- advertisement -

Pinch me! No insulin needed except Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by forHisglory, Jan 31, 2015.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

This exactly. I got blasted on another forum for saying that the drama was too much and this wasnt how we managed Hana's type 1. We aren't angst filled. There's no drama. Actually, type 1 is pretty matter of fact in our lives. I got accused of having my head in the sand, not being diligent, doing a disservice to my daughter because she doesn't understand how serious her disease is. All of these are the furthest from the truth. But I guess it just made these other parents feel better about letting type 1 control their lives to make me look like a negligent parent. If having diabetes supplies spread all over your kitchen counter makes you a better mother then me, more power to you.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Agreed. I think the film is overly dramatic and overly negative - in short, I think it is pathetic.

The only relationship it bears to our family's life is that we use some of the same equipment and insulin. I cringe at the thought of putting one's child through filming that sort of fiasco of a "documentary", or of the message one would be be giving their child when he or she watched the finished product.

We live in the real world. We embrace life. :) Our happiness is not measured by how the D management is going at a particular time or on a particular day. D management is something that needs to be done, part of the routine. But it is happening in the background, which is where it belongs.

This is what I was trying to convey in an earlier post. The more invested we become with cheering on each "good" number and bemoaning each "bad" number, the more we become fixated on the level of remission or daily insulin needs - the more the diabetes moves into the foreground. At that point you have the tail wagging the dog. We don't live our lives to manage the diabetes, we manage the diabetes so that my daughter can live her life and be the happiest and best person she can be.

All that having been said, I know from personal experience how easy it is to slip into the cheerleading/mourning mode. But we need to see ourselves not as cheerleaders or mourners (or seekers of divine intervention), we need to see ourselves and act more like medical professionals - dealing with whatever the D throws at us in a matter-of-fact and efficient manner. :cwds:

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I think we all need to remember those days when our kids were first diagnosed. Honeymoon or not, medical professional or not, it's still a parent in shock, wishing that this hadn't happened to their child. She has no idea what she doesn't know, and that may be a good thing. I agree with Nancy though, can't imagine a nurse in an endo practice not knowing about the liver and glucose release!

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

No matter how you look at it getting a break from diabetes is a blessing we all wish our children could have every now and then. I wish you a long one!

My wife and I watched Midnight, three and six. It is deliberately dark and depressing. Did anyone else notice how the sound track was manipulated every time the alarm went off to startle and annoy you. It's a very poor role model especially for new diagnoses. Diabetes is something you live with not wait around to die from. If you haven't seen it don't bother, it sucks. My daughter is 9 years old, has the world by the tail and can do anything she puts her mind to diabetic or not.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't know, I have 2 kiddos with T1D (not diabetic- yes that is my pet peeve) and when we have a tummy issue that slows/negates digestion of carbs I just "guess". Usually have a day or two of bad lows as I "figure" it out then " well "I would rather her run high at this point ( replenish the LIVER). So getting a "break" is not so easy, but will happen to everyone unless they live in a sterile bubble.

Hell I take that back, because a growth spurt that has stopped/ an activety that has stopped can cause the unexpected lower insulin need we are all talking about too.

My point is, when this happens the first few days are anything but a break, they are, nerve wracking, "what the hell is going on.??" and how long wil this last?