- advertisement -

Please help ASAP if you can

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kalebsmom, May 2, 2009.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I think short acting insulin should come in to play for all highs that are caught, and routine bg testing, just like a type 1 needs to be done too.

Low doses of long acting insulin may need to be used from time to time, during this period if continuous highs occur.

The key is to avoid the highs, in order to preserve her pancreas function as long as possible.

2. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Hi....thanks for updating all of us. I just wanted to let you know that Zoe did not have ketones, and her sugar that fateful night we "knew" was 474. The next morning, 106. After breakfast, 180, by the time we got to the endocrine's office, she was 260. Our endo had us give Zoe a couple units of her big sister's lantus to "keep her out of trouble" overnight. She did not feel either that the situation was dangerous. We went to the doctor the next morning, got our diagnosis, and started our new life with 2 kids with diabetes. Zoe did require insulin right away (I think her a1c was 7.2?) but it wasn't much. She did not honeymoon very long at all though.

3. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

Oh Kristi- Hugs and prayers.

You are describing exactly what my Riley behaved like, looked like and smelled like prior to dx. I don't think she had ketones. The reason I say I don't think so is because at the time I did not know what ketones were and I was so overwhelmed with all that was going on. But I think that if they had said that she did have them I would have remembered and they sent us home that night after being admitted at 4:00 pm so she could sleep at home and they could check her fasting number the following morning. I think if she had had ketones they would have kept us there. I plan to ask her endo if she had them when she was dx at our first post dx appointment which is FINALLY coming up on tuesday after being pushed back 3 weeks. At diagnosis she was at 485 if I remember correctly.

Hang in there and please keep us updated.

4. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

I think they need to do the glucose tolerance test and all the other test first before insulin is started. It seems the numbers from today do not show an urgency for insulin. Good luck.

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Check for ketones..and listen to your "gut" If you have to go get her to ER..do so..
    I dont like that you are smelling the sweetness to her breath...that could be from ketones..
    I would call the endo and let them know this latest symptom and that BG is kind of high..
    TRUST YOUR GUT!!! Good luck...we are here for you..

Amanda has the sweet fruity breath too..at diagnosis but she was in DKA..is your daughter breathing funny by any chance??

6. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

Chloe had D for about 1.5 yr.. When Austin came home and drank a huge glass of water and said that he had a headache, something told me to check him. Meter said Hi, washed his hands, Meter said hi. Checked Ketones zero, called Chloes Endo Sunday night and took him to the E.R....The rest is history. 2 kids type 1.....

He said that he knew he had it, just didn't want to admit it.:(
    Good luck, Hope its not D!

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

I'm just checking in..seeing how she's feeling today. I'm worried that this is stewing and that she'll get sick fast...:eek:

8. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

I'm just seeing this post for the first time and wanted say I'm so sorry for Riley. This must be very hard, but stay strong. You know what this disease is and you can handle it!! BIG HUGS!!!

9. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Why wait? I would rather know then not know in order to treat her if needed. I never heard of waiting and given a timeframe of a child being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. A BG level that high needs to be delt with immediately.
    Just my thoughts.
    Prayers for both of you and remember you have alot of people here for you.

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I hope you are getting the answers you need today. Sending prayers.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

There is a good reason to start her on insulin immediately, even if A1C is still reasonable.

This study (and other similar studies) have shown that the honeymoon (remission) may
    last longer if insulin is started when A1C is still low.

http://www.curehunter.com/public/pubmed16629716.do

Last edited: May 4, 2009