- advertisement -

Playing Guitar and Fingerstick BG Readings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by IBelieve, Sep 19, 2012.

1. IBelieve

IBelieve Approved members

Hi All,

Does anyone have T1 a child who plays guitar? I am wondering if the finger calluses by playing the guitar make it harder to take BG readings.

It would appear that the finger calluses would require a deeper poke by the lancet to release the blood and heavily callused fingers may not be suitable for fingerstick BG.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Arvind

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie plays both electric and classical but she tests on her forearms most of the time. Love alternate site testing:cwds:

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

My son has played for a couple years, but doesn't have any problems checking on his fingers...of course, he doesn't practice either! :rolleyes: He plays "harder" than his sisters, and I've always wondered if his fingertips were less sensitive, but he says they're fine.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I know this has been asked a few times and all say their kids can still play :D!

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

I played the violin for 9 years. I had such thick calluses on my fingers that I would have to remove the callus before the lancet could get any blood. I did alternate site testing during that time.

6. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

My son has played since he was 4 and he is 16 now :eek: he has no problem taking his bg and he does it 10 to 12 times a day

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If they are playing guitar correctly, the callouses will be on the tips of the fingers. When they check their bg it should be on the sides of their fingers, so it really should not be an issue.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Ben has been playing guitar daily for a while now. He tests on the sides of his fingers and doesn't have any problems.