- advertisement -

Personal involvement

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by danismom79, Mar 25, 2010.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Seeing some of the concerns from the other threads, I'm wondering how people are planning to make their voices heard, specifically concerning diabetes care. Things were brought up like limiting strips, getting pumps and CGMS covered, having a restricted choice of pumps, etc.

So, what is your plan of action to ensure (or at least try) that our children are not negatively impacted? It's all well and good to debate amongst ourselves here, but no one but us will see that.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

I really don't know what will happen. But if these insurance exchanges work that Republicans have been touting all along, then there will be more competition and companies will strive to have great service. The big pharma companies that make strips, have patents on overpriced analog insulin, and the pump and CGM companies will also exert their influence to keep all these items freely available. So, I'm not worried. I really can't see any of our basic policies changing too much.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

The exchange system that was passed is not what the Republicans proposed at all. The Republican system provided tax and other financial incentives along with the removal of the prohibition on selling insurance across state lines in order to establish huge pools that would then be governed by existing group policy rules.

And here's a link that, if you read it with an open mind, might just alarm you a bit about the administration's lack of knowledge about type 1 diabetes and what their priorities might be:

http://www.healthreform.gov/reports/diabetes/index.html

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

But what are you going to do to increase awareness and understanding? That's what I was trying to get at with this thread, not just a spillover from the other ones.

5. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Personally, it is my duty at this stage to read the entire Bill and decide a course of action at that time. I'm embarrassed to say I've not read it yet, only excerps

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Will contact JDRF if limiting strips, etc. does happen. Actually, this does happen on Sis's insurance plans and she always has to fight. New insurance; may have to fight again now for cgms; not sure. We have fought already and will continue to fight with the insurance companies. I think we should make our voices heard regarding heavy taxes of the medical device manufacturers. Don't know where to start at this time. As the issues arise, it is possible we may have to fight.