- advertisement -

Ping In Canada?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emma'sDad, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

After seeing so many people (and a cute video) switching/upgrading to the Ping, I got very curious. After being slapped in the face with another "only available in the States." (Omnipod was the first one), I just emailed Animas Canada to ask them if it will ever be available here. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing of these new technologies in pumps not being available here. I'll let you guys know if I get a response.

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Join the club!

Here in NZ we are abit behind. I contacted Omnipod regarding future availability in NZ and got a big fat NO! for now.
    So I am not even going to ask about the Ping!
    By the time that technology gets here, Tyler will be an adult and it will be so out of date that there will be no support for it!!

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

that just aint right. You should have access to the same things as the rest. Unless it has something to do with the way you do your numbers and the way the US does the numbers. I would think a softwear program could easily fix it.

maybe you need a CWD intervention... just how many can you get to harrass animas about this issue:D

4. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Curious to see what they say........

5. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Its frustrating. We only just got the animas 2020 in New Zealand.

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Personally Tim, I'd try getting the animas 2020 now. Than do the upgrade. I had the 2020 and I loved it to death! My pancreas is just to well confused to listen to my brain going " I want to pump stop messing this up"
    I was annoyed to about the omni pod and the I-port as well and the Ultra mini didn't come out IN TILL way after in canada!

7. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

We have the Animas 2020, Cozmo 1800 and MM 522/722 and CGMS in Australia, so I think we're doing ok! I think we'll get the Ping soon enough. We have slightly less meters than in the US, or some with just different names.

I've accepted that we don't always get the latest technology the US has. We have different channels the companies have to go through, get approval and then distribute. OmniPod is a whole new company, they'd have to set up offices and such in other countries if they wanted to release things there. I don't think it'd be that easy!

8. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

I'll be interested to hear as well... As soon as I heard people talking about it, I thought it sounded wonderful and figured we will be forever getting it here...

9. Mermaid

Mermaid Approved members

Availability depends on two things. First, the requirements for approval are different in different countries and second, the market. If a company doesn't have the market to make money then they are less likely to fork over money to persue approval. Sometimes they do it to be politically correct, for example, with certain formulations of AIDS drugs it has happened.

10. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Tim
    I called Animas Canada, when the Ping first came out, because we had only had his 2020 for less then a month, and I was told that it is not coming to Canada, From what I was told it is not Animas but CFDA that stops most of the technology coming in to Canada. They said there is higher standards that have to be met in order for them to be brought to canada.

So I would write them and complain, Animas and my Animas Rep, both told me they would love to see the Ping and other pumps coming into Canada because it would give more choices.

11. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Oh I forgot to add, I was told by my endo, a lot of times, the way the US insurance and health care systems work, it makes both the insurance companys and the State more money to have the newest and latest products. The FDA in the US have high standards, just not as strict as Canada. She feels it is better that we get things slower, they are usually well tested and bugs worked out before we get them.

12. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

You would think that everyone would have the opportunity to have all the latest technologies as there are children and others all around the world dealing with this disease.. I hope that soon you will be able to get a pump in Canada tha you like and will work wonderfully for your child. .

13. Mody_Jess_Pony

When I first went looking for a pump our local hospital staff only knew about the accu-check spirit but where willing to facilitate my choice. Well not really but my mom can make a good case when she's not happy.
    IT seems with the lack of new pumps we suffer information wise as well.

14. Emma'sDad

I don't know where you are at, but the lady at the Moncton Hospital, and Emma's doctor are quite knowlegable on what is going on and different technologies not available. Emma's doctor is also VERY open minded when it comes to listening to us about what we think is best for Emma and if we have information about "new" products. They're both awesome!

15. Mody_Jess_Pony

The Hospital is not used to cater to Type 1 needs here locally. My diabetes being an odditity doesn't help. My DOCTER was great the local D clinic not-so :)
    I really should try and get in with Mokashi in Halifax or the endos up there.
    However back on the pump issue Animas email you back Tim?

16. Emma'sDad

That's funny you should mention that. I just came back to say: "We'll answer you within 24 hours" my butt!!! :p

17. brad

brad Approved members

Tim,

I've chatted with a number of people on this issue. We LOVE our 2020 for Cadence but I'm sure I'm going to fall and break something chasing Cadence around with the pump in one hand trying to keep the tubing slack. :)

Animas customer service does not have any information on upcoming products, the CSR's there when I phoned had not even heard of the Ping. They are truly just informed of current offerings. However, a little higher up the food chain has told me that the Ping is stuck in Canada's approval system and they are expecting it sometime early next year. Everyone is aware of how rumors go so take this for what it's worth, but they are expecting to release the ping soon up here.

Now, another question that I posed which I more or less knew would be rhetorical was ow the timing of the Ping would impact the potential release of the Dexcom-Animas joint product that was purported to be released in mid-2009...seems a bit close to for two product launches in the insulin pump world. We shall see.

b.

18. Carmen

Carmen Approved members

How about Omnipod? Does anyone here know if we should expect to have it soon in Canada?

19. brad

brad Approved members

From what I've been told, they have no plans as yet (they do have the intention though) to release in Canada.

b.

20. Emma'sDad

I'd rather they wait and release Omnipod 2.0 in Canada where the device is not as big and you don't throw away 4 watch batteries every 3 days. Can't be good for the environment.

[​IMG]