- advertisement -

Ping users . . . He doesn't get it, and I am tired of the fights!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by fdlafon, Jan 12, 2010.

1. joan

joan Approved members

Reading your post I felt like I had deja-vu. My 16 year old who know everything, eats constantly and doesn't need to check his bs because he "knows" he is ok drives us crazy. Add insulin resistance to that and I can only say I know where you are coming from. These are suppose to be the hardest years and I hope they are. We have our good days too, but the diabetes is tough.

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'm sure there's a way to do it as Nancy pointed out. You have just to know when to use IOB and when not to, and how to get the pump to do what you want. Perils of eating frequently, but well worth it!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You don't ever need to use the Normal. Just skip the Add BG step. That way, you can still have the pump calculate the dose based on the carb ratio alone. The only time we ever use normal is when we get a cancelled bolus mid-bolus and need to finish it, or when we are replacing basal for a disconnected pump.

You can't use ezBG if you are dosing for carbs. There is no where to enter the carb amount. You use ezBG if you are dosing for a correction-only. Otherwise, ezCarb is what allows you to put in the carbs and calculate the dose.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I realized that after I posted and looked at ezcarb closer.:) My Jordan doesn't do it that way because with a ratio of 1:10, the fastest, least amount of button pushing is the normal bolus if she's recently bolused.

5. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

This is what we do. It will show you what the IOB is. But if you skip the "add bg" part, it won't subtract IOB in the amount it suggests.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Animas subtracts a prior carb bolus recently given when it calculates IOB. Minimed will only subtract for carbs if her blood sugar is below her target blood sugar at the time of the new bolus. So an Animas pump may very well tell him to give 0 units of insulin if he boluses one hour after a recent bolus. A Minimed pump will allow you to bolus the full amount for the icecream as long as his BS is not under target. I liked this feature when she was 8. Now that she is older the Minimed pumps seems to work better for carb boluses. Though we still feed IOB at the two hour mark an awful lot... This may be part of the problem. We still calculate how many carbs she will need to cover IOB at home and do all the D care at home. She is younger than your DS, though. She does know how to do it if she has to. It seems to be a bit of a chore for her, though, and she does not want to think about it if we are home.....she does not want to be bothered.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

This is not true. Animas will only subtract IOB if the BG entered is below range. Animas will only account for IOB in the dose when the BG is high. When the BG is in range, it will SHOW the IOB but the suggested dose will be the complete carb dose - regardless of whether the person is 1 point above target or 30 points above target.

8. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Maybe you could consider just bolusing by units which is what we do. None of the automatic features are set up. She uses 1:10 so the math is super easy. No worrying about overriding or not.

9. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

I am thinking, "Wow. That sounds like something my 14 yo son would say." Then I read that your son is 15. I am biting my lip often these days so as not to engage in arguements with him. Over everything! But with this, I agree with all others, it is something you can't ignore. If he doesn't see the seriousness of it, he'll have to let you handle more.

10. skimom

skimom Approved members

I think the pump is a privelege that we are able to give our kids - with that privelege comes responsibility - if he can't handle it, either you take it over or maybe he needs to lose the privelege until he can show more responsibility....Consider taking him off the pump for a while and switching back to MDI - it makes them really think about what they are doing, you remove the IOB issue as that is not " available" and they get a whole new appreciation for what the pump does for them - When my son's pump died last summer, he did MDI for a month while we shopped around for a new pump - made a huge difference in how he handled his D once he got the new pump...just a thought

11. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Its frusterating being a teen..

Now with that being said.. WITH Animas.. It will ONLY subtract insulin needed IF you have put a blood sugar in... AND there is IOB.. SO Fix around it is not to put blood sugar unless you do want to correct for it... SO when you do the Carbs, and go straight to show results,. then you will have no issue at all.... What we do to make it simple for US, charlize and school.. So we know who is doing what is we do not put the blood sugars in at all unless it is over her target. We dont use the pump to subtract insulin needed becuase it never works for charlize...

12. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Aside from the IOB issue...I would NOT try to reason with a teenager with a high blood glucose level!

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

ROFL! Amen sister.

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I didn't read every post so maybe someone covered this, but here goes: Your approach is at odds with your intention. what I mean is if your goal is to get him to do something, you have to make him WANT to do it, and that won't happen if you are scolding him. I'll give it to you, you have every right to feel like you're speaking to a brick wall, but if you do that brick wall will get up and walk away.

What if instead you acted like screwing up is just one of those things that happen and nobody is in trouble you just have to bolus every time you eat? What if you kept helping him, without him being in trouble or yelling at him? Would he then ask for help more often? Would he eventaully say, "Hey why does this keep happening?" so you can say, "Oh it's because it doesn't calculate iob that way--some pumps do, like minimed, but this one you have to test first. No biggy."

You think what you want is for ds to know how serious this is, but that's not the case. What you want is for ds to know how to care for himself and to WANT to do it.

I fall short everyday, believe me, but please think about about how he probably feels. Stupid, in trouble, incompetant, and like you think he's an idiot. None of these things are true. so the next time his numbers are off, just fix it. Explain casually why. And let HIM ask YOU for more info, instead of trying to cram it down his throat.

Please note--this is in know way a criticism b/c my kids drive me nuts, D is hard, and teens are harder, so if you aren't frustrated then there's something wrong with you ;) I am a habitual nagger myself--too bad it never works.:rolleyes:

15. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Your not a dumb mom your a caring mom.
    I am sooooooooooo not looking forward to those days when Aaron is a teenager with T1. I know its hard on you and emotionally probally hard on him too knowing mom is worried.
    What we do is if Aaron eats a snack like he is always always asking for (is it just boys????) If it calls for 0 i give 0 but i do check him like in 10-15 minutes to see if he is going up then i bolus for what he is.

16. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

You hit it right on the nose!!!
    btw - I AM A HABITUAL NAGGER!!!!

We did get this delimma figured out. It was his "human error" and we are better for it now I suppose.

17. Toni

Toni Banned

Haven't had occasion to use the Ping but 2020 would certainly subtract IOB from a carb bolus two hours after eating if BS was 150. It did show the complete carb dose but would suggest the reduced dose. He could just bolus the carb dose as he would still have to dial it in. Glad to see they have fixed this on the Ping