- advertisement -

PingPonging....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Mar 6, 2010.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

I made a comment on Charolette`s mom`s page about this but I didn`t want to highjack it so made this thread. JJs numbers are all over the place from 18 to 2.5 and always low to high to low again. I read on her thread that consistent lows could be a stomach bug or a growth spurt....any idea on the highs to lows to highs though. Is his liver kicking into aid with the crazy lows:confused:

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

could be a number of things.. 1, I'd look at corrections, see if his correction factor is off, and look at what you are feeding to correct the lows.. if the correction factor is off, causing a low, the feeding to much for a correction, causing another high.. you'd get an awful yoyo effect. 2, its possible the insulin is going back.. BUT I have only see highs, coming down a bit, and then heading high again, not usually a low in there.. 3, if its happening after a meal bolus, look at his ratio..

my gut says correction factor (if its happening around correction) and senario #1.

3. Toni

Toni Banned

How are his overnight numbers? If you can pinpoint a good basal for nights and days (evenings I just assume they need more, but not true for everyone), then it's the insulin at mealtimes or correction factor. You can test the correction factor pretty easily if you have to give a correction say, around midnight, because there is no food digesting. This is assuming your basals are not way off. So if you can get a good feel for the overnight basal, and you correct the high 11, 12 midnight, you'll see if the correction factor is working. P.S. Different correction factors night and day for DN and probably a lot of kids, but you still can get a good idea. And, even now, I ask endo to double-check her correction factor at most visits.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had a rough day like this on Thursday.. 14.9 to 2.6 to 15.6 in the space of 3 hours. I think for me it's mostly hormonal and stress related, but has the weather changed where you are? Sometimes warmer weather makes children get lower or higher..

5. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

YES....totally unseasonably warm here the last 2 days. Plus daddy was gone so maybe he sensed something was up....good to know. Thinking back, when I was gone overnight to deliver Kai and then also when Kai went into the hospital...his numbers were crazy like that too. Wow....sorryt to hear about your yoyo numbers....hope you are feeling ok...