- advertisement -

Pizzaaagh

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gerry speirs, Mar 4, 2011.

1. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

So my 3rd attempt to control pizza failed miserably:( Miranda had 2 slice of pepp/cheese at 5.45, about half of a 6inch round pizza. This time i bolused her about 10mins into eating with a combo bolus of 2 units total, 45/55 the remainder over 5 hours.

5.30 @ 87

7.10 @ 273

8.15 @ 354

9.25 @ 386 with 1 hour left approx and 1.75 delivered.

This is where I decided to end the experiment and I gave her a manual shot so hopefully she'll be back down soon......

I was thinking how funny it is that most of us try to conquer pizza when its really not an everyday item, at least not in my house maybe once in a blue moon so why do we agonize over something thats kinda like a treat. Can you imagine if pizza had to be eaten everyday:eek:

2. joan

joan Approved members

There has been lots of talk about pizza on the forum but something that I tried to do was plan pizza for days my son was very active. That was also a night that we went out after dinner for a bike ride or something. I always find exercise helps with the fat spike.

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Fred could live on pizza, I guess I havent seen spikes from it. But how you said Pizzaaaaghh really cracked me up!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

From the numbers you posted, you didn't give her enough insulin "up front." (I'd say not even close.) Next time, I'd try a 65/35 split and see what happens.

Also keep in mind that some portion of the fat itself acts to raise BG. So some people have to dose for MORE than 100% of the carbs for high-fat foods. We, for instance do at 75/50 split, so end up dosing for 125% of the carbs. I want to say that there are posters on here who have to dose for 200% of the carbs!

Keep at it. Keep records so that you know what happened last time, and can tweak from there. :)

ETA: I know someone is going to jump in with their theory that a rebound happened, but in my opinion, that is highly unlikely. It was the fact that she was underdosed up front, and then the fat kicked in. Next time, test at an hour post-eating to rule that out, though.

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

Oh my gosh, pizza!

Pizza is the cause of many headaches, but it's so tasty...

It doesn't help that in college they practically feed it to all the students at every opportunity and it's one of the few food places that stays open late. Come to our event! Free pizza! Come see a movie! Free pizza! Study party! Free pizza! Stayed up too late and forgot about dinner because of a huge exam. Eat pizza. :p

It's better to experiment now and work out a general system before it becomes one of the major food groups (pizza, soda, ramen, vending machine food).

I've found that pizza that is made at home tends to not mess with me as much as the ones from the freezer or the delivery / takeout. This may be because I know exactly how many carbs I'm eating rather than a guess, and maybe because I try to not have a big greasy mess. Tortilla shells make wonderful make-shift crust. :)

6. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

I always run a temp basal for about 5 hour.. his basal is .80 an hour and I run 1.15 an hour for 5 hours. But have found he needs it for about 8 hours. I just hate to run a temp basal when he is sleeping..BUT everytime we check him at 2 or 3 am he is high. We still dose for the pizza upfront too.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yep, I agree.. the ideal dual/combo bolus gives enough insulin to prevent a spike, but more importantly it delays the delivery of "the rest" of the insulin to prevent a low happening before the food is fully digested. With something like Pizza, containing so much fat, going low before going high later is a real possibility. Without seeing a return to normal BG here, I would suspect that the entire bolus was not enough, or you simply needed more of the insulin up front.

I usually bolus 60/40 for pizza, and I bolus about 20% more than what the carb count "should" be it usually works reasonably well. I don't always prevent a spike unto the 200 range, but it's really rare to see anything much higher than that. I also avoid pizza with red (tomato) sauce since it contains a lot of sugar, which pretty much assures me a higher spike.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm sorry. Pizza we don't have trouble with, cereal is our enemy LOL! Ashleigh loves both. Have you tried giving the insulin after she eats the pizza? That seems to work for us.

9. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I too think she needs more up front. We dose extra for pizza too, how much depends on the protein and fat content.

Keep at it!