- advertisement -

Placement of cgm sensor and pump needle

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

We are also also at the point where we are considering a pump and cgm. My son is skinny with no fat. He needs to gain about 40 pounds. He is also a picker and I can easily imagine him messing with the tape.

Where do you place your child's sensor and pump needles? Any spots that last longer or to avoid? Any tips on the best insertion kits or needle types.

Also are the cgm sensors waterproof? I am having trouble finding that info.

Is anyone having trouble with getting the Dexcom G4 approved by insurance since it is only FDA approved for adults?

Does anyone routinely use EMLA for insertion of the CGM sensors?

Thanks for the help.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi! My son is almost 9, and has been using a pump and CGM full-time since he was 4. We use tummy for pump sites and upper bottom for CGM sites. Other possible sites for both are arms and thighs. The type of pump site you use is really personal preference. We have used both the sites where the tiny needle stays in, and the 30 degree angled sites. I love the angled sites, because they stay put, and in our experience almost never fail.

Yes, CGM sensors are waterproof, as is the transmitter when it is connected to the sensor.

We use the Medtronic CGM, so I can't answer any questions about insurance approval of the Dex.

We use EMLA for insertion of pump sites and CGM sites, unless we're in a situation where a site needs to be changed immediately. It works great, and makes the site and sensor changes stress-free. My son is at the point where he's not too fussed if we have to do a site change without it, but we still use it for routine site and sensor changes, because he prefers it that way.

Hope this helps!

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

My son isn't skinny so no help there!

We always use emla unless it is a failed set and we have to change it right away. I never not used emla for the sensors though. If one of them drops off I just put on the emla and wait an hour.

The Dex seems easily approved by kids - lots of kids on it. The sensor is waterproof - you just want to tape it down well - probably use extra tape for swimming and the like. Receiver is NOT waterproof!

He has the Dex sensor on the back of the arm and the infusion set (Rapid D steel needle set) on his abdomen.

The G4 is fantastic - love it!

4. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Our son is 3 and skinny. We use arms for the Dexcom. No problems with insurance approval with Dex and lots of kiddos using it.

We also pump with OmniPod, so we use thighs, hip, butt for the pod.

5. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Jared uses arms tummy flanks and lower back for pump sites and arms or tummy for cgm sites. He is still pretty small due to growth hormone deficiency. No problems getting Dexcom approved. Never have used emela, for pods, pump sites or cgm sites. He was pretty thin when we started podding still plenty of room for pods then.

6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Our 6 year old skinny and so we use the stomach area for the pump and his butt for the CGM. We use Medtronic for everything since that is what our insurance covered.
    We use the Mio sets for his pump which is really tiny and works great, I love that is all in one for insertion and don't need a seperate tool like I do for the CGM
    I will say my son prefers the pump insertion over the CGM b/c that needle is larger and longer but he takes it like a champ

As for your son picking on things - we thought our son would do that too and he did at first but after having the sites changed more than once a day he left it alone. We use the IV3000 tape and cover the CGM site completely - yet it is waterproof to an extent - we don't let him soak in the tub each day b/c the tape will come off but on the days it is to be changed he gets to play in the tub longer. I cut the IV3000 to put around the pump site to help keep it on and he disconnects from the site for showers.