- advertisement -

picked a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Alley's mom, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Alley's mom

Alley's mom Approved members

We finally chose a pump. We are going to go with the Cozmore.
    I liked the different alarms and reminders it has, which will come in handy with Allison starting Kindergarden this year. I am a little excited, yet nervous, after reading some of the threads on here and the rough starts people have the first few weeks. Hope I made the right choice. They said we should have it in 3-4 weeks and then can start our traing process.
    keep you posted.
    Next on our agenda....... tackling the SCHOOL ISSUE. Allison is the FIRST D child in this school? HUH?:eek:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie loves her Cozmo! :D Now, make sure you see and understand different sample infusion sets. We really like the inset but just make sure you have options;)

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Good luck with your pump start. It may be a rocky start but that has more to do with a learning curve than the actual pump. Sam has been on the cozmo since he was 4 and it was the best choice we have ever made.

shannon

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Woo hoo! Congrats! We heart the cozmo. :D The pump start may be rocky just because it is a change, but as Shannon said it won't be because of the pump you chose.

5. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

Congrats on your choice!! My DD loves her Cosmo and you will find that the alarms can be helpful as long as you only use the fewest possible.

We did have alot of chirping going on and it started to be ignored. Then we just set certain ones for different situations. At school I like her to check at 9am, before lunch, at 1:30pm and at 4pm. That has always worked great at school no matter if there was a test or reading time, she got to test right in the classroom.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

TRACY

6. Alley's mom

Alley's mom Approved members

Thanks for all the incouragment. Any suggestions on getting a 5 year old to get the infusion set on, she doesn't like needles on her stomach. Also, any good web suggestions for pump fanny packs?

7. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

My DD is 10 so not much advice here. We so use the cleo sets and you cannot see the needle. It does however make a moderately loud click when it inserts so we call it a clicker. My DD never even flinches once she got used to the sound.

It may seem radical, but show her by putting one on yourself first. Go to Groovy Patches and get some fun stickers to decorate the site too.

I hope your DD has a smooth start, PM me if you need anything!!

TRACY

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Great choice! (any of them are great) I know after the first couple of rocky weeks, you will love pumping! Have you scheduled your classes yet, sometimes there is quite a waiting list!

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

We love our Cozmo. My son's favorite part is that he can name it different things--it is currently Speedracer. :D The alarms are invaluable at school. Some teachers seem to operate in their own time zone and some bg checks seem to be forgotten during class time, so now they know that ds7 goes to the nurse when his pump tells him to go. Works like a charm!

10. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Congrats on the choice of a pump - that is the hard part! ;) Good luck with the start.

Regarding school - being the first one isn't always a bad thing - we were the first and I got to "set the mark" for how it worked for us without being compared to someone else!!:)

Oh - and check out the new spibelts - they now have packs for kids - my Son loves his - we also liked the packs from Angelbear because they fit close to the skin and didn't flop.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Congrats on making a choice.. I know that was a hard one for us.. I'm sure you won't be dissappointment.. I've never heard anyone say they hate the pump they chose and should have chosen such and such.. People switch, when its time for a new one, but I've never heard anyone say it was because they couldn't stand the other pump.. but rather they wanted to try the features of a different pump..

get scheduled now for pump training, it usually takes a bit before you can get in.. you might be surprised and get the pump earlier than 3-4weeks, they're usually pretty quick about it:)

12. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Congratulations!

We are new to pumping (since 7/8/08), but we are loving it so far. It is challenging, but so worth it. Caitie is only 2 and a grazer when it comes to eating. So I love the fact that I can allow her to be more flexible and not have to enforce a rigid feeding schedule on her.

Our biggest hurdle now is learning what alarms we need and what we can do without.

Best wishes to you all.

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Congratulations on choosing your pump. I'm sure your pump start will be fine. If not you have all the pumpers here for support.:D