- advertisement -

Please explain DKA

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Can someone give a good explanation of DKA versus just having ketones. We had a pump problem(I think he didn't reconnect) and in the morning he had ketones and vomiting. We gave shots and kept checking and the BG's came down and the ketones came down within 4 hours I think. Not sure if that is DKA or just ketones???:confused:

Our ketones that time were 1.6 I believe on the meter.

2. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

From the ADA:

Ketoacidosis (key-toe-ass-i-DOE-sis) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death. When your cells don't get the glucose they need for energy, your body begins to burn fat for energy, which produces ketones. Ketones are acids that build up in the blood and appear in the urine when your body doesn't have enough insulin. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick. High levels of ketones can poison the body. When levels get too high, you can develop diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA.

For more info:
    http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html

Perhaps I should have read your post a little closer, I appologize.
    Ketones happen when your body begins to burn fat for energy, DKA happens after the ketones have built up to a high level (there is a test hospitals use to determine it, I'm pretty sure if I remember right it has to do with it changing the body's ph balance). By this time you/child symptoms are usually dehydration, vomiting, and lethargy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How fast can this happen??

4. rare

rare Approved members

It can take mere hours. That's why pump users are advised to test hourly when having a bg over 240ish along with checking for ketones, doing site changes, and correcting by injection when it doesn't come back down.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The basic difference is that ketones are ketones, and DKA is ketones AND the body is imbalanced, and becomes acidic.. I'll tell you, kaylee had 3.5 ketones when we went to the hospital a few years ago, she had had them up and down for a few days.. her belly wasn't bothering her and she was acting fine.. but she was dehydrated.. the hospital dilly dallied for 4 or so hours before even giving her FLUIDS, she ended up in DKA because they didn't do anything..her ketones went to 5+ and she was throwing up (which the stupid hospital said was because she was ill.. I had to explain it to them.. if they had done what they were suppose to and hooked her up to fluids most likely we would have skipped the 3 day hospital stay and DKA.. we've had ketones as high as 3+ without DKA, but we get them down as fast as we can.. Kaylee developes ketones very easily, most of the time they dissappear quickly and we have no problems.