment and say you are still concerned and have brought some urine just for your peace of mind. Maybe ask to see a different doctor within the practice.

Layla x

6. mummyof4

She is always thirsty and goes to the toilet alot, when i say alot i mean alot. i used to think it was just her but recently i have noticed other symptoms that have made me feel this could be diabetes, always hungry, tired, pins and needles in her hands and feet, (well she crys and holds on to her feet saying mummy it's hurting! (for no reason so i am guessing it's pins and needles) she also has had problems with her weight she was tested for cystic fibrosis (the results came back borderline) still being investigated. also she cut her chin around 7 months ago and it's not healing properly the doctor says that could be Eczema. think with all these symptoms he should have tested her properly :( also i don't know if it runs in famillys but there is a big history of diabetes with in my familly. thats all i can think of for now? but i'm sure thats it. thanks for replying :) xx:cwds:

7. mummyof4

I am in south east london :) x

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I would definitely take her in again. A 17.1 mmol/l is almost 308 mg/dl, which is way too high, even just after eating. And she is showing telltale symptoms. When you say problems with her weight, is she gaining or losing?

9. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Certainly some symptoms sound similar to Type 1 Diabetes.
    What sor tof problems is she having with her weight? With Type 1 Diabetes the body will lose weight because the body will eat all the fat stores in the body.
    Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease so even if your family has a history of Type 2 then it does not mean she will develop Type 1 or vice versa.
    What sor tof meter did you check her with, what times, how long or before eating, and most importantly Were her hands clean before testing? That can happen a lot where we test a child and their hands are sticky with food or something.

Def. talk to the doc about your concerns more.

Hang in there and hoping for the best.
    Allene

10. mummyof4

Hi there no she's not big for her age proberly about right but sometime just just seem to put weight on, i got her weighed last week and she hadn't put on any weight at all in 3 months. the H/V are used to this with holly and they say it's right for her and all children are diffrent! but i was worried about the high result i got this morning but i wasn't totaly sure if she had eaten anything so i wasn't sure if the result would indicate anything :)

11. danismom79

Is she with you right now? Can you clean her hands (dry them really well) and do a random check?

12. mummyof4

I am using the accu-chek multi clicker (i belive thats right) i am going to do another test tomorrow morning. and make sure she hasn't eaten and that her hands are clean (i do belive they were she had had a bath the night before. but like i said i wasn't totaly sure if she had eaten of not. :) thanks xx

13. mummyof4

Would it matter that she's just had lunch? i thought it was best to check at least 90mins after eating? xx

14. ROVERT81402

You can still check her. If she is diabetic, her blood sugar will be substantially higher after eating.

15. ROVERT81402

16. mummyof4

Hi there again i just done another test, she had a sandwich about half and hour ago and the results were 11.7? is that anything to worry about? thanks so much for all your help xxx

17. danismom79

Yes, that is very worrisome. :( Normally, a person without diabetes wouldn't go above 140 mg/dl, or 7.7 mmol/l. Please get her retested - blood and urine - and ask them to check for ketones. I don't know what you have available at a pharmacy (chemist?) but there are over-the-counter urine ketone strips.

18. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Get an A1C Test Done!

Hi Mommy,

I would ask the doctor to do an A1C test for sure. Don't know what they refer to it as in England. But essentially it is a blood test that will look at the overall average blood sugar for a period of 3 months in the blood stream. If it is higher than the norm should be (I think here is is under the 6.0 mark to be non-D) then she is definitely exhibiting early signs of D. This will also rule out any food swings etc.

Good luck and don't wait to get her re-tested. This is definitely alarming my Mommy instincts big time.

19. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Hi again,

I am up in Yorkshire.

I would definitely go back but ask to see a different GP if you can - and definitely take a urine sample like I said before. They should have dipsticks they can check straight away. Grace was diagnosed immediately just from a urine sample (she is 3).

By the way the A1C test is also called that over here, so you could ask for that too. Either way see if the GP will refer you up to the children's ward at the local hospital as they will know a lot more there than the GP does.

Good luck, hope it's not diabetes.

Layla xx

20. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Please, please, please do not wait to check her until tomorrow morning. I am not trying to alarm you, but if that reading of 17 was accurate, you really need to be monitoring her closely. Please wash her hands and dry them very well then retest now. If she still has high readings then you need to be seen immediately by a doctor who will take you seriously. Do not wait. The onset of type 1 diabetes can be very fast moving. At diagnosis, many of our kids were fine one moment and on death's door the very next. You do not have to worry about whether or not she has eaten before testing, in fact elevated blood sugar levels after eating is one of the first symptoms of type 1 diabetes. Often fasting blood sugars do not become affected until onset has progressed substantially and by that time your child could be very ill. A high reading is never normal (although we all have small changes in blood sugar after eating). Any reading over 11 after eating is cause for concern in my opinion. If her next reading is high I would recommend the following:

• have her seen right away by a physician. On your way to the doctor give her a high carb food or beverage (preferably a big cup of juice). You want to make it easy for them to give you a diagnosis. If they see a number like 17 they will take this more seriously (regardless of whether or not she has eaten) than if they see a borderline number like 10.
    • Watch her closely. If she exhibits any of the following symptoms, please have her seen immediately. These are emergency symptoms of DKA and can be very, very dangerous: Sluggishness, extreme tiredness, fruity smell to breath (similar to nail polish remover), Hyperventilation, at first rapid and shallow, then progressively deeper and less rapid, Agitation / Irritation / Aggression / Confusion, and vomiting.
    • Continue to monitor her blood glucose readings and record them for the doctor. Make sure to throughly wash and dry hands before each test.