advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pizza is just not worth it...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Deacon, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I tried again to battle the pizza highs last night and it did not work. He was fine for so long and then bam, the highs came on. But I just tested him and the final correction at 5:30 worked and he is now 85 after being above 300 all night. He was high even after +50% temp basal throughout the night. I really think that I need to stick to other easy meals when I do not feel like cooking. Pizza is not worth the lack of sleep.

--Sara

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

The only way we have luck with pizza is to do an extended bolus on the pump. Are you MDI? We do a 50/50 or 40/60. Actually now she often ends up being low after:) But I know a lot of people who just save pizza for very special occasions because of this. . .

3. Mom2Deacon

I did do an extended bolus and then the highs came anyway :(

--Sara

4. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

With a 14 year old and a 12 year old we had to make pizza work. When Danny was on the pump we would do an extended bolus - I don't remember how much extra we gave him it was 4 years ago.

Now we do (MDI) a 75% bolus (we call it that instead of a shot - habit) followed up by 50% an hour to hour and a half later for a dose of 125%.

Does your endo have any suggestions?

I wouldn't give up I would keep trying. Pizza makes its way into daily life the older the kids get, pizza parties at school, birthdays, after sports games, breakfast:D

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Don't give up on pizza just yet. Just think of all the fun you'll be missing, trying to figure out how much for how long.:D

Seriously, it's trial and error. A combo 40/60 for 5 or 6 hours or more or a 30/70. You just have to see what works for you.

You now know for how long pizza affects him, so you have a starting point.

For some people, pizza takes hours and hours to digest. For others, you can just bolus everything upfront and it works.

Good luck!:)

6. joan

joan Approved members

Pizza is tough. We love pizza too much to give up. I have found that having pizza on the nights that my son has had a physically active day helps counteract the lows he would get during the night from all the exercise. We don't have a certain formula that we use but try to figure in the activity with the insulin dose. What I have also found that may help with the delayed spikes in bs is a walk around the block, bike ride or some sort of physical activity after dinner.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've given up on extended boluses. They just don't work for us with slowly digesting food. Since those are the times when I'd use NPH, now what I do is run multiple temp basals. That means I have to keep increasing them every hour or so. It sucks, but it's the only way I can think of to mimic what the NPH or Regular used to do.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Pizza with a thin crust is easier. With the normal crust at a pizza place I do a combo 50-50 over 2 or 2 1/2 hours. The more they eat they longer I make the wave.
    We hardly eat pizza out. I have one of those wheat mills and ground my own flour for the pizza crust. Makes a world of difference. I guess all that fiber. I still do a 50-50 over 2 hours but they never spike , not even during the night.
    They each eat two of my pieces(kind of a thick normal crust) at 27 carbs each.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The problem is that pizza is just EVERYWHERE. You almost have to figure it out so that you can teach Deacon how to deal with it when he's a teenager.

When I'm trying to figure out a problem food, the first thing I do is to get the "upfront" part right. If Jack is in a decent range at 2 & 3 hours, I know the upfront amount is good. Then I start looking at the extended dose. How long was Deacon's blood sugar good for last night? And then how long did it continue to rise after the rise began? That will help you figure out whether you need to increase the extended dose, or even give an entirely seperate bolus somewhere into the night.

10. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

This sounds like a perfect solution to the problem.

The hard work is pretty much over if you know how long he stayed high for afterwards.
    Was he inrange prior to eating the pizza?

With Jordan, we do a combo bolus, and sometimes (not always, probably depends on his activity) but sometimes we do an additional boulus, but not very often. I wouldn't give up on pizza, because I tell you, as a teen - Jordan rarely goes more than a couple days without eating some form of it! (pizza pizza rolls, bagel bites, etc)

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I had pizza last night and forgot to do my 7 hour extended bolus, went to bed with a 5.1 mmol/dl, woke(5 hous later) with a 12.2 mmol/dl, no biggie, we so seldom eat pizza, I forget to do more then my usual(for most foods) 45 minute extended bolus.

12. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

The best time for my son to eat pizza is on gym day. Lunch at 12:30, 1 piece of dominos pizza, 25 carbs, then gym class at 2:00 for an hour. No lows from gym and no highs from the pizza.

Only problem, when gym is cancelled and he still eats the pizza, then he is high by 3:00.

So maybe some extra activity after eating pizza will help.

13. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we have him eat some fruit for dessert and give him insulin for that and pizza right before he eats the fruit. He's on mdi and it works for us (knock on wood lol). We eat a lot of pizza when dh is offshore and I'm too tired to get off the couch with the baby!

14. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

no idea why but the only way we can get pizza to work is with a glass of milk
    30g bolus 20min before eating and then remainder after eating and extended for 2-4 hours depending on person

15. Mom2Deacon

Deacon will go high 6 hours after he eats the pizza and those highs will last 7 hours. He can go up to the high 300's and low 400's from pizza. I can't seem to get a temp basal right to combat them. I had it up +50% with no luck.

--Sara

16. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Keep going! 60% seemed to make a big difference. Also note at small basals, an additional 10% may be under the threshold of what the pump can deliver.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, he just needs more insulin. ;)

If he is fine until hour 6, you have a couple of choices, you can either increase the temp basal starting around hour 4 (I'd probably try +75%, since he is going so high still at +50%) or you could give another bolus around hour 5. I'd lean toward increasing the temp basal first, because you can always cancel that if it proves to be too much, whereas once the bolus is in, it's in.

One thing that I have learned is that once they start rising and get past a certain point, it's all over and you basically have to ride it out.

18. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We had very similar issues with Carson and pizza.

Here's what we do. It's not perfect, but it's working pretty well. We have to bolus for 200% of the carbs. Then we do 30% up front and 70 percent over 8 hours. For example if he eats 100 grams, we put 200 grams into the pump. It will then give him 30% (60 grams worth) up front and the remaining 70% (140 grams worth) over 8 hours. The fat and protein in pizza just kills those blood sugars and it lasts for a good 8-12 hours.

Good luck!

19. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

:eek: I haven't done pizza on the pump yet. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all those numbers. I hope we get it figured out because pizza is a staple in the house. Luckily she only eats two pieces, so that might help. maybe...:eek:

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Have you tried giving insulin AFTER he eats? I use a slice the size of my hand as 30 grams...My hands are small for a tall girl:)