- advertisement -

Planning for school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Aug 9, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

I have a meeting next week with my son's grade 2 teacher to discuss his diabetes care while at school. I am curious what protocol others have in place for their children regarding carrying around the blood check meter and glucose when they are in different parts of the school. Last year, my son's meter and glucose sources were kept in his classroom and if he was in another part of the school, he would be walked to his classroom to test and treat. It is a small school so no rooms are too far away from his classroom. However, I'm not that comfortable with him being at the outside playground without a glucose source. He is 7 years old and I suppose I could make sure that he carries one with him, or would you have the teacher take responsibility for this. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I always made up low kits for all the various classrooms with just a few juice boxes and a roll of tabs. Main classroom and PE got much larger stocks and the nurse's office got the suitcase:p. We opted to have her treat if feeling low then get to the nurse, or if really feeling unwell have the nurse come to her (happened maybe once, if at all) In 3rd grade she started doing all her testing and treating in the classroom, but I still, to this day, provide every classroom with an emergency low/lock-down kit and she's 15;)

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Interested to hear replies -

My son is 6 (going into first grade). Last year he kept all of his testing supplies in the nurses office (we have two meters so it just stays at school). His glucose sources are there too.

I know some parents on this board have their child carry a small backpack or fanny pack with supplies. However, I have never thought about him being on the recess field without a sugar source.

We have a full-time nurse so I would expect that she would be called - my son also wears a CGM.

Do other parents have teachers carry a glucose source to recess?

Interested to hear your replies -

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

No sugar at recess here although we've only had one school year under our belts and recess was immediately after lunch, so the chances of an issue was very minimal.

The distance between the playground and the office/nurse's office isn't any more than from the far part of our backyard to the back door of my house. I don't make her carry sugar with her when she's in the yard playing.

Maybe I'm less concerned because she consistently feels her lows and they make her feel crappy enough that she wants to address them right away, but you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My daughter doesn't carry sugar with her at her school recess. But at her old school they had a teacher who carried a basket around, it had inside of it bandaids, tissue, and sugar packets =). was never needed though.

6. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

My daughter has carried a purse since 4th grade with her meter, snacks for lows and her cell phone (kept off). I wanted her to have something with her in case of lockdown, tornado warning, fire drill, etc. I am the sub nurse at our school, and I know what it's like during lockdown, etc. dd did have a low one time during a fire drill, thus now carries a purse! Thinking a fanny pack or cinch sack would be a good idea

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My school didn't want kits in every classroom. We have a bag that travels with him. In the past the teacher has been responsible but I'm not sure what to expect in third grade. The nurse when he was in kindergarten thought the kit was unnecessary and we battled about it. She figured that she would be able to go to him quickly whenever there was an issue even during a lock down. We had a new nurse in first grade and she wanted him to have a kit (thank goodness) and she made a laminated list for teachers to go by in case there is a lock down, etc. The kit has a glucogon, meter, tabs, a juice box, and the laminated instructions.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've never had him carry anything with him at recess or PE. Like other posters have said, he plays in yard and neighbors' yards without anything on him, and we've never had an instance where a low hit so fast and so hard that he couldn't walk. He's probably safer at school than he is in our backyard, because there are so many people around.

I'm going to make up little bags of Starbursts for them to stash around the school in case of a lockdown, but that's about it. Otherwise he has a kit and low supplies in his classroom and the majority of supplies in the nurse's office. He would absolutely not want to carry anything from room to room, and it would be misplaced by about hour 2 of the first day anyway.

9. MapleSyrupMom

MapleSyrupMom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed in grade 2 and up until last year she didn't carry anything around with her, but I did stash juice boxes in the gym office, library and main office. However, this past year when she was in grade 5, I read something somewhere (probably here) about a child being without supplies during a lockdown, which was a rather frightening idea, since if a child is outside of a classroom during a lockdown they are supposed to go to the nearest room. This year I started getting Alyssa to carry an extra meter and glucose tabs in a fanny pack. I'm not sure she complied all the time :cwds:, but hopefully she at least did when she was far away from her classroom as our school is very spead out.

Not the same thing, but my son has food allergies and since kindergarten he hasn't left the house without an epi-pen strapped to his body!

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD does not carry a source of glucose with her at recess and during PE. Most of the time, PE has been right after lunch, making the need unlikely. We also have a full-time nurse at school, so if needed, the nurse would go to DD.

I make up small plastic pencil cases (Staples sells them for a dollar) and add a box of raisins, roll of glucose tabs, pack of peanut butter crackers and a packet or tube of honey for her classrooms (homeroom, art, music, p.e., reading, and math) with a sticker that has her name/picture/grade and some basic instructions (e.g., call the nurse and return to nurse at end of year).

When she plays in the neighborhood with friends, she generally does not carry glucose unless she is going to a friends' house (in which case she takes her pump controller) or if her friends are going on a bike ride a little farther afield.

This year, DD wants to test in class, so we are working that out. She'll need a small purse for the PDM and some glucose, but that might obviate the need for the other stuff.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I found this purse at Kohls and it is nearly perfect for a 1st purse.

I is big enought to hold the PDM poker and strips in the main compartment and then there are 2 other compartment that can have a small cake gel (23carbs) a couple fun size skittles and a couple of syridges. The purse zippers on top and the strap is easy to change lengths and it is soft and flexable to e thrown in a backpack with ease. It took ma a long time to find this not too big but not to small purse for her!

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Very cute! And of course I just gave my MIL a $10 off Kohls coupon. I think DD actually has a small purse that would work, but a back- up would be nice.