- advertisement -

pet's names

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mimi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Our current pets are:

Dog - Gus;
    Cats - Mop, Bijou, Rocky;
    Chickens - Hermione, Hilda, Bluebelle;
    Gerbils - Thunder, Lightning, Pineapple and Nick Jonas.

2. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Angel-8 yo shelter cat...she was totally white when we adopted her, my 5 year old son (now almost 13!) named her

Gandalf- Scottish fold 3 year old kitty...my oldest son was big into the Lord of the Ring series at the time

Milo-big orange kitty. He was given to us...this is Josh's cat and he had just seen that older movie Milo and Otis

Lucy-my 8 year old pug dog. I named her after Lucille Ball because she is such a comical girl.

Hank-2 year old black lab mix shelter dog, the boys named him after Hank the cow dog kids book series

Pancho- a Dachshund mix that my parents found in New Mexico,no owner could be found and they couldn't keep him. I volunteered, much to my husbands displeasure:D

3. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

The Jack Russell Terrorist who lives with us is named Kenai (key-ni) which is a river and section of Alaska.

Our first dog was a Sheltie/Scottie mix named Mackenzie. We called her Kenzie. My wife picked it.

I had a dachshund growing up that I got Christmas Day when I was 5. Her name was Christy.

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I've never heard of anyone else naming a cat Cupcake! How cool!

These stories and names are all making me smile. It's great how much we all love our pets.

After my husband and I were married, I got a white kitten. The World Series was on and the fans would boo the opposing team. So, we named him Boo! Of course everyone thought it was because he was all white like a ghost. :D

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our cats are called Prinzival and Cimmaron as their registered names.. the new wild kitten is named Spook...

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Great thread!

Our first dog was a beagle terrier mix and our back yard was all covered in big ivy, and she loved to romp around in it so we named her Ivy..

then we got a mutt who had reddish hair and we named her Ginger..

and we got a bossy calico cat whose official name was Camiflouge Kitty but we caled her Cami..

then we got our best dog ever, a female black lab look alike, and since our son is now a professional jazz musician we named her Billie after Billie Holiday, the jazz singer..the girls kept adding to her name and her full name became Billie Lickie Belle Barker...:)

Oh and I might add that years later we got a daughter in law named Cammy so now we sometimes have to clarify if we are talking about Cami the cat or Cammy the dil ..lol

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My last dog, "Subway" or "subs" because I found him there.

Current dogs, "Shamus" though he was called Conner at the pound, but it just didn't suit him and as a tri-colored border collie, "Shamus" ( O'Famous) just fit him. And "Kiwi" our yorkie, because he's small and brown and fuzzy.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We have two labradoodles. The first is Molly after a character in the book Urgum the Axeman.

The other is named Lyle after the singer, Lyle Lovett.

Two cats, Willow and a big gray cat named Ivan (sometimes "the terrible", sometimes "the terrific")

My oldest son has had a gheko for about 7 yrs named Charlotte.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I have Brutus(19)
    had Bad,Chippy, and Munchkin

Those names usually apply to any cats I get

10. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

You all are so creative!

We currently have a 13 yr old Maltese/Pomeranian named Henley--he's about 5.5 lbs. At the time I was a huge Don Henley fan--you know the Eagles??? DH want to name him Hercules but our daughter who was 6 at the time couldn't pronounce Hercules! So we went with Henley.

T has a beta fish and names him Kevin--you know, after the bird in the movie "Up".

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I got the cutest long haired persian mix when I was a kid. It was the cutest blue-gray ball of fluff. I named him Cuddles. He grew to be 20 pounds of muscle and could put the run on the neighbors rottie. When he was a kitten he climbed up a police officers leg, sinking his claws in... He would randomly attack people. Goodness, I loved that cat. :D

12. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I too had a cat named Cupcake when I was growing up, I got it from the book "Jumping Jackie"..

Right now we have

Boxer - Roscoe
    Boxer - Rocky
    Great Pyrense - Rosey
    Chihuahah - Hershey
    Sheep - Elliot
    Cat- Meow Meow

13. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

We have two jack russell terriers here. The first one was named Lilly. Short for Lilly of the Valley. She got the name when someone saw her picture and said she looked like a Lil lil. We picked up her sister a year ago after we lost Lilly's sister Penny. Penny was named for Pennsylvania which is where she came from. Well when we picked up this dog the name was up in the air. I was thinking Matilda because she was from Port matilda. On the way home we bounced a lot of flower names around. Well we decided upon Petunia. I call her tuna, tunia, and a lot of other names. Our cat is skittleboo because she was as scaredy cat.
    Wendy

14. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Dogs: Chappy ( came with the name hand etched on an id tag that no one ever claimed.Was hbc and witnessed by a good samaritan and then brought to the clinic that I worked at then. We held him for the proper time and he was going to the shelter the next day but came home with me instead) Name stuck. We also call him the Chapman and Chapster.

Sampson (came with the name, was from the NASRN)

Toragana ( we call her Tori, named after a strong female ruler from Turkey. It is where the Anatolian breed comes from)

Paterson (our foster ASD) He also came with the name and unfortunately he responds to it very well. have not found another that he will accept in anyway so far but i am hopeful.

Cats:
    Missy, my daughter named her. One look at her and Lil said her name is Missy. How coul I argue with such confidence.

Jonathon and Jasper, this was the litter of kittens found during the flood that we had to hand rear. Their were 5 total and all named with J's.
    Joy, Jenna, Jake, Jon and Jasper. I named Jasper but Lil named the rest.

Rabbits:
    Bandit(minirex), Lil named due to his markings.
    Hon Rosie(minirex), I named after one of my favorite Redwall characters.
    Chloe(minirex), Arthur named her.

Birds:
    Sophie(conure), came with the name. We were her 3rd home and this was her 2nd name. It did not trigger any bad feelings for her so I left it. It does suit her though.
    Jerken(zebra finch), the children named him.

Gerbils:
    Digger and Rocky(kids named them)
    Chip and Dale(kids named them)
    Annie and Clarabelle(kids named them)
    Martin, Matthius, and Mattimeo (kids named after favorite Redwall characters)

The fish are NOT named after our beloved goldfish of 5 years passed away. His name was Mr. Goldy named by Lil.

I have owned or fostered too many animals through the years to name them all but my 2 favorites who I have to name are Josephine(hubby and a friend from college named her) and Lila (Lil named her)

15. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

As a kid we had a terrier mix dog named Oliver, my mom named him and the black cat, Mister. When I was in high school we found a tiny, not yet weaned kitten. We took him in and it took a while to pick a name. But, one day my mom saw him run down the sidewalk carrying his gorgeous fluffy tail straight up in the air and she said, "look at him, thinking he is so foxy." The name stuck, Foxy.

Mike and I got a border collie/corgi mix at the animal shelter several yrs. back, she had no name so we called her Bonnie Blue (after Rhett and Scarlett's daughter in Gone with the Wind.) Later, my sister's cat came to live with us. They had called him Zipper, but we didn't think that fit so we renamed him Clyde. Mike picked that as he thought it was amusing to have Bonnie and Clyde. When Bonnie was gone we got a white cat I named Cleopatra or Cleo for short. Our most recent addition is a siamese mix that they called Samson at the shelter, but we renamed Murphy. He is lucky because my niece wanted to call him Spongebob, lol.

16. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Cats names.. Tux (tuxedo cat)
    Eightball (another tuxedo cat)
    Flynn (siamese)
    Stormy (grey)
    Spooky (black)
    Mama (her real name was Kashay) but she was just mama

Chameleon was named Espion
    Gecko.. not sure that he had a name, I think it was buddy
    We also have a turtle named Crush.

17. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

Our excuse is that we got Cupcake when Rachel was 5...it was her cat, she picked her out and named her. We thought it was a weird name for a cat, but it fits her!

18. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Over the years I have had several cats..Mittens, Mouser, Pumpkin Pie, Top Cat (TC), Trixie and Soxs. They are gone now, But now I have Annabella and Sneaky.
    Patch is my part lab/border collie mutt. She is black with one white patch!
    My sister had a cats named Shop Rite (found by the grocery store) and Abby (short for abanded) At least she didn't adopt the cat named Back Door!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  19. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We were blessed for many years with a welsh corgi named Annie since she was a little orphan when we met her .

Now we have a little black schnoodle who is another Lucy--seems to be a popular name. We had a hard time naming her and she just looked like a Lucy. She is 9 months old and just a little bundle of energy! Definitely has made a huge impact!:D

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ohh..we have LOTS of animals, are you sure you want to know?

We tend to name our animals real people names, until recently anyway. The names just sort of come to us.

Our long term animals are Zoe, Tasha, and CoCo (dog, cat, cat). Horses are Ginger (cause she's that color), Misty (no idea why) Snap (cause he's Ginger's baby...get it?? GingerSnap!) and Skip (he came with that name).

Goats are always named after food. We won't go there. I have strongly country kids (read that redneck). Animals are food, after all, and the goats are named thus.

The only cow we have named is Charlie. Oh, wait, and BJ...he was born with a broken jaw, thus BJ! I think the kids call another one Blue for its color, I really don't know as I don't consider cows pets. One year we fed 2 steers and their names were steak and fajita.

Our sweet puppies, my kids best friends and companions are named by the kids...one is Dallie, my son ropes and a Dally is a roping term where you tie off the rope on the saddlehorn.

Spaz is my daughter's dog. Yeah. Doncha wonder what YOUR name would be?? We didn't set out to keep her, that was her puppy name and she ended up a family member by accident and the name stuck. It SO fits her.

Both pups were born here and are red heelers. Best dogs EVER. Dallie got kicked by a horse a few weeks after diagnosis, she is my son's dog...still paying off that bill. It was devastating at the time, poor kid was not having a good year. He lost his horse a few months later (Artie). Tough stuff.

I can't imagine life without animals! My favorite dog since childhood was a lab named Willie. My son's first word was WeeWee, calling him! I got him when I was 6 months pregnant, so they grew up together.