- advertisement -

Physics**UGHHHHH**

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by dana.amp, Nov 18, 2009.

1. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

I'm having so much trouble with physics. I can't pass to save my life. All year I have been aanywhere from 49 to 69. I'm in tutoring and still isn't really helping. I really don't want to have to retake this class again. I have never failed a class in my life. This is killing me:(

2. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Physics is definetly hard for a lot of people to get their head around...I know it took me a while, at least, and there are still some topics that kind of go over my head. :rolleyes: Does your school require physics for graduation? I know at our school you have to pass biology, and EITHER chemistry or physics. If thats the case at your school, you could try chem, I think it's a lot easier to understand, with less math. It's my favorite science, personally. :cwds: Anyway, good luck, I hope you start doing better!

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Physics is hard, do you need help with any part in particular??

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I didn't have to have physics to graduate, although I attempted to try it...I was homeschooling and my mother hadn't had to do it in HS, so I was on my own. I quit about a quarter of the way through.

5. dana.amp

I'm on college prep classes so I have to have all four science, physical, biology, physics, and chemistry to graduate and same four math. I have to have 4 maths and 4 historys and 4 englishes in order to graduate next year:(

6. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

I'm taking a physics class where my teacher's motto is "You'll never get a question on a college test completely right, so I'm going to make your tests so hard that you have to practice getting partial credit." He dangled a full water bottle by a string over my stomach last class cause he was talking about potential energy. . .

7. dana.amp

Update: I failed Physics. I failed the class by .1 of a point. The teacher failed me by .1 of a point after I did even did all the extra credit. This sucks:(

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Can you take it in summer school and study between now and then?

I tried studying physics on my own when I was homeschooling for high school and couldn't figure it out, figured it just wasn't my thing. Took a couple of physics courses in college and LOVED 'em.

Anyways. One thing I tell my students and people I tutored is that the first step to understanding is figuring out what it is that you don't understand: put together some questions.

Like let's say I read a line from a textbook (The Blue Planet, in this case) and it says "The major thermohaline circulation cells that make up the global ocean conveyer system are driven by exchange of heat and moisture between the atmosphere and ocean."
    And if I didn't understand it and wanted to understand it, I should ask: is it a vocabulary problem? Do I know the words and phrases in this sentence?
    Sometimes I might think it's not a vocabulary problem because I know each individual word, but often it still is because I don't know the phrase. For example, thermohaline means having to do with temperature and saltiness, and circulation means a pattern of movement that is connected, but that doesn't quite tell you what thermohaline circulation is.
    So vocabulary here is: "thermohaline circulation cells" , "global ocean conveyer system", exchange, moisture, atmosphere.

Sometimes when tutoring doesn't help it's because the tutor doesn't really know how to teach the material- they may not know it well enough, or they may know it too well without knowing how to break it down. It will help them if you know what questions to ask.