- advertisement -

Play Dates and/or Sleep Overs! HELP!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PseudoJenn, Jul 5, 2009.

1. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

What did/do you do??? :confused:

DS is 7, and is itching to go to friends houses over the summer. What do I do? None of the Moms know about D care. Do you ask them to watch him for signs of lows? Does he take his meter with him? He can do everything about the BG check EXCEPT poke himself.. he hasn't gotten there yet, and I don't want to push him on it. In time, I see it happening.

Birthday parties.. .. my mind is whirling. I feel like I'd have to go for a playdate or a party. I'm at a loss at thinking about what you guys would do. So... what WOULD or DO you do for invites to other peoples houses??? :cwds:

Thanks! :eek:

2. Melissa

Melissa Approved members

So far, there is 1 house that DD goes over for a playdate without me. The mom has been great! Since DD is 3, she can't do anything herself. The mom checks DD BG, gives snacks as needed and has given shots for meals. I went over for the first playdate after dx and showed her everything.

Each time DD goes over to play I write do everything down. What time to check her BG, what DD does when she is low, how to treat the low, if DD eats X then give her Y shot, etc... I send snacks in Zip-Locks for each child coming, juice boxes for lows and a thing of cystal light for her to make. I also ask what she will be making for lunch/dinner & write down the carb counts for everything.

I do make it easier for her and draw up 4 shots for any BG/carb combo that might happen then label with with tape....

But that is the only friend that DD goes to... in the 6m since dx no others have asked. Before dx she had playdates weekly.

HTH

3. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Now, THAT is an awesome friend! Clever idea to draw up needles ahead of time for her. What a shame that the other mothers aren't stepping up to the plate:(

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

This is a tough thing. One of the things that makes me feel saddest about D. Because no matter how you cut it, our kids aren't able to just go on a play date. There is so much more involved now.

For me, I try to have kids over here. If someone asks to have Kylie or Travis over (which hasn't really happened too much yet) it just depends on a lot of things: how long, what will they be doing, will I be there or close by, etc. They can both check their own bg and know their lows now so that doesn't scare me, but the overall care is something that has to be addressed.

I don't know the answer to it, but I think I would only be comfortable sending my kids with someone who got the importance of taking care of them and would be willing to take that on. I would also be very available for questions.

ETA: I think that pumping makes this easier overall since many people have a fear of the injections and not as much fear of button pushing. But the overall care and understanding of D needs to be there no matter what kind of insulin therapy you are on.

5. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We try to have her friends over to our house. There are two Moms of her friends who I trust for her to go to their houses. They get the "basics" and know to call me with any issues. Tori can test herself though so without your DS being able to do that, I think you will have to find out which Moms will step up to the plate to help because either you will have to go or they will have to want to learn to do the BGs etc.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

As long as the mom (or dad) of the friend is willing tho have your child over, and is willing to "follow directions" it should be just fine.

I always made a bullet type list with instructions, if bg is between xx-xx then this if between xx-xx then this etc etc. I packed all supplies needed, show the parent how the bg meter worked etc.

Maybe for your own comfort you could start with a short playdate that is before or after lunch so no meals would be involved.

Tyler was on NPH for the first 2 years, so meals weren't a big deal, no shot needed for lunch or snacks, but after that, and before he was on pens, if he was staying for dinner, or sleeping over, I would just run and give him his shot and then leave again and pick up whenever was normally scheduled. (sometimes I would be back an hour later, to pick up, but I couldn't take away having dinner at a friends because it was inconvienent for me)

We have always approached Tylers diabetes as "It is what it is, and it doesn't change who he is, or what he can do" and I think others pick up on our attitude and aren't afraid to invite him over.

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have a similar approach. I leave a list of instructions and times to check his bg. My son knows how to do his own fingerpokes and that was part of the agreement between him and I - he needed to learn his pump and fingersticks prior to going to friend's houses so I could talk to him over the phone if I needed to in order to do a correction or check his bg - even with Mom's who are willing to learn he needed to be able to do these things himself. I didn't push him but he had a new desire to learn. I also provide a list of carb counts if I know the snacks ahead of time or they just call me if they have questions. My son would be so sad if D interferred with his social life!!!!

8. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

We haven't been at this very long, so I don't have a lot of experience to share... but... Mara was invited to two parties of classmates within the first month or two after dx. For the first one (a skating party before she went to D-camp), I went along. I had my book handy so I had all of the information that I needed. The only glitch was that the skating place didn't have any diet soda other than cola, which Mara does not like. It was a small little bummer for her to have water, but I know now how to prepare for such "emergencies" (lol). She had a blast with her friends, and I got to know the mom a little better too.

The second party happened right after she got back from camp. She was able to give her own injections, so all I had to do was find out what she was having to eat (pizza, of course) and ice-cream cake from DQ. We brought our own beverage, so there wasn't any issue there. The deal was that Mara had to call me when she checked her bs, and again after she was done eating so I could let her know how much insulin to give. The mom was very understanding about wanting to know the details of the menu. But, we didn't even "check" before she rsvp that she would go. I knew that the plan between us was good, and that I was just a phone call away in case there were any problems.

Hope you are able to find a comfortable way to say "yes" to these events. It has been a little more comforting to me, knowing that she doesn't need to miss out on the little things.

9. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

When DD was 7, I sent her to play dates with her meter and a "cover letter". It was a one page sheet that had a little explanation of what diabetes was, (that is wasn't catching and that she had to have insulin for food) and that outlined signs of highs and lows and what to do (give a tab or call us).

Most parents were appreciative of the info and most of the time, the play dates were short enough that there wasn't anything they had to do D-wise. There were a few people who didn't have her over again, but that's life.

For birthday parties, we gave (and still give) a cell phone and just had her call us before the treats or with any questions. I would make a quick entrance to figure carbs and do the shot and then would disappear again. This might be hard to do with two little ones in tow (I only had one and he loved wrangling a piece of cake while I helped DD), but it worked for us until she was more self-sufficient.

10. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

This has been one of my big worries too - but I finally typed up a sheet to give out - which includes how to recognize and treat lows, step by step info on how and when to use the Glucagon, my cell number, etc. I give it out to his teachers, camp counselors, friend's parents, his baseball coach and even to relatives who he spends time with.

Corinne