- advertisement -

Piercings and D

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Brandi's mom, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I did a search but didnt find anything specific to my question.

Brandi has been BEGGING for a piercing. First she asked for her Belly button, my answer H*ll NO!

Then she asked for her nose...not really feeling that either.

And she's been wanting her ear cartilege pierced since she was about 12 and I had been telling her no.

But I am thinking of giving in to the cartilege.

Anyone have any experience with body piercings and D?

2. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

My daughter has had her cartilidge (sp?) in her ear pierced with no problems at all. Its really cute and healed quickly with very little pain and absolutely no infection at all.

She also got her bellybutton and nose done but those 2 were with alot of problems. She no longer has either of those. They both got very infected even though she cleaned them each day and they hurt badly with the infection. She had them both done the same day and 8 months later, neither had turned out as she thought. They both kept getting infected and nasty looking so she took them out and is glad she did (me too!).

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I think it depends on your child. My dd had regular ear piercings and they were very problematic for an entire year. They didn't seal up for at least that long . . . ugh. But she tends to have skin issues and sensitivities anyway, so I am not sure it has anything to do with D.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Fort a well controlled diabetic the risks are minimal... I wouldn't worry much, just make sure you have it done professionally (NOT at somewhere like Claire's) and follow all after care instructions.

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I would think it's the same as tattoos and D-they heal up better when numbers are in range. a relative got her cartilage pierced and she isn't in the best health (doesn't have diabetes) and it's taking forever to heal.

6. WiscoJim

WiscoJim Approved members

I have a couple tattoos and had my lip pierced in high school. If your numbers are in range and consistent there should be no issue at all.

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex got his ear pierced :rolleyes: with no issues. I think he even had it done at Claires or somewhere similar.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Claires is fine for ear piercings, but as someone already said,other body parts should be done by a professional. Usually tattoo shops have a person who specializes in body piercings. People at Claires aren't trained for that.

9. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I agree with Mama Bear. DS has is ears pierced, had his lip pierced and tattoos on this chest. He had them done by a well known tattoo professional and has had no issues.
    P.S. DS is 21 and I TRIED to talk him out of but he is 21.

10. Aimee729

Aimee729 Approved members

Second Piercing

D's 2nd ear piercing done at Claires with no issues. She wants her cartilage done- but informed me (Mom) :rolleyes: that cartilage piercing should be done by a professional at a piercing/tatoo place.

11. MamaBear

Pericings on other body parts require different tools than what are used for ears. Folks at Claires are only trained to use the ear peircing gun.

12. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi told me that she really wants the "look" of the cartilege piercing and woudl settle for an ear cuff with a chain attached that linked to her regular ear piercing.

13. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

My dd can't do piercings, her skin reacts and gets inflamed and won't heal.

Her a1c is 6.2

14. Tiana

Tiana Approved members

I have never allowed piercings or tattoos in the past. Thankfully, my daughter didn't insist. However, since being away at college she is wavering. She also tends to have skin issues. I really worry about being away from home and no one at the college might have expertise in the management of diabetes. I don't maybe I'm just a worried mom.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What does "expertise in diabetes" have to do with piercings or tattoos??

16. MamaBear

And why the hyperlink?

17. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Our pediatrician will pierce ears, but refused to pierce my daughter's cartilege saying it was way too risky and she has seen kids with parts of the ear missing that did not heal properly. She ended up with a second earlobe piercing, but once sports started up again and the earrings had to come out, she never put them back in, so they have closed up.
    This year she decided on the belly-button piercing. We went to a tattoo parlour for it and they recommended "Wound Wash" saline rinse for the aftercare. The kid was meticulous with the care and has had no issues with the piercing. I insisted on sterling silver jewellry as her skin is sensitive.

18. doxiemom

doxiemom Approved members

a diabetic that i worked with had the cartiledge done and her doctor wanted to choke her for not clearing with him first. it got terribly infected and she can never wear earrings in it again.
    i'd check with endo first....ours told our daughter no because of her crazy swings in numbers.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

How old was this "diabetic"? I think it is silly to expect a child with diabetes who wants to get their ears pierced to clear it with their endo first. And I would seriously question an endo who told me that my child couldn't get her ears pierced because her bg was not in range. I think if a child with diabetes gets their ears pierced and they follow good hygiene with respect to the piercing, they should be fine. The same as if they get a cut or a scrape or any other type of wound. It is just common sense. This sounds like the same "logic" people use who say that children with diabetes should not go barefoot in the summertime. Silliness.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  20. swellman

swellman Approved members

I agree ... this is nonsense. A cut is a cut and wound is a wound ... ears falling off and stuff ... nonsense.