- advertisement -

Pizza-Hard to Bolus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Nov 7, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I took Kelton to Pizza Hut for the all-you-can-stuff-in-your-face buffet. We guestimated the carbs for everything, I had him take 3/4 of his bolus with Novolog and the other 1/4 with Regular..

Two hours later Kelton was 149!! :D

I was not so lucky even though I did the same type of bolus :( Pizza is not my friend and I will be avoiding it like the plague for now on.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Isn't it funny how YDMV?;)

Do you think hormones play a role? Seriously...who knows!

3. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I will see a huge spike in my daughter about 4-6 hours after eating pizza.. I hate when she eats the stuff.. Not because it isn't great and tasty just because of the spike she gets way hours later..

Good luck.. Good job guestimating..

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Tracy beat me to it but I was just going to say congrats but keep an eye out 4-8 hours after eating pizza, pasta, etc. Sometimes you will see a big spike that long after eating. Good luck :)

5. KeltonsMom

I will watch Kelton's numbers past the 3-6 hours after and see what happens..

I feel like I ate a rock and may go take a nap right after I drink my huge glass of iced tea..

I am just happy that Kelton's two hour after number was closer to normal than it would usually be (300 on up)..

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Great job guestimating, and great number!

I must be lucky, I don't seem to have any problems with Pizza(then again, I only eat thin crust:confused:). Now pasta...that is a whole 'nother story...I avoid it as well;)

7. KeltonsMom

Pasta is bad for me but not for Kelton..Kelton can eat a candy bar and be fine, I cannot..Go figure...:rolleyes:

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

figures, males can eat whatever they want!!

Do you have a Papa Murphy's near you? Their thin crust is super thin. Its one of those take and bake places and personally I think it is one of the best pizzas out there---pretty cheap too.

Better go as I'm making myself hungry!

9. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Julia and her dad both differ in what works for each of them. I would suggest that if you like pizza.... and don't really want to give it up.... that you find what type of bolus does work for you with pizza. It's all trial and error, babe, and you'll find that a lot of the things you have figured out for Kelton, wont be the same for you.

10. KeltonsMom

Kelton has stayed in the target range and his number 4 hours after was 110..

I am going to experiment with this again and see if it would help if I pre-bolus pizza..There has to be a way for me to be able to eat it..